PDA

View Full Version : Microlight site not on chart?

Molesworth 1
16th Mar 2009, 21:33
My passenger took this photo on Sunday. I was a little surprised as no microlight site is marked here on the CAA chart. On Google Earth one can see what looks like a short runway with a small plane or microlight taking off.

The position is 51°42'17.20"N 0°16'36.76"W (less than half nautical mile SSW of the De Haviland Heritage Aircraft Centre, near Potters Bar)

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/qq182/DavidHoul52/microlights.jpg

Scott Diamond
16th Mar 2009, 21:36
Perhaps it's new.. or illegal :E

Wouldn't do harm emailing the CAA about it anyway.You'd get a better explanation from them than you would from us; though reading some of their responses I feel like retracting that statement!

Them thar hills
16th Mar 2009, 21:41
More probably private with a large "P" :hmm:

Duchess_Driver
16th Mar 2009, 21:45
Lots of private strips appearing that aren't on the chart.

Perhaps they should set up a special department in the Belgrano to receive all the reports of people committing aviation!:ugh:

trevs99uk
16th Mar 2009, 21:57
The airstrip is London Colney.
Home to the Hertfordshire microlight club.

You missed the Salisbury Hall aurcraft Museum a field to 2 away and also the Arsenal Football club training ground right underneath you.

Also check your map its out of date London Colney should be on the latest map. Caa may have something to say about that.

trevor

Molesworth 1
16th Mar 2009, 22:04
Thanks. Mystery solved. They have two runways - link here (http://www.hertsmicrolightclub.co.uk/gmap.html)

My chart is the latest Memory Map 1:500000. I believe a new one will be out very soon.

Is that the CAA at the door....? :ooh:

gasax
16th Mar 2009, 22:12
I think you need to ask what your expectation of the chart is. Licensed airfields yes - anything beyond that no. Why should a private airstrip appear on the chart?

Molesworth 1
16th Mar 2009, 22:16
Mainly because I don't want to bump into them! Above 2500 feet is Class A.

Pilotdom
17th Mar 2009, 00:16
The way to do that is look out of the window, not at your chart or anything else. Just because an airfield is on the chart, wont stop you running into something.

magpienja
17th Mar 2009, 19:45

And why do you think because there are microlights there that will happen.

Nick.

GyroSteve
17th Mar 2009, 20:01
... and if you looked out of your window even harder you would realise that there are loads and loads of strips out there for fixed wing, micros and others which aren't on the map.

Even if the owner / club tells the CAA they won't necessarily put a strip on the map. Many owners don't want their strip on the map as they don't want visitors - either by air or road.

Rans Flyer
17th Mar 2009, 20:41
It's on the new 1:500.
Don't worry us micro pilots will keep a good look out for the spam can renters with their heads inside the cockpit studying their maps .... Only joking ;-)

Molesworth 1
17th Mar 2009, 20:56
We are taught during PPL training to religiously avoid anything on the charts indicating glider, microlight and hang-glider activity.

From this discussion it's obviously not practical to plan routes avoiding all of these.

In fact, on my little bimble the only a/c I encountered outside of the ATZs was a helicopter hoving over the Elstree Golf Course VRP (really sensible place to stick around considering it's the only route into Elstree) - but no problem - I flew in it's direction for 30 seconds or so - hello I see you - do you see me? before it clattered off lazily towards the M25.

JohnHarris
17th Mar 2009, 22:16
Don't worry us micro pilots will keep a good look out for the spam can renters with their heads inside the cockpit studying their maps .... Only joking ;-)
Yes, please do... you are a nuisance.... especially when you louts can now wizz past me (going in the same direction) in the 150 and grin in at me and think.... "o how times change"...... bas****s I say.:ugh:

xrayalpha
18th Mar 2009, 08:40
Here's another thought!

What do the chart symbols really mean?

The second busiest airfield in Scotland - in terms of based privately-owned aircraft - is East Fortune, south east of Edinburgh. There are c50 weightshift microlights there, but its chart symbol is just a circle with an M inside it.

At Strathaven, we have 20-odd microlights and a few GA types. We are also a circle with an M inside it.

Farmers fields with one Cessna, or one microlight, also get a circle with - or without - an M.

Yet Cumbernauld Airport - with no movements worth talking about after 5pm - has an ATZ, so would appear to be busy, busy!

SEE and avoid!

gpn01
18th Mar 2009, 22:20
We are taught during PPL training to religiously avoid anything on the charts indicating glider, microlight and hang-glider activity.

Well that's a good practice. But don't assume that it doesn't exist if it's not on the chart and keep a good lOOkout and avoid anything on the ground that looks busy too. There's a lot of little airstrips that aircraft operate from which aren't on the map. Also the map only shows where they're taking off and landing. It doesn't show where they are in between!

bingoboy
19th Mar 2009, 09:24
All flexwing microlight pilots are told that fixed wing aircraft are akin to tankers at sea. They just won't turn even if you have right to way.

I don't know if this is due to the aerodynamic qualities of GA aircraft or the fascination of the gps/instruments/in flight entertainment ?

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
19th Mar 2009, 11:49
Blame old Newton; Inertia/Kinetic Energy. A nearly half ton microlight progressing at 45 kts can change velocity (a vector having displacement and direction, of course) a lot quicker than a 2 ton aeroplane progressing at 90 Kts.

The windows of all aircraft are transparent for a very good reason.