PDA

View Full Version : Oldest a/c type in commercial service?

aisleman
3rd Mar 2000, 00:53
Apart from 707s/727s - are there any older types of a/c in commercial passenger and/or freight service these days?

I remember my first flight from Linate to Brussels on a Caravelle, many years ago - with my mouth wide open in awe for the whole flight - I don't suppose there are any of them on active duty these days?

Cheers,
Aisleman http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

nb: And before you flame me, yes I did intend to post this question in the Aircrew Notices (Misc) section of this site but since I can't delete or move it, here it stays! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

[This message has been edited by aisleman (edited 02 March 2000).]

Wino
3rd Mar 2000, 00:59
There are hundreds of DC-3s still in commercial service. Those are 65 years old or so...

B-18 is still going strong too.

Scenic Airlines flies a Ford Trimotor.
Otis Spunkmeyer flies a DC-2

There are some Iron annies out there too (JU-52s, though I don't know if they are still earning a living or just for shows)

Wino

Hamrah
3rd Mar 2000, 01:48
This afternoon at about 2pm, I witnessed the glorious sight of a DC6 passing over Stansted at about 1500ft. I believe it is fully in service as a freighter with Air Atlantique.

Ah Nostalgia........

Cheers

H

Vmike
3rd Mar 2000, 03:14
The Tiger Club at Headcorn has a DH82A Tiger Moth G-ACDC which is used for, among other things, trial flights (i.e.jollies) for members of the public. It is all done on a public transport CofA and is therefore a commercial operation. I fly these trips now and then and its great fun, the punters love it!!

G-ACDC was built in 1933.

If anyone can beat that, I'll eat my hat!

Avman
3rd Mar 2000, 03:55
Aisleman am I right in thinking that your meaning was commercial airliners? If so, there's still a fair number scattered around the world in regular scheduled and ad hoc cargo work, and in some cases even passenger work. Propliners such as the DC-3, DC-4, DC-6, DC-7, Curtiss C-46 Commando, L-188 Electra come immediatedly to mind. Reeve still use their L-188s on scheduled passenger flights. On the jet side I'm not too sure about the Caravelle, but I wouldn't be surprised that one or two are still flying in some of the South American countries as well as the Belgian Congo/Zaire/Democratic Republic of Congo - or whatever they're calling themselves this week!

If you are attracted to propliners, there's an excellent profesionally produced enthusiasts quarterly magazine aptly called PROPLINER. Loads of interesting articles, some written by current or retired pilots, F/Es and various airline personnel. As it's a non-profit publication, I don't think it's available in newsagents. It costs fourteen quid a year and you can subscribe by writing to: "New Roots", Sutton Green Road, Guilford GU4 7QD. The magazine was founded and first produced 21 years ago by the late Stephen Piercey.

pigboat
3rd Mar 2000, 04:57
Buffalo Airways based in northern Alberta someplace operates three or four DC-3s two DC-4s and a C-46 on regular freight service in the Arctic, as well as a flock of PBY5As as water bombers during the fire season. There are six or seven DC-4 and DC-6s in airworthy condition parked in the weeds at CYQB. They belong to a company called Conifair, who also used to own the Connie that now flies in either the MATS or the SAC colours. A good friend ferried this aircraft from CYYY to KFLL after John Travolta bought it. He had a runaway prop on number four. Told me he became an instant Christian.

aisleman
10th Mar 2000, 19:13
Thanks for all the info looks like Vmike gets to keep his hat!

Cheers
Aisleman
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Vmike
10th Mar 2000, 21:12
Phew!

Raw Data
11th Mar 2000, 03:44
Still some Caravelles operational in Belgium, used to be based at Kortrijk.

There were some DH Rapides still doing pleasure flights in New Zealand, as well as (I think) a Puss Moth.

Vmike
11th Mar 2000, 03:58
Uh oh!

Mooney
11th Mar 2000, 15:28
A Caravelle is just waiting to be delivered to Air Gabon, so their still in demand :)

Mycroft
11th Mar 2000, 23:55
I believe a Dragon Rapide sometimes operates air experience/ joy rides from Duxford; and a few years ago the Mosquito Museum were restoring one with the idea of flying it

Avman
12th Mar 2000, 20:24
Raw Data, your data is a little raw I think! There are no operational Caravelles in Belgium. Yes there are two stored at Kortrijk and they may well be airworthy (though I doubt it), but not operational. They've been there a couple of years or more. Originally there were three and one went out to Africa early last year.

Diesel8
12th Mar 2000, 20:34
There is a DC-3 still flying the mail for the USPS out of Indiannapolis.

Raw Data
12th Mar 2000, 21:57
Avman,

Quite possibly. I was flying for a company based at Kortrijk for a while, and whilst enjoying a brew in Biggles one day, got talking to an engineer that told me that a) they were all fully serviceable and that b) every now and again they were used for charters. Having said that, I never noticed them move! Apparently they are very low-hour aircraft.

Flap 5
12th Mar 2000, 22:33
Ah nostalgia! ...its not what it used to be.

m&v
12th Mar 2000, 22:48
Buffalo Bill (hay river-canada)still using dc3/dc4 on commercial ops..pax,fuel frieght

capt waffoo
13th Mar 2000, 03:31
Facts please folks!

The qiestion was "What is the oldest commercial aircraft still operation?"

Dates of entry to service therefore needed for, if I may suggest the shortlist;

G-ACDC, our wonderful Tiger moth (same age as my mum, to the month)

The Dragon Rapide

DC 2

Ford Trimotor (My guess for the prize)

Any Iron Annies ("Tante Ju") still at work.

Or any better ideas anyone has - not so long since Richard Bach was joyriding in a 1929 Park Special after all...is he the last?

ZK-NSJ
4th Oct 2000, 10:40
the rnzaf's a-4k skyhawks

OO-AOG
4th Oct 2000, 13:43
These 3 'belgian' Caravelles were in fact ex-''armee de l'air francaise'' aircrafts that were ferried from PPT to KJK in 1995.
The only one that left KJK is flying for Gabon Express (GEX) out of LBV, the last scheduled passenger Caravelle service in the world.

pics on http://www.gabonexpress.com

The last scheduled pax electras are flown by Reeve Aleutian in Alaska.

Reimers
6th Oct 2000, 19:28
Lufthansa has an Iron Annie that flies under German skies during summer. All are scenic flights, mainly taking half an hour to an hour, but occasionally they also sell the positioning flight to the next city.

Not exactly an airline operation, but I bet they are more often on time than many of the flights in Africa.

Waloo
6th Oct 2000, 23:14
We are running an 1952 B-18, former RCAF Expeditor 3tm......not so old......

The funny thing (sorry if a bit out of threath) came this summer.
We received inside a box from USA "new" carburator parts, wrapped in "1944" paper journos http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif
On the box seal, was also written "1944".
Even got a brand "new" cylinder with "1942" engraved on the base.

Looks like WWII spare parts are still flowing out strongly....