PDA

View Full Version : fly.dsc.net

WorkingHard
14th Mar 2009, 20:21
Anyone tell me what happened to this wonderful site please? Is there an alternative?

Fuji Abound
14th Mar 2009, 22:14
NATS reluctance to provide the data me thinks, and no, there is nothing quite the same.

whirlwind
15th Mar 2009, 03:18
Try here: Introduction | VFR Route Planner | goFLYING (http://www.goflying.org/nav/vfrplan/index.htm)

WW

172driver
15th Mar 2009, 10:10
workinghard, you beat me to it - wanted to start the same thread. What a pity! The site referenced by whilrwind is - at least at first glance - nowhere near the same. Btw, what does NATS have to do with it ??

:(:(:(

Fuji Abound
15th Mar 2009, 14:35
NATS provide the NOTAM data. I think they changed the format of the data and as a result it was not as "easy" to farm the data.

IO540
15th Mar 2009, 14:53
I don't think there was ever an easy way to get the standard raw data (commercial/political considerations prevent its being available); one has to grab it from the official end user site and then parse it, and every time the format changes you have to rewrite the software, and there is a limit to how much of someone's life somebody is going to spend keeping a free service online.

Miles Magister
15th Mar 2009, 14:55
What did you get from flydscnet?

Twiddle
16th Mar 2009, 20:59
fly.dsc.net provided European flight planning as well.

Fuji Abound
17th Mar 2009, 12:04
I don't think there was ever an easy way to get the standard raw data

I didnt mean to imply it was ever necessarily easy but in another place I though the author also said the changes made it even harder to farm the data?

I agree anyone doing this for free would eventually conclude their time could be better spent - sadly :)