PDA

View Full Version : Hangarage at Goodwood?

BigKev9
13th Mar 2009, 10:21
I heard that Goodwood Aerodrome (West Sussex) are building a new hangar with the intent of attracting an aviation company or possibly using for GA light aircraft. Just wondering if anyone has any further info on the hangar or Goodwood itself?

SlipSlider
13th Mar 2009, 19:09
As far as the new hangar at Goodwood is concerned, planning permission was given some months ago (a matter of public record) and construction has started alongside hangar 2, the oldest hangar (which is plain to see if you visit the aerodrome). According to the recent aerodrome information sheet completion is planned for early July.

As far as "Goodwood itself" is concerned, what would you like to know, and (as this is your first post on PPRuNe) for what reason?

Sorry if that sounds unfriendly but as with most airfields there are local antis, and I have no wish to supply ammunition.

My aeroplane has been based there since 2001 and I have been flying from there on and off for >25 years.

BigKev9
16th Mar 2009, 14:18
Thanks for the info SlipSlider, the reason for asking is that im quite local to the airfield and heard a snippit of information and I am just genuinely intersested to find out what people think of the place. So far I have heard only positive things such as: The ATS staff and ground crew are very friendly and accomodating, the field is well maintained and that the whole set up there is very proffesional. Im not part of any antis Im just genuinely intersested in finding out about the place.
What aircraft do you fly at Goodwood? 25 years is a long time, you must be pretty pleased with the place?
If anyone else can offer there opinions on Goodwood or has any info on which companies are looking at going into the new hangar I'd love to hear from you.

Daifly
16th Mar 2009, 20:01
Hi BigKev9, welcome to PPRuNe.

Unfortunately, there's a massive great warning on the bottom of these pages which says As these are anonymous forums the origins of the contributions may be opposite to what may be apparent. In fact the press may use it, or the unscrupulous, or sciolists*, to elicit certain reactions.

As a result, you'll find us all a little bit "why are you asking that...?" on here - nothing sinister, just we don't want to shoot ourselves in the collective foot by being quoted on something!

If you really want the lowdown on Goodwood (a fine airfield which provides homes to many jobs and aircraft which bring in money to the locality) why not pop down there? I've flown in on a number of occasions and also driven in and they have always been generally friendly and happy to chat. If you go there you'll certainly get a better idea of the place than you will from the posts on here. :ok:

And, who knows, you might even like the place!

Squeegee Longtail
16th Mar 2009, 20:39
"If anyone else can offer there opinions on Goodwood or has any info on which companies are looking at going into the new hangar I'd love to hear from you."

Sorry BigKev, but you are not for real. Normal people don't just "wonder" about the things you are asking about.

People unconnected with flying don't just stumble on PPRuNe and use it for what you are asking.

You have a motive.

BigKev9
19th Mar 2009, 11:46
Thanks Daifly,
Thats all I was really after. Just some general opinions on the place. Me and a couple of others are looking at purchasing and basing an aircraft there and I thought I'd do a bit of research before diving in. Thought it would be useful to get some non-biased opinions.

Squeegee Longtail, thanks for your input, as unhelpful as it was. At no point did I say I was unconnected with flying and nor did I "just stumble upon PPRUNE". It was recommended to me by a colleague as a useful tool for finding out information. That is exactly what Im trying to do. I dont want to purchase an aircraft and base it somewhere where the service is useless, I cant access my plane and that is going to close down like a number of other south coast airfields.
It sadens me that you have such a suspicious mind about people. Why respond if you had nothing useful or relevant to say about the topic?

foxmoth
19th Mar 2009, 13:38
Kev, it might help people not shoot you down as a possible nimby if you put a bit more about yourself in your profile!
I have a part share in a Falconar there. Goodwood is generally good though a bit pricey, one good thing is that they allow you to fly out of hours which is handy on the long summer evenings. Flying club is OK though there is the odd bod that they could do without (but then don't all clubs have that!). Winter it can get a bit boggy and if they get a LOT of rain they occasionally close because of that.

SlipSlider
19th Mar 2009, 22:04
BK9 I remain unconvinced about the motives behind your question. “Me and a couple of others are looking at purchasing and basing an aircraft there ……”. Your profile says you live in Chichester, so where else did you learn to fly and have been flying subsequently with the licence that quoted statement implies that you have, other than the aerodrome that is right on your doorstep? And where else would you base an aeroplane anyway? Many miles away from home? Or have you and the “couple of others” prospective aircraft partners all just moved in to the area? I find it difficult to accept that you are seriously connected with flying yet have no knowledge of the immediately local facility.

It may indeed sadden you that people have suspicious minds, but believe me, in my case that’s based on a couple of bitter experiences gained in my former work life. Sadly people are not always what they seem.

Convince me that you are genuine and I’d be pleased to meet and discuss further. Use this website’s PM or e-mail facility if you wish.

However, to answer your question in general terms: as foxmoth says, Goodwood is “generally good though a bit pricey”, and I find it a pleasant place to fly from.

In my experience the air traffic staff and ground ops crew are excellent (not perfect, but then neither am I), and to date I have certainly not encountered any of the “little dictator” syndrome that can sometimes be found in aerodrome management.

The airfield is equipped with three runways and so crosswinds are rarely a problem, although are available for practice purposes. The runways and outfield are all grass so, yes, water logging can be a problem in the winter leading to occasional closures, but hey, that‘s life in this country - and there is always another day. The ability to fly out of hours, not an option at many airfields, is a pleasure to be savoured on quiet summer evenings. There are publicised noise abatement procedures, and to the best of my knowledge reasonable complaints from the public are listened to and addressed. However, some complainants are simply unreasonable. Hangarage space is now available, as you already know, as well as tie-downs.

The Goodwood brand image is unashamedly one of refined quality, and that applies to the airfield as well. Quality has a price. Personally I do not mind paying a reasonable premium if there is commensurate value for money. My aircraft has been based there since 2001, so you can draw your own conclusions.