PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Maurtius

vancouv
13th Mar 2009, 10:03
Having searched the forum, it looks like there isn't any GA on Mauritius - is that still the same? I wouldn't want to self hire, just with an instructor.

And does anyone have any tips for helicopter sight-seeing flights?

Rocket2
13th Mar 2009, 11:47
Air Mauritius had some Jet Rangers ferrying people from the airport to the various hotels & golf courses when I was there some years ago. Never saw any GA & probably for a very good reason, any bit of land has either a hotel or sugar cane plantation on it & landing in the water would be very nasty with the coral reefs (except for those where the hotels have destroyed them).
Have a great holiday there

chevvron
13th Mar 2009, 11:56
Used to be a strip housing a 172 near Grande Baie years ago; they did sightseeing trips.

MANAGP
14th Mar 2009, 01:02
That'll be the football pitch then! There is a ultralight seaplane that operates out of Grande Baie, for pleasure flights.

Unusual Attitude
14th Mar 2009, 18:25
Took the Heli transfer a few years ago with Air Mauritius as my resort was over on the west coast (Flic En Flac). Jetranger pilot was from Oban so we had a good chat during the trip and he pretty much confirmed whats said above, him and one fixed wing sightseeing trip were pretty much the only GA on the island!