PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to...

egbgstudent
12th Mar 2009, 08:51
Going back oh, errrrm a few years there were 3 items that circulated various airfields around the country. They were...

1, The elephants bumhole. This was a knotted peice of wood mounted on a plaque that did indeed resemble an elephants a$$ :eek:

2, Bridget Bardot. Rather self explanatory. This was a framed picture of the lady herself :ok:

3, The lines book(s). This (these) were a4 sized books full on one liners and quotes. Great reading around the clubs bar of an evening. :D

The rules were simple. If you were in possesion of these items, they were to be on display at all times... But beware...

Visiting pilots would then attempt to releive said airfield of these items for display at their own home field :=.

I do remember them being at Leicester at various times during the late 80's. I also remember various tackles as we tried our best to defend them. This included one poor sneek who was leterally rugby tackled just yards from his plane :ouch:. There was another occasion whereby a visitor was able to take off with them, only to be followed, and lose possesion within 10 minutes of arrival at his home field :uhoh:.

Ok, so what I am wondering is whether these items are still being displayed and fought over, or has the legend passed on :confused:

acoulson
12th Mar 2009, 17:51
Its been years since I was at Tibenham (shame!) but I do remember the Elephant's Bum ... I didn't appreciate its heritage though.
(2003 ish?)
Andy

foxmoth
12th Mar 2009, 21:17
Lines book were standard in any service squadron, had details of any cock ups/ embarasing moments by people on the squadron, usually with photos if possible.

Sir George Cayley
12th Mar 2009, 21:37
The Wellie Trophy :ok::D

It spent more time airborne between Barton and Netherthorpe than anyone else:):)

Them'ss were the days

Sir George Cayley

Duchess_Driver
12th Mar 2009, 22:54
Do remember an entry in our line book many years ago....a certain shiney new officer was commenting on how easy the issue aircrew watches were to read .... only to turn up for work an hour early the next day 'coz he'd mis-read said article.

Kept us all amused for many a moon!

"Where's the end?"

Them thar hills
13th Mar 2009, 07:03
The Tap-on-Wood Trophy.
A similar idea to the Wellie, but was a Barton-Sherburn thing.
From the days when flying wasn't an excuse to take a GPS for half a day out.:hmm:

egbgstudent
13th Mar 2009, 16:42
Perhaps then, the time has come to do something about this then.

Instead of flying off in the same direction for the famed £50 bacon butty, why not go out there, and try and locate these said items, and bring back a few old traditions;)

BroomstickPilot
13th Mar 2009, 18:16
A bacon butty for only £50!

Where?

Where?

Broomstick.