PDA

View Full Version : Post Secondary...

Travers114
11th Mar 2009, 03:33
Hello,
I am currently in 11th year high school and was wondering what the best route after secondary school would be. I seem to be stumped at all of the sheets that are handed to me asking me what type of school I would like to attend and what I would like to study. The truth is, I have no idea what I would need or should do if I would like to become a commercial pilot.:confused: Would anyone be able to recommend any course of action for me to take? Currently, I'm thinking about BCIT, what with it being rather accessible for me, but I'm not sure if that's the road I wish to travel. Also, should I start working towards a ppl now, or would it be better to wait a while and obtain that through one of these courses? Very confused as of yet. Originally I was moving towards rotary aviation, but schools seem to be few and far between, pay seems a step lower than fixed wing and I have no idea what would be a good direction for post secondary. To keep things simple, I have come here to ask the fine individuals of PPRuNe for some guidance. My ultimate question is, plain and simple: "What do I need to do to fly helicopters for a living?" But any information/experience would be greatly appreciated.

-Travers H.

Tim Horton
11th Mar 2009, 15:17
Try avcanada.ca and check out the heli forum, everything you need to know will be there.

Travers114
12th Mar 2009, 00:01
Thanks, I'll have to check that out.

er340790
12th Mar 2009, 18:10
If I had my time again, I'd probably go for one of the Aviation Management courses - ACE at CYQT has one where you leave with a degree in business and Commercial Pilot's Licence with seaplane ratings. They were focussed primarily on the fly-in tourism sector. Also do a/c maintenance courses etc. Worth looking into.

Travers114
13th Mar 2009, 02:52
Thanks for that. The float endorsement has really piqued my interest.

tractor007
14th Mar 2009, 13:57
Check out PRO IFR in Boundary Bay, they have a Heli Division, and the Staff there are great people to answer your questions on what the requirements are to become a Heli Pilot.

sepia
15th Mar 2009, 00:57
Confederation in Thunder Bay doesn't offer rotary wing training. The only formal college that does is Cannadore in Sudbury I believe.

saudipc-9
16th Mar 2009, 15:20
Travers.

Go Air Force!! The civy sector is sinking and one of the best and most secure gigs in town is the Air Force. They will pay you to go to university if you qualify and don't have any physical limitations. (i.e eyesight)

After that you can fly choppers, jets multi-engine..

kanin
16th Mar 2009, 17:58
I agree with saudipc-9

I would definately go military if I were to start all over again.
Let them pay for everything.
If thats not for you, I would recommend a 4year degree with your licenses...the airlines are starting to look for this...

Have fun... stick it through... you'll love it!

Westward_Bound
17th Mar 2009, 03:25
What really annoys me is that flight training, which in essence is "school" and costs on average 35k, isn't looked at the same as post secondary.

In other words, getting a degree ON TOP of flight training is like going to school twice! For me at least, I could only afford one or the other. Sucks that the richer guy might get that airline job instead of me. Hopefully the interviewing staff understand that some people can only afford flight training, or a degree, not both. It's not like any other jobs require 2 degrees!!!(I'm sure there are, but you get my drift)

What do some of you senior guys think about that? And what would u suggest to me if I wanted a job with an airline that required/requested a degree?

Does this industry really lack humanity and compassion?

Tim Horton
17th Mar 2009, 15:16
I really don't think it matters as much anymore whether you have a degree or not. If you fit the right matrix as far as multi turbine PIC hours you will be qualified as much as the next guy.

ng78
18th Mar 2009, 22:20
I concur with the above - try avcanada forums.

With respect to the degree, you don't need one to fly airplanes. Many airlines request or require pilots to have degrees, and you never know how that will shift in ten years when you have 3000 plus hours and looking for that airline job. If all you want to do is fly helicopters, I doubt any of them will give any preference to candidates with degrees.

On the other hand, a degree will give you a backup in case you are unable to crack the industry. There could be medical reasons that crop up from out of nowhere, or you can lose that love for flying altogether. It happens more often than you think.

Finally, start as soon as you can! Get the PPL out of the way before you go to university if you decide to do that. At least that will be out of the way, and you can then take friends and family up flying and build your time accordingly. Then you'll be 21 or 22 with a degree and CPL and you'll be golden.

Good luck!

Travers114
20th Mar 2009, 18:58
Thanks everyone. I've been out of town for the past week, but going over your comments I can say I appreciate them greatly. Frankly, I would like to go with the air force route as they foot the bill and you get to train with some of the best people and equipment. Although my parents aren't fond of it, so that pretty much crosses that option off my list. I would like to get a degree as backup, should some problem arise, but the cost is worrying. The prospect of having your dream taken away from you due to an uncontrollable factor is very scary, I would hate to have something happen like an injury to cost me my career as a pilot. Like Westward_Bound I find it frustrating that the pilot training itself isn't looked at in the same light as a typical post secondary education. Thanks Tim Horton for the link to avcanada, it's already proven useful. I think I will follow ng78's advice and attempt to get the PPL out of the way while I am still in high school. Some obscure family members of mine have done it, but they didn't live in Vancouver either.

Thanks again,
-Travers H.

saudipc-9
22nd Mar 2009, 18:18
Although my parents aren't fond of it, so that pretty much crosses that option off my list.

Ahhhhh! Well if you need your parents permission for what you want to do with the rest of your life, then you are correct, the Air Force is not the right choice for you.

If however you are ready to grow a pair, be a man (or woman) take charge of your own destiny then maybe you might stand a chance of getting somewhere in life.
I'm not trying to be rude kid but if you said something along those lines in an interview you would find yourself kicked out on the street pretty quickly!!

Travers114
22nd Mar 2009, 19:31
If I really wanted to join the airforce, I assure you that no one would prevent me from doing so (except for maybe a doctor:p) but the reality is I don't particularly want to join, I just saw it as one of the many paths available to achieve my personal goals.