PDA

View Full Version : Long Marston Accident / 2 arrested on suspicion of murder

JAR FCL
9th Mar 2009, 20:34
From the BBC News website. Just had a thought, if it was murder, I don't suppose its an accident really is it?

Murder probe into aircraft death

Two people have been arrested on suspicion of murder after a man died when he was hit by a gyrocopter at an airfield in Warwickshire.
The man, thought to be in his 40s, was pronounced dead at the scene of the incident at Long Marston airfield near Stratford-upon-Avon.
Police said it was "too early" to tell what had happened but an investigation was under way.
No one else was injured in the incident, an ambulance spokesman said.
'Thorough investigation'
Det Ch Insp Adrian McGee said: "I can confirm that we are dealing with an incident at Long Marston airfield involving a gyrocopter and that, sadly, a man has died as a result of the incident.
"It is far too early to tell what has occurred at the airfield at this stage.
"We will be conducting a thorough investigation into the circumstances to establish exactly what happened here today." West Midlands Ambulance Service said crews were called to the airfield on Campden Road, Lower Quinton, at about 1500 GMT. A spokeswoman said: "Crews immediately assessed the pedestrian, a man, but unfortunately nothing could be done to save him and he was confirmed dead at the scene.

JAR FCL
9th Mar 2009, 20:42
From the Mail online

Two men arrested on suspicion of murder after pedestrian following hunt killed by low-flying gyrocopter | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1160724/Two-men-arrested-suspicion-murder-pedestrian-following-hunt-killed-low-flying-gyrocopter.html)

Dysag
9th Mar 2009, 21:07
It seems the hunter got hunted.

JAR FCL
9th Mar 2009, 21:30
You know, I thought that but didnt really want to say it.

captplaystation
9th Mar 2009, 22:38
Only in England := :ugh:

Lone_Ranger
10th Mar 2009, 08:53
Not really capt, there are perverts getting a power trip off stressing and killing defenceless animals all over the world

S-Works
10th Mar 2009, 08:55
Not really capt, there are perverts getting a power trip off stressing and killing defenceless animals all over the world

Nothing like politically charged crap to start the day off.

aviate1138
10th Mar 2009, 09:59
Idiots releasing killer minks that have ruined the lives of countless water voles/moorhens etc.

Must be justifiable because anti vivisection is a religion and religion rules - everything is permissible to save the odd rat or two.

If the Rotorsport MT-03 as reported, was swooping down and intimidating the hunt then the 500 foot rule was probably broken and I do hope the idiot concerned gets his comeuppance.

The anti hunt group `Protect our Wild Animals' had one in the cockpit at Long Marston it seems.....

lastgasp
10th Mar 2009, 10:13
God help us. This is typical of pprune threads.

A human being is dead. No-one knows who he was or what he was, but somewhere a family is grieving a tragic loss.

No shred of humanity or common decency displayed on pprune. Straight away you get pond-slime posting snide comments based on irrelevant prejudices.

You should be ashamed.

halftidy
10th Mar 2009, 10:39
I would point out that this pilot had been reported to the CAA and the police a number of times in the past few weeks for 'buzzing' local hunts. It has been flying well below the 500' level and terrifying not just those on horseback, but farm animals, herds of milking cows and inlamb ewes. It seems that an accident of some sort was almost inevitable. The tragedy that happened yesterday is quite dreadful. A man is dead. A family has lost a loved one. Our thoughts are with them at this time.

Avitor
10th Mar 2009, 10:49
Throw the book at him, he was not flying in a manner conducive to public safety.
....something I expect from every pilot.

Basil
10th Mar 2009, 11:21
A point for those ignorant of English law:
Hunting with dogs is illegal. This one-time foxhunt would have been riding to hounds but on a drag hunt. A scent trail is laid and off go the hounds. A good ride is had by all but with no fluffy foxxy fvcking at the end.

Unfortunately the ex hunts are still harrassed by people whom I'd place in the same category as Animal Liberation Front, Plane Stupid, Fathers for Justice, Green Custard Girlie, etc.

I make no comment upon the gyrocopter incident and will await the outcome of the AAIB investigation. I doubt that the report will be as cut & dried as those on either side would hope.

Deccor
10th Mar 2009, 11:36
Dysag,

"It seems the hunter got hunted"

I think your little comment is very insensitive. A person has been killed, and left behind a family and friends.
Do you think this man deserved being killed, because that is how i read you post. You might not mean it, and i appologise if thats the case. Please be a bit more careful in what you say, Families and friends may well read your comments.

Fg Off Max Stout
10th Mar 2009, 12:09
What a bizarre event. The headlines and murder investigation would imply that the aircraft was deliberately manoeuvred to strike the pedestrian, whether airborne or landing. However, reading the articles it seems that the aircraft was taxying after landing. Now, if the man intended to remonstrate with the crew and stepped into the taxyway to try to force the gyrocopter to stop or entered the rotor disk without clearance or an understanding of the dangers, then the accident would be his own doing. I find it very hard to imagine that any pilot (no matter how 'extremist' his views) would deliberately attempt to kill a person by running them down with his aircraft.

This is of course my own speculation. I will be very interested to see how this investigation continues. The above being an accident would not excuse the alleged behaviour of the crew in the previous weeks. If indeed he was using the aircraft to illegally low fly with the intention of harassing people on the ground, I hope the CAA would take firm action.

holedriller
10th Mar 2009, 23:18
Tonights TV shots suggest that the only damage to the gyro is to the pusher propeller. which makes the charge of murder even harder to understand. Did the pilot get up that day and think 'I will go out with my gyro and murder a hunt supporter'. Did he then persuade the supporter to leave the hunt and go to a private airfield? Did he subsequently compel the supporter to go out on the taxiway and run him down? Surely beyond the bounds of possibility, and premeditation.
If the pilot had just landed, he is unlikely to know who the man was from Adam. If a trespasser run up to or in front of the gyro surely any pilots reaction would be to try and avoid him?
The fact that the pusher propeller appears to have done the damage suggests that the gyro was stopped, and the hunt supporter somehow was hit by it. How could the pilot possibly have made that happen. Hence how can it possibly be murder. My money would be on an altercation resulting in him slipping. Sad outcome, yes, but murder, no way.

vanHorck
11th Mar 2009, 08:17
please stop posting here, the thread runs on Rotorheads and is far more informative

Basil
11th Mar 2009, 10:11
please stop posting here, the thread runs on Rotorheads and is far more informative
Sir! Yes sir!

hatzflyer
11th Mar 2009, 10:59
Private Flying.LAA/BMAA/BGA/BPA/.
Autogiro,administered by LAA in this country.
Q.E.D.:ok:

jonkil
11th Mar 2009, 23:18
Pilot charged with murder this evening, not good for GA.

jxk
12th Mar 2009, 07:13
Rotorsport MT03 on a CAA Permit to Fly.

Blues&twos
12th Mar 2009, 07:35
Pilot charged with murder this evening, not good for GA.

Was it definitely the pilot who was charged? I hadn't read anywhere which of the two men originally arrested had been locked up. I was wondering whether the murder charge followed an altercation between the victim and someone based on the ground as the gyro was taxiing.

Lister Noble
12th Mar 2009, 09:03
A man has been charged with murder,and will appear in court today.
The man is not named and it does not say he was the pilot.

It's all very sad whatever the outcome.
Lister