PDA

View Full Version : NJI Ceased Ops

The Guvnor
10th Nov 2001, 14:16
I hear that National Jets Italia - which had been the subject of some discussion on these pages - ceased operating yesterday afternoon.

Hope British World didn't get taken for too much!

Obi Wan Kirk
10th Nov 2001, 15:45
This piece of news doesn't suprise me as it was a very confusing operation. British Airways colors, BWA AOC, Australian pilots, all operating in Italy employed by a company in Jersey...

Dry Martini
10th Nov 2001, 15:52
I haven't been in Rome much since Feb/March, but back then on the Rome to Catania and Palermo sectors they were packing them in on every sector. The travelling public just couldn't seem to get enough NJI.
Then there was a float, raising millions (not to mention the millions that Aerospace may have offered them to get started with the 146's. Remember Eurodirect?)
When and how did it manage to go so wrong?
Was there some skulduggery somewhere? :(

Grease Weasel
10th Nov 2001, 17:04
Probably had a lot to do with the 2 737's and 3 unsuccessful destinations - Nice, Milan and Athens. The loads for Palermo and Catania have remained very good so it's a huge shame this has happened. Lets hope something can be salvaged from this. Gutted. :(

schit.furbraen
10th Nov 2001, 19:41
I heared the 4x 146's left Italy! any news?
And the upbeat party held in a local bar went on late. 1 1st officer had to be carried out!! not the only casualty then...

ABBOT
10th Nov 2001, 19:50
As of today, NJI have not at this time gone into liquidation either voluntary or involuntary, but have apparently terminated leases on all aircraft in fleet. I spent a hectic few months flying FCO/PMO/CTA & Milan sectors in 737 3/400's earlier this year. Good luck to all in NJI. :(

schit.furbraen
11th Nov 2001, 02:17
Abbot,
I think they owned 2 of the aircraft. hard to end leases on them?

starship
11th Nov 2001, 05:36
Which company, based in Jersey employs the crew? Appreciate any feedback on who owns NJI etc. Sorry, but not really an operator I have much knowledge of.

cheers,

starship :)

[ 11 November 2001: Message edited by: starship ]

america's cup
11th Nov 2001, 17:30
All my moral support to all NJI employees who lost their job.

This is anyway the "unfortunate end-result" of a lot of airline enterprises, with the vast majority of others struggling to survive even in good times. Except a few examples (Southwest Airlines being the best one), they seem not to be worthy of real emulation from all those "scientists" in the airline business with Phd, very high "ego" levels, "experience" and a lot of "communication skills"....on b......t!!!...as the everyday aviation reports flood us.

These "scientists" would never mention things like... vision..company culture...values and beliefs...family atmosphere... respect...dignity...love...: they might try to use those words, but being miles away from the real meaning.

The only thing they can use are some financial tools and a lot of fooling up with people....this is what we experience everyday.

A very often misjudged aviation quotation says:" The airline business is won and lost at the margins". This is a business where if you apply ONLY financial principles you are heading toward failure.

This is actually what happens in the vast majority of cases.

An organization can be successful if it has a HEART and a SOUL: this is the sine qua non condition!

What we continously see is a lot of "financial tools" based airlines that inevitably produce: CEOs with pockets filled up with money, industrial debris, unhappy people (employees ,customers, shareholders)and lost confidence in this sector!!!

bright eyes
11th Nov 2001, 20:24
That would be Warren Seymours NJI then. I heard that the 146 aircraft were some of the the Ex UNI-Air ( Ex-Makung Taiwan) aircraft purchased by NJI, with a little help from British Airways and BAE. :eek:

PenPusher
12th Nov 2001, 01:29
Two of the BAe 146's have turned up in Dublin for storage/CityJet ??.

EGTE
12th Nov 2001, 02:08
The other two '146s arrived at Exeter on Friday. I understand that the '737s may be at Lasham.