PDA

View Full Version : How to log sim time

KrootTheBirdman
8th Mar 2009, 12:30
I'm rather new to the sim and I want to know how to log it.

Let's say I do a recurrent in a G4 sim. Do I log the time as "jet" AND as "sim" or just as sim? If my training partner and I swap seats do I log my time in the left seat as "PIC" and that in the right as "SIC"?

And lets say I do an initial in something else. How do I log the instructional portion of the training that I receive, both in the left and the right seats? And how about the checkride?

Of course, logging requirements vary from country to country so I'm primarily interested in what employers will look for so I will know the most effective way of recording it. Will they count my sim jet time in my total jet time? Will they count my left seat sim jet time as "PIC jet" time? Or do they just look at sim time as just that - not really "jet" or "PIC" or "SIC" or anything else?

Thanks in advance!

BelArgUSA
8th Mar 2009, 13:57
It took me a long time to think this one over.
So... Simulator, PIC, SIC, Jet, Prop, Blimp, Hot Air Balloon, Kite, Toilet Seat... ???
How about a column labeled SIM (-ulator).
xxx
Wow, donīt you admire and respect my pilot experience... ???
We "pros" are glad to assist.
xxx
:E
Happy contrails

GlueBall
8th Mar 2009, 13:59
Simulator time is logged only in the "Simulator" or "Ground Trainer" column; it counts only as simulator training time and should not be included in your airplane PIC or SIC airplane time nor in your "total" airplane flight time column. Sim time is always separated and stays separated from your actual "pilot at controls" airplane time.

Think of it this way: A simulator is never an airplane, and no simulator has true airplane fidelity, no matter how sophisticated. Simulators cannot mimic true airplane inertia, they are not pressurized and cannot fly upside down.

411A
8th Mar 2009, 14:28
...and cannot fly upside down.

Yup, and it's a good thing, too.:}
Although I have seeen a few pilots try....:uhoh:

Wyle E Coyote
8th Mar 2009, 18:08
...and cannot fly upside down

Some of the newer ones do great barrel rolls though.

The older ones sometimes fall off the jacks during a barrel roll, leaving the pilots stranded for about half an hour while the engineers re-boot the computers.... I little embarrassing, but rather funny.....and one to chalk up to experience.

KrootTheBirdman
19th Mar 2009, 22:30
Thanks all. Glueball, I'm doing it your way now. Thanks!