PDA

View Full Version : What to do next? Suggestions?

lookingabroad
6th Mar 2009, 18:10
I'm not sure what I can do next. In 2000, I made the mistake of cheating on my wife and breaking up a marriage that I was unhappy with. To make a long story short, she accused me of threatening her with a golf club. I never had any reason to become physically abusive her whatsoever. It was her word against mine, I fought it, and unbelievably I lost in court, thanks to a poor defense attorney. This is a felony domestic violence menacing conviction. So due to the conviction I had to retire from flying 747's as first officer. Then 9/11 happened and the TSA was formed. Evidently, the TSA says this conviction falls under the category of items of "Felony involving a threat." So therefore I'm not allowed to fly large aircraft or 12,500 or above, you've heard it, the 12-5 rule. At that time I was a learjet captain flying business executives and air ambulance operations. So I was again grounded from flying learjets. So since then I moved to another flying job flying Part 91, and then again moved to flying King Airs under Part 135 at a smaller airport. Well the company I work for is moving to a larger airport where the airport badging system is in effect, and it requires a 10 year background check which has the same fingerprinting check that I probably will not be able to pass. My present employer was aware of my background when he hired me. They don't want to see me go. I was told I am a model employee and pilot. I am a professional pilot. I have over 11,000 flight hours, 4 year degree, extensive experience. But I feel I keep getting knocked over or repeatedly punished for something I did NOT do. My question is, does anyone know if I am able to fly in other countries professionally now? Or must I just wait till the 10 year background check is clean, another 2 1/2 years? I've never had anything else bad happen to me in my life. I just want to continue to fly professionally. I'm not a terrorist. I just want my life back. If there's a moral to this story, it's Hell has no fury like a woman scorned. Remember it guys! It's true.

mutt
7th Mar 2009, 03:02
Get out of the USA, pity that you didnt do it sooner as your options would have been greater, but with your 747 experience you could apply to Saudi Airlines > Welcome to Saudi Arabian Airlines (http://www.saudiairlines.com) as they are seeking FO's. You would obtain a local rating so the TSA arent involved.

Good Luck

Mutt

Der absolute Hammer
7th Mar 2009, 06:20
You say that the golf club scene took place in 2000 and that the back life check is a ten year check. So, after ten years you are in the clear?
Would it not be easier to come to an arrangement with your present employer, or take a furlough, so that you did not have to operate out of te new airpoirt until the ten years were up? Then, with possibly a little gap spent fishing in the Gulf of mexico, you could resume the life and the flying career with your present good employer who likes you?
Jobs are a little hard to find at the moment. I do not know what happens in places like Saudi but I would think it is possible that your background will be checked. For may places, for a residents permit you have to provide police certficates of good character.

lookingabroad
15th Mar 2009, 16:32
I'm not sure flying internationally is an option for me. Last thing I want is to be held at immigration upon arrival and be shipped out. I'm not sure anyone would hire me to fly internationally since several countries would not allow me to operate into their country due to customs and immigration. One such country would be Canada. Waivers can be obtained, but only after a pardon. I would have to fly only within a country that would not have restrictions for me.

lookingabroad
15th Mar 2009, 16:46
As far as I know I would be able to fly large aircraft and obtain airport badge again after being able to pass the "10 year background fingerprinting check". In my case that would be September, 2011. Regarding residency permits, I wouldn't establish residency in that country if I didn't have to. I would commute. I'm not sure how that would work. I was just wondering if anyone out there knows of anyone else in a similar position. Having talked to the TSA when I first was grounded from flying learjets, and trying to plead with them that I'm not someone to be afraind of, there were only a handful of pilots that the rule actually affected. A lot of expense for just a handful of people, wouldn't you say? But I'm sure the general public feels a lot safer now that pilots are subjected to background checks.

lookingabroad
15th Mar 2009, 18:01
I immediately appealed the case with a different attorney. He was totally overwhelmed of the lousy job my original attorney did. He said the only grounds I have for an appeal was on the negligent representation of my original lawyer. Appeals are normally based on objections in the original trial. There were no objections by my original lawyer. I spent 5000.00 for the appeal. I was told it would be hard to convince the appeals court that this would be good grounds for an appeal. It wasn't allowed and it was turned down. My only option is a pardon. I am attempting to get that. However, pardon applications in that state are normally considered until 10 years beyond end of sentencing, however I'm trying anyways. And by that time my 10 year background check should pass. Thanks for your reply.

BelArgUSA
15th Mar 2009, 18:11
lookingabroad -
xxx
I would very much go with our friend AFSKAP opinion, if your side of the story and circumstances are true and correct. After all, it appears that you are still out of jail, did not use your nš 9 iron on the head of the aforementioned lady since the 8 years it did happen, and in other terms are a "good boy" since then. A good lawyer would be a great investment, should you be able to afford one.
xxx
Recall our friend O.J. Simpson, was innocent (ha ha ha) and, if he had been a Delta Air Lines captain instead, he would have had no interruption in his career. USA lawyers are wonderful. They just ask you "how much LAW can you afford"...?
xxx
All the best to you, and head for Saudi Arabia on the 747.
:ok:
Happy contrails