PDA

View Full Version : easyJet to require photographic identification on domestic flights

LTN man
10th Nov 2001, 11:02
Message from easyland

From Monday 12 November, easyJet is introducing enhanced security measures at every airport and will require all passengers travelling on easyJet domestic flights to provide photographic identification (eg passport, national identity card or driving licence with photo) when they check in. It is essential that airlines are able to reconcile passengers to bookings, and ensure that the person who booked to go on a flight is the same person who actually travels.

Passengers on French domestic flights - ie between Nice and Geneva - will have to provide either a passport, national identity book, or a French family book.

The documentary requirements for passengers on International flights will remain as before (ie passports or national identity cards supported by any other relevant documentation such as visas).

The introduction of these measures goes over and above what is currently required by law. However, in light of the current security situation and the changing environment in which airlines are operating, easyJet believes that these new procedures are in the interests of passengers and airline staff alike.

There will be fun and games on Monday as most passengers will not be aware of easyjet’s latest rule.

[ 10 November 2001: Message edited by: LTN man ]

Mach Alt Star
10th Nov 2001, 11:14
Why???

I would imagine that the terrorists on 11/9/01 were in possesion of all the above documents, but as they were not know to the intelligence services then it would not make a blind bit of difference.

If global security is about to be threatened by an organisation capable of putting to together a basic atomic weapon, then I fancy cobbling together some fake ID is well within their means.

Well done Easyjet for the jobsworth of the year award, such a brain dead scheme must have been inspired by the idiots in charge of security at BHX.

:mad: :mad: :mad: W@nkers

Gypsy
10th Nov 2001, 11:43
There are aspects of security that Mach Alt Star doesn't seem to understand and I'm not going to discuss details of them here. Loopholes in previous procedures exist and closing them, even the small ones, is a good idea.

Much of what was the norm and acceptable before Sept 11th isn't now. Well done eJ!

[ 10 November 2001: Message edited by: Gypsy ]

The Guvnor
10th Nov 2001, 11:59
Gypsy - agreed.

There are also commercial ramifications to all this - you don't want someone buying a cheapie ticket and flogging it off to his mate when that person would otherwise have been charged for a more expensive one! :D :D :D

Devils Advocate
10th Nov 2001, 12:59
Actually eJ are just stealing a march on some soon-to-be-introduced government ruling requiring that ALL pax produce some form of official documentation w.r.t. to their bonefides - there is also a EU mandated component of compliance to this in that all states will be required comply.

But just don't ask me how I know all this ! :cool:

Buster the Bear
10th Nov 2001, 13:49
I know of people who have done just what the Guv states above!

[ 10 November 2001: Message edited by: Buster the Bear ]

kriskross
10th Nov 2001, 14:39
Interesting....
On UK domestic flights as well....
It just happens that in the UK, there is no national identity card, the driving licence does not carry a photo, and I would guess that not everyone has a passport, and EZY are hoping to take passengers from the railways on domestic flights??? Is this just EZY or have these rules come down to all airlines from above???

bluff
10th Nov 2001, 14:52
More as a point of information really, but this has been a requirement in the USA for a number of years.

Gypsy
10th Nov 2001, 14:57
I don't think there are any national rules on this yet but they may be not far away.

Guv - glad you agree. Its not a commercial thing though but security and I'm glad to see it.

I don't think there are many people within the UK that don't have some form of photo ID, and perhaps national ID cards aren't that far away either - and thats a whole new topic!

Doctor Cruces
10th Nov 2001, 16:32
And what's the point of it anyway?

Like banning all hand guns in the UK stopped criminals getting hold of them. The only people that inconvenienced was law abiding gun club members.

Like the dangerous dogs act stopped people keeping them, well honest law abiding people anyway.

Even the British government when looking into credit card type social security payment books, with photo, threw it out because it would be too easy for criminals to forge.

The only people that this "evidence" will identify are the likes of us honest types who have nothing to hide.

The only way to prevent Sep 11 happening again is to have security checks at airports done PROPERLY and not as we frequently read in the press and within these forums of poor quality checks being carried out.

I am all for good security, but this latest from ej seems to me to be a case of just being seen to be doing something despite the principle having more holes in it than a Swiss cheese.

Doc C.

lrjt24
10th Nov 2001, 17:11
This is going to be fun how about the passengers that went out on a flight before the new security rule came into effect and are now trying to return home but can't board their flight because their photo ID is guess what back home...... OOPS forgot about that one?

gul dukat
10th Nov 2001, 17:21
GO required photo id from me last night at STN first time ever.Luckily I had a passport with me .Ordinarily I carry nothing !

fmgc
10th Nov 2001, 17:27
Have to agree with Mach Alt * on this one.

If this has been inforce in the USA for some time then Sept 11th just proves how worthless a security measure it is.

Also is GVA in France, so is it a domestic flight?

BRUpax
10th Nov 2001, 18:28
KRISSKROSS

Just for your information the new UK European driving licence does allow for a photograph, but I don't think that it's mandatory (yet).

Aerienne
10th Nov 2001, 21:07
GVA is on the Franco-Swiss border and has a french and Swiss exit, hence flights to/from GVA and other points in France can be considered domestic. Also the French have ID cards which are required to be carried at all times.

Spoonbill
10th Nov 2001, 21:26
Personally I couldnt give a toss if they want some ID from me, its become so common now in the UK I always carry the photocard driving licence with me.
Recently I was travelling through Manchester,(UK BA domestic flight), and I noticed that when we went through the gate and handed over the boarding cards, everyones photo was taken and the ticket details were scanned onto the photograph. Perhaps this procedure will progress to the actual check in procedure.

Pdub
10th Nov 2001, 22:06
BRUpax/kriskross,
If you've changed your driving licence within the past couple of years (lost old / new address etc.) it will be a new photo EU style one. Old non-photo ones remain valid until expiry, at least for the moment, mine's good for another 30 odd years. Can't see myself living in the same house by then mind.

Ex NAV
10th Nov 2001, 23:02
Unless they have changed their "conditions of carriage" for domestic flights and advised all past and current ticketed passengers of this prior to travel, they cannot insist you have photo id prior to boarding. Let them try and then sue!!!

Gypsy
11th Nov 2001, 02:51
Great attitude.

no sig
11th Nov 2001, 03:12
Security isn't only about one check, it is usually about a combination of checks and procedures. The requirement for a photo ID is just one other, easyJet are quite right to be adding it.

moggie
11th Nov 2001, 04:10
Got to say that I am all in favour of national ID cards - far too long getting round it. I am ex-RAF so spent most of my working life so far with an ID card and here in Spain we all have to have one - even babies. Now, the babies bit is silly, but for adults it is a great idea. The shops use them to check that the possessor of a credit card is in fact the legal owner and anyone caught by the plods (ouch!) without a card is assumed to be an illegal immmigrant until proven otherwise.

The card contains picutre, signature an right forefinger print, it's credtit card sized (but thinner) and fits into a wallet with no bother.

As for Civil Liberties - I believe it enhances them as I can categorically prove to anyone that I am who I say I am. It holds no police or financial data (no magnetic strip) and only those with soemthing to hide are wary of this kind of thing.

By the way, might help to cut benefit fraud and therefore taxes if you folks had them - how does more money in your pocket sound?

Good on you eJ - although a little more warning may have been a good idea.

Anyone taking bets on when the UK national ID card is introduced? My money says by xmas 2002.

fltdeck
11th Nov 2001, 04:12
At the end of the day there are ways around everything. You can still have an anonymous bank account, dual citizenship through investment, driving licence and even corporate credit cards through ficticious companys. These things are still available and as long as the large conglomerates provide the demand they will always be around along with the unsavory charachters exploiting the system. If a passport is needed no prob, driv lic too!! just search the net!....... sad but true..

Ibis
11th Nov 2001, 14:14
By the way, might help to cut benefit fraud and therefore taxes if you folks had them - how does more money in your pocket sound?

moggie, do you realy belive you pay less tax when benefit froud is prevented? :D :D :D

[ 11 November 2001: Message edited by: Ibis ]

moggie
11th Nov 2001, 16:16
No, I do not expect that cutting benefit fraud will result in a tax cut. Howver, it may actually prevetn yet further stealth tax increases, which results in much the same thing - more money in your pocket than you would otherwise have.

Here in Spain, direct taxes are quite high to cover the cost of the social security system, but that is mostly offset by lower indirect taxes (petrol is 45p per litre and beer, wine and spirits are almost free with local supermarkets charging less than the old "duty free" shops used to!).

There is plenty of annecdotal evidence that having an ID card reduces fraud - not just benefits but also credit cards - and may have some scurity benefits. Mind you, ETA seem to still have a pretty free hand.

ID is not the answer to all problmes but is a useful tool along with other checks and procedures.

I'm al for ID cards - the sooner the better .

southern softy
11th Nov 2001, 23:30
based on some of the pathetic comments above, why not abolish passports seeing as some think everything is so easy to fraud, or...... should we start to make an effort to sensibly address security.

Well done ezy.

keepin it in trim
12th Nov 2001, 03:24
I don't feel that my civil liberties are threatened by having to produce photo ID to board a flight. And if such a check deters anyone who might be unmasked before they board an aircraft so much the better.

One slight concern, if I recall correctly the press suggested that the 11 Sep hijackers may have had weapons prepositioned on the aircraft. Given the repeated "shock" stories in the press about how easily one can gain employment with cleaning companies etc, and get access to aircraft, shouldn't a little more vigour also be applied to real vetting of such people. Oh, and anyone who feels I'm giving people bad ideas here, this sort of story crops up in the papers with monotonous regularity.

M.Mouse
12th Nov 2001, 03:43
moggie

i don't have a problem with ID cards but if you think it will make one scrap of difference I think you will be disappointed.

People that commit fraud or crime will quite easily get forgeries.

I can direct you to several locations in the Far East that will copy anything more or less while you wait for a small fee. I have no doubt that should you not wish to travel so far that they are readily available closer to home for a slightly greater fee.

Like most measures taken for my benefit they serve only to inconvenience the law abiding.

Sad but true.

moggie
12th Nov 2001, 18:03
Photo ID helps. My bank (RBS) cut credit/debit card fraud to near zero when they introduced photos on the cards. This may only move the problem elsewhere but it is a start.

Chocks Wahay
12th Nov 2001, 22:30
It's not just an Easy requirement - BA have long asked for some ID (Credit card suffices usually), and Go have been advising pax of the introduction of a requirement for photo ID from Jan 1st 2002, describing it as being a stautory requirement. Full points to Go for being pro-active on this. High time such a requirement was introduced, especially on "ticketless" airlines.

Gypsy
14th Nov 2001, 10:54
full points to GO for being proactive....?

I thought it was eJ that have done it and Go were following suit.

Chocks Wahay - why is this especially needed on ticket less airlines?

glider insider
14th Nov 2001, 12:38
who did it first isnt the issue. if arguing I think FR did it months ago. anyway, the way Go are doing it is from now until January asking every passenger for photo ID on domestic flights, but not having it as a requirement, thus getitng regualr travellers used to producing ID. also Inet bookings and reservations staff are giving the message. no doubt in January for both EJ and Go there will be passengers forgetting ID, and no doubt there will be posts on here from SLF whinging that they had bought a ticket and were denied boarding, and had they got the train they dont need id....

fmgc
14th Nov 2001, 21:59
But what advantage is there to security?

glider insider
15th Nov 2001, 16:18
The advantage is that it gives the airline a passenger list backed up by a passport confirmation rather than a list based purely on reservations and with no ID check up. This should stop people travelling on other peoples tickets and stop people booking with false names.

I know someone will say that a faked passport can be used. but it can also be used on an international flight.

fmgc
15th Nov 2001, 20:22
But how does that stop somebody putting a bomb on board or sneaking a knife through security?

I still can not think of anyway that it could increase security.

It smaks of "being seen to do the right thing" rather than doing the right thing.

Increasing security of bag and pax searches, better control of who has access to airside areas etc.

moggie
16th Nov 2001, 18:08
Unless you have a suicide bomber, people are less likely to carry weapons on to an aeroplane if you can track them via their ID. It does not stop your average fanatic carrying weapons on board (that is the job of physical checks) but it is one tool to be used in the overall control of security.

It helps to reduce the likelihood of domestic flight tickets being passed on to someone other than the purchaser.

Here is a thought for you - all the aeroplanes used in the Sept 11th attacks were US DOMESTIC flights. Now, would not a fully laden B747 on an international flight have made an even bigger hole in the Pentagon? However, international flights required ID...........................

Now, this may not be why domestic flights were chosen, maybe it was overall lax security, but we are back to my point of it being a PART of the picture.

fmgc
16th Nov 2001, 20:19
I wold say that 99% of the reason that US Domestic flights was because of lack of security.

moggie
20th Nov 2001, 03:50
FMGC you have just made my point for me. 99% of the reason the terrorists chose domestic flights was lack of security.

No ID was required and as has been said here before it is a PART of the whole security cover. People may well be less likely to try it on if there is photo ID required at the check-in stage. The airlines will be able to see that the people checkingin are who they say they are and that makes it easier to trace them back if you have to.

It will probably not stop the suicide hijacker - but it will make it harder for him and along with the other security measures in place it may just be too difficult to make it worth the risk.

We will never know if it works - although we may see if it doesn't! If no more suicide hijackings occur - who could honestly say WHAT prevented them, other than the TOTAL security effort.