View Full Version : Nigel Williams, ex RAF Air Commodre ATCO

raf4
6th Mar 2009, 13:28
Hi all,
Shot in the dark here but does anyone know of any contact details/whearabouts for Nigel Williams, ex RAF Air Commodre Air Traffic Controller? Thinking mainly back to late '70s early '80s at Eastern Radar.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,
A fellow Air Trafficker.

Vulcan Lover
11th Mar 2009, 17:44
There were 2 RAF ATCOs named Nigel Williams around in the 80s. One got to Air Commodore and one got to Wg Cdr (but he should have got to Air Cdr !!) The Wg Cdr Williams was at Eastern Radar in 1972 ish when he was a Flt Lt. He married Brenda (Get back on that glide path Deacon.)...but thats another story.!! Ah, its a good story so I will relate it.

In the 60s RAF ATCOs used to control live aircraft at Shawbury whilst under training. For PAR (talkdowns) the pilots were briefed to occasionally do a dirty dive at 3 miles and the trainee ATCO should respond with correct r/t such as 'slightly below glidepath, heading 272, below glidepath heading good, well below glidepath, dangerously below glidepath, acknowledge'.

Brenda was famous for saying to her then boyfriend Mr Deacon, who was flying the Vampire ' 'slightly below glidepath, heading 272, below glidepath heading good, well below glidepath, dangerously below glidepath, get back on that glidepath Deacon'.

moony
11th Mar 2009, 20:07
I believe that the Air Commodore Nigel Williams was married to Barbara and was also at Eastern Radar. He was my SATCO at Coltishall 87 to 89 ish.

moony
14th Mar 2009, 21:14
Vucan Lover

Would the Brenda you referred to be ex Southern Radar about 71/72?

moony
14th Mar 2009, 21:20
Just remembered her maiden name, Brenda Crowe?

Vulcan Lover
15th Mar 2009, 14:34
Yes that was her maiden name

CADF
19th Mar 2009, 00:42
I think you might find him at NATO HQ, Brussels.