PDA

View Full Version : Centenary of Flight- Maybe!

lost soul
30th Mar 2002, 04:36
One hundred years ago tomorrow, Richard Pearse flew for the first time in NZ . . . or didn't?

Have a look at http://www.stuff.co.nz/inl/index/0,1008,1150829a11,FF.html

Blacksheep
3rd Apr 2002, 03:53
Regardless of who made a controlled flight first, to be recorded in history, the requirement is to demonstrate the achievement publicly. Mr. Pearse may or may not have made the first controlled flight but he never arranged for official verification.

The Wrights of course, not only demonstrated that they had a practical flying machine, they went on to produce and sell fully functional aeroplanes.

Through difficulties to the cinema

Cyclic Hotline
3rd Apr 2002, 04:53
This is also the celebration of Blacksheep's 32 year of PPRuNing, quite a remarkable achievement considering the timeframe of constructing the Internet, or even starting PPRuNe for that matter!

Bit dubious if you ask me; interesting parallel to the topic in question! :D

18-Wheeler
3rd Apr 2002, 05:45
Have a look at the post I started a few days ago - Pearse flew about 350 yards on the 31-3--1902, so the centenary was a few days ago, not in a few days. ;)
That his plane was controllable is not in doubt - About a year later, he flew it down a dry riverbed, and that flight included a turn left and right, flight out of ground effect, and also taking off under it's own power. That flight was about 1,000 yards long, so if that's not sustained, controlled flight, I don't know what is.
The reason he didn't take any pictures or make any great fus is that because he didn't think it was an important event, he was just doing it to satisfy his engineering curiosity.
I have more info here - www.billzilla.org/pearse.htm

Kermit 180
3rd Apr 2002, 10:31
After the controversy over who flew first, it appears Richard Pearse went into depression. He served in the Great War and later went on to invent more engines of ingenious designs, built a few houses and even designed and built a Vertical takeoff and landing machine on which the propeller would tilt to provide forward thrust for normal flight. It never flew and it is doubtful that it would have, but the man was far sighted and way ahead of his time. His reward for these ingenious ideas was to spend the later years of his life in a mental ward. You cant help but admire the vertical machine when you look at the Osprey and other VTOL aircraft of that nature.

As a matter of interest, there are many ultra and micro light clubs in and around Temuka and Canterbury who pay tribute to the man regularly by flying their fragile machines in his honour.

Kermie

Blacksheep
4th Apr 2002, 02:28
Well spotted Cyclic, I was wondering about that myself.

In January 1970 personal computers were the last thing on my mind, and the only keyboard I'd ever seen was in the squadron office. 'Digital' meant counting on your fingers and glass cockpits were only seen on Russian aircraft; while an FMS consisted of two navigators working together and was rarely seen outside of RAF Bomber Command.

I think its just Danny's idea of a joke, I wasn't registered until the following August actually... ;)

Through difficulties to the cinema