PDA

View Full Version : Nearly there........

sgtbob
3rd Mar 2009, 14:34
Been doing my PPL for the past year. Just about to start a new job in the Police, and set myself a target of getting it all finished by the end of march. I completed my flying (syllabus and QXC etc) and just finished last week all my G/S exams. Booked my Skill Test on for this friday (fingers crossed for the weather!).

Just looking for advice/tips etc for the up coming test. I feel fairly well versed and prepared for it, having done a few practice tests and been flying regularly 2 times a week since the start of this year.

Also having (hopefully) passed on friday, what can i look forward to as a new PPL holder? What tips/advice do you guys/gals have with regards to directions and what to do with the liscence etc? I unfortunatly failed my Class 1 medical in Nov 07, and so had to withdraw my successful application to Oxford Air Training School, so obviously i cant go down the CPL route, and would look to use the liscence as fully as i can up to that point!

Sorry for the long essay(!) and i look forward to your responses!

Thanks,

Rob.

nick14
3rd Mar 2009, 15:13
There is a useful document for the PPL skills test detailing what the day will be like that I will find for you when I remember where it is.

As for your licence, enjoy it, add to it, and share it with others.

There are loads of things you can do like Night, IMC, Aerobatics, tail wheel, complex, float conversion. Take cross country trips to the south coast, France, Scotland and Ireland, maybe even further if you want.

Best place to go is your club, ask around, the other members were there once and will gladly offer some pearls of wisdome to new PPL's.

ah the link for the PPL doc is here:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_fcl_19_A%20latestv5_.pdf

Best of luck

Nick

Chequeredflag
3rd Mar 2009, 18:52
Firstly, good luck on your forthcoming skills test. Before I did mine, everyone said "just relax and enjoy it!" Oh yeah, you must be joking!! However, you know what, they were absolutely right. I believe an awful lot is up to the way your examiner approaches the task in hand. He's not there to fail you, and really does want to pass you.

In my case, (four whole years ago now, but it feels like last week still) my examiner was fantastic - an Airbus A300 captain, but he still loved general aviation. His approach was "this is a big day for you, but we're going to enjoy it"

I checked out the aircraft, and five minutes later he joined me. I told him that I would treat him as a non savvy passenger, such as my next door neighbours wife, who had never flown in a small plane. "Oh really" he said "has she got big t*ts??"

Well, that really broke the ice, and even though the weather was appalling (rain/poor viz) he insisted we carried on. The whole experience for me was fantastic, often like a glorified flying lesson, and he for sure helped me through the test with his relaxed attitude. Sadly he was killed a few weeks later in a road crash - a huge loss the GA.

So finally, try to find out as much as you can about your examiner, his likes/dislikes, what he picks up on etc - your instructor might pass on a few tips even though they are not supposed to!.

Going back to my first point, if you can, relax and enjoy it!!

Best wishes for Friday, let us know.

CF

RTN11
3rd Mar 2009, 20:42
relax, take deep breaths, and take everything at your own pace.

Know the speeds for your aircraft, the examiner will likely ask what speed you will use for climb, cruise and decent, and want you to stick to the ones you stated.

Keep track of the navigation by writing the time on the map as you go along. Once you positively identify where you are, by a river/road crossing, or a town, jot down the time. This means you know that 5 mins later you can only be a certain distance away from this. Should stop you from panicing and mis-identifying your final destination.

If you're super relaxed, as you're going along, keep looking for an appropriate field for a PFL. If you always have one in mind, you won't be caught out when they suddenly pull the throttle lever back.

Most examiners realise you will be nervous and allow for this. Just fly safely, that's the really important thing.

Duchess_Driver
3rd Mar 2009, 21:45
Three days before your test is not the time to be learning new techniques for navigation - fly like you have been taught by your instructor. He obviously thinks that you have acquired the relevant skills and competancy level to pass or he wouldn't have recommended you for your test.

Thoroughly read Standards 19 (the doc referenced above).

Relax and enjoy.

RTN11
3rd Mar 2009, 21:55
A fair point. I was shown that technique myself just a week or so before my test, and have used it ever since.

Another good piece of advice I was given was, if you think you've cocked up then just move on. You can get a partial pass, even if you muck up on the navigation, or any other section. Don't let one mistake hound you for the rest of the flight.

As stated, your instructor wouldn't send you for test if he didn't think you were ready.

Nearly There
3rd Mar 2009, 22:26
He's not there to fail you

It might not be a 'he'! I had a lovely slim blonde, Hi Francis, and what an impression I made, playing it cool then barfing half hour into the test!:O

They are not there to fail you though, I made several mistakes but corrected them, reamined safe, and passed.
The examiners know people will have a touch of nerves on the day and you will be surprised how relaxed the flight will be. Examiners are normal people to you know:ok:

If you make a mistake, dont let it play on your mind as this will distract you from what you should be focussing on, sounds like you have had some good practice so far this year and you wont come across anything in the test you aint seen before.

Good luck:ok:

Rabbs
4th Mar 2009, 12:22
Check your rear view mirrors every few seconds.... oops wrong test :)

My instructor gave me a bit of advice that worked for me - talk through what you are doing while you are doing it. For all the checks say them out loud - he will be certain then that you are checking everything eg startup, FREDA, rejoin etc - say them all out loud - if you are checking the map because you are unsure of your position tell him (he will have guessed) you will still get a pass if you go from unsure to sure. He's looking for safety and good airmanship, everyone makes mistakes - it's how you deal with them he is really interested in. Don't be afraid to ask the examiner if you are not sure of something - he is there to pass you and help if he can!

As others have said try and enjoy it - you will remember it for a long time but it is the best sensation when you park up and he shakes your hand ;)

DeeCee
4th Mar 2009, 12:36
Treat it with the same attention to detail that you have applied in your lessons. The other posters are quite right - relax and enjoy. You will probably find that your examiner will make helpful suggestions and that you will find it a very useful experience.

Afterwards? Ah well.....many drift away unfortunately because, without the 'organisation' of your lessons, you have to make your own routine and it is easy to find that you have exceeded the 28 day club rule and will need a checkout. A good idea is to plan to go places - visit other clubs - fly in different airspace e.g. MATZs and your experience will grow and grow. Many clubs organise flyouts, so join some of those and gain the experience of others.

I wish you good luck and I hope you enjoy the flight.

sgtbob
9th Mar 2009, 10:24
Well, just thought id update you all.

I PASSED!!!!!!!!:O

Really happy and pleased! The test went well, only one small error that he put down to a mix of nerves and the fact that it was at the end of the test and my concentration was less. So happy that i have passed and all the hard work has paid off!

Im planning on taking part in most of the fly outs this year with the club, as well as flying all the family/friends etc who have been waiting for a flight with me! My dads birthday is on the 24th, so will probably be flying him as his "birthday present".lol.

Thanks for all the advice/tips folks, and many happy flights to you all!

Rob.

Whopity
9th Mar 2009, 12:42
Once you positively identify where you are, by a river/road crossing, or a town, jot down the time.

No! work out how long it will take to get there from the last turning point and write that on the map before you go. When you get there, compare the time on the map with the time on your watch and correct the ETA and track if necessary. No bl...y use writing the time when you get there! DR is the calculation of the unknown from the known.

modelman
9th Mar 2009, 14:00
Well done to you;Not wishing to p**s on your chips but you will do well to get your licence back in time for the 24th unless you plan to go to Gatport Airwick in person.
Don't know what the current turnround time is but 2 weeks could be a bit iffy.
You are lucky to have friends/family that are eager to fly with you-my lot couldn't have been more disinterested:{

Never forget you have achieved something amazing-you have the right to command an aeroplane and fly it to pretty much anywhere in the world-some achievement in my eyes.
Have fun

MM