PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for flying holiday this summer....

Gav28
1st Mar 2009, 20:57
I have been mulling over a few preliminary ideas for a flying excursion this summer probably for about 10 days. Currently thinking of doing one of the following, would appreciated any opinions or other suggestions;

1) Hiring an aircraft and doing a tour of Scotland. I currently fly in the south near London and have always fancied exploring Scotland. Might be a bit risky weather wise, although touch wood I’ll have my IMC finished by then.

2)Going over to Winterhaven in Florida and doing a seaplane rating. Have flown in Florida before, but the seaplane rating is something I’d like to do.

3)Going to the west coast of US and doing some touring around the bay area.

I have about 80 hours so I’m still a bit of a novice.

Thanks very much.

DavidHoul52
1st Mar 2009, 22:03
Head for the Highlands! A completely different experience to flying down south.

poss
2nd Mar 2009, 04:57
All sound like sweet ideas, personally I'd go with the sea plane rating but then I love sea planes so really it depends if you love them too. :cool:
There's an awesome set of valleys that lead from a place called Lillooet to Vancover which you should consider as an option, if you can afford it, as soon as I have enough dosh it's where I'm going to go.

julian_storey
2nd Mar 2009, 10:08
Scotland IS lovely, but you really can't beat flying in the States.

A Seaplane rating WOULD be fun. If you decide on this option, PM me and I'll suggest a good place.

My choice though would be to fly to Vegas, rent a plane and from there, you can do the Grand Canyon, then maybe fly out to San Diego, then up the West Coast.

If you plan on flying in the States and don't already have an FAA licence (the FAA will issue you a PPL based on your UK licence) - then you need to start sorting one out ASAP.

S-Works
2nd Mar 2009, 10:21
Winterhaven gets my vote. I did a Commercial Sea plane rating at Jack Browns Seaplane base in January. The most fun you can have with your pants on. Fixed price for the course $1100 including the flight test, ground school etc.

Tailwheels etc at Winterhave are superb, they are the other side of the airfield from Browns and I have flown with them for years. I am in Florida every quarter for work and these guys always fit me in for some flying despite the variable schedule. Nice fleet, G1000 Cessna, Warriors, Arrow, Twin and even amphib Lakes.

xrayalpha
2nd Mar 2009, 12:46
Could always come and stay with us in Scotland:

Luxury caravan for rent on Scottish airfield (http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=adview&adid=11891&imid=0)

Dare I suggest a conversion onto microlights!

Very best,

XA