PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Speaker Evening, Portsmouth - Thursday 19th March

execExpress
28th Feb 2009, 17:10
Aviation Speaker Evening, Portsmouth - Thursday 19th March

1900 for 1930 Start.

1) John Rooney – Daedalus SAR (CHC Helicopters)

“Sea Survival”

2) Captain Eric Moody

The epic account of British Airways flight BA009

“With unbelievable restraint, Captain Eric Moody addressed British Airways flight 009 as his Boeing 747 drifted inexorably down towards the Indian Ocean. Displaying the stiff-upper-lip spirit that built an empire, he uttered the words that are every air passenger's worst nightmare: 'Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get it under control. I trust you are not in too much distress.'”

£3 entry will be charged to cover cost of the venue and a donation to a local children’s charity.

Venue is the BAE Systems, Broad Oak Social Club in Portsmouth (the old Portsmouth airport site). See link for map. PO3 5PQ, UK
Web browser and Live Maps are incompatible (http://maps.live.com/?v=2&where1=PO3%205PQ%2C%20UK&encType=1)

The Social Club is 30 seconds walk from Hilsea Railway Station where most trains in and out of Portsmouth stop. Hint: The Social Club Bar will be open!

For those approaching from the M27/A27 south down the Eastern Road, turn right at 1st set of lights in to Anchorage Road, 2nd exit off the first roundabout (effectively straight on), 1st exit off the 2nd roundabout (left turn in to Williams Road), 3rd exit of the 3rd roundabout (right turn in to the Airport Service Road).

Follow road round to the right and just past Hilsea Railway station you will see a car park on the left. Use this. The BAe Social Club is on the opposite side of the road.

[email protected]

execExpress
17th Mar 2009, 19:21
This Thursday - anyone planning on coming along?

maxdrypower
17th Mar 2009, 20:21
Sounds excellent , is there any restriction on spaces

betterfromabove
18th Mar 2009, 08:19
Yes - was hoping to....do you need to reserve a place beforehand?

PompeyPaul
18th Mar 2009, 09:26
What time does it end ? I would love to attend, a get a trip back to the centre of the known universe, but don't want to cause a disturbance as I catch the last train north.

italianjon
18th Mar 2009, 12:43
Ha Ha - Good ol' Eric... met him a few times through my Dad while he was still at BA.

Eric's dined out on that story ever since, but tells it in such a riveting way £3 is far too cheap. You'll be sat on the end of your seats all night! What an aviator!

If I was in Pompey I would go just to hear it again, I will never get fed up by that story!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Mar 2009, 13:52
I flew back to the UK from Florida with my family many moons ago and Eric was the Captain. Towards the end of the night I asked if I could go up front and ended up there from TOD to parking on the gate. I introduced myself by saying to Eric: "I understand you know a bit about volcanology?" His reply is unprintable but it was a real fun half hour with him and his colleagues. Wish I could be there tomorrow....