PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to try this taildragger....?

fernytickles
27th Feb 2009, 18:25
:}

http://tailspinstales.*************/2009/02/taming-taildragging-dragon-lady.html

Them thar hills
27th Feb 2009, 19:12
FT
that link doesn't work for me !
tth
:bored:

Noah Zark.
27th Feb 2009, 19:43
Ditto, I'm afraid. There may be too many*********************or something!

Deeday
27th Feb 2009, 19:48
Very funny: the forum software doesn't seem to like the "******** dot com" domain of that link, and replaces it instead with that string of asterisks.
Moderators, is there an explanation for that?

Deeday

Them thar hills
27th Feb 2009, 19:59
Evidently something to do with U-2's and landing same in an orderly fashion. (or not, if you get it wrong) Not recommended for wing-down landings. :)

BRL
27th Feb 2009, 20:17
Moderators, is there an explanation for that?

No idea mate. :)

windriver
27th Feb 2009, 21:27
Shame about the dubbed on background noise.... why do people insist on doing this?

fernytickles
28th Feb 2009, 02:14
Try this - its on youtube (of course ;) )

YouTube - U-2 Dragon Lady: Landings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eamnTyfkUBY)

If you can't get it and can be bothered to look, search for dragon lady taildragger on youtube

Fg Off Max Stout
28th Feb 2009, 12:23
Here's the video. Ta-da...

They must build 'em strong. Some of those landings are shockers!

eamnTyfkUBY

dont overfil
28th Feb 2009, 18:41
I thought the music was very appropriate.
DO.

18greens
28th Feb 2009, 20:16
Don't overfill, I agree totally appropriate lyrics

The video reminds me of all those sphincter clenching moments teaching people how to land a chippy. I think the video should be part of the standard tail wheel briefing.

usedtofly
1st Mar 2009, 06:58
Can't see what the big deal is........used to fly an RF4 back in the day........all that had was a single main wheel and outriggers........bit of a bugger in 20 kt x wind tho....

:E:E:E:E:E:E

gasax
1st Mar 2009, 17:49
Great link posted elsewhere recently. 'Best of the best' proving that a little finesse would go a very long way. Love the way the outrigger falls off on one of the approaches....

wobble2plank
28th Sep 2009, 09:43
The out rigger is supposed to fall off at take off. The idea of the chase car is to follow the aircraft and put the out riggers back on during the landing roll so it can taxi.

I watch one land back at Akrotiri and had a chat with the pilot in the bar afterwards. He reckoned they were a bugger to land and an extra knot over the threshold required an immense amount of extra landing distance. Not a great surprise that they took the U2 and the SR71 pilots from the same stock.

I seem to remember that the Dodge 'Charger' was the 'official' chase car for the outriggers and that, operationally, members of the crew sit on the wing tips to allow the pilot to taxi round the corners more easily.

Great machine.

charliegolf
28th Sep 2009, 12:17
The idea of the chase car is to follow the aircraft and put the out riggers back on during the landing roll so it can taxi.

Er, really?

CG

wobble2plank
28th Sep 2009, 12:46
Er, yes, really.

To maintain balance while taxiing for takeoff, the ground crew installs two auxiliary wheels, called "pogos". These fit in sockets under each wing at about mid-span, and fall onto the runway as the aircraft takes off. To protect the wings during landing, each wingtip has a titanium skid. After the plane comes to a halt, the ground crew re-installs the pogos. The first pogo goes on the "light" or "up wing" while the other crew members use their weight to pull down the light side. Then two of the crew push up the heavy wing, allowing a third crew member to install a pogo on the other side

This was subsequently modified by sharp, operational crews who clipped the wheels in as the aircraft slowed down thus saving the wing tip skids.

Whether or not that was 'standard' procedure or just an Akrotiri thing I don't know but it was very amusing to watch.