PDA

View Full Version : Are approach fixes "Fly-Over" fixes

extra-november
26th Feb 2009, 01:19
I know the answer is yes. meaning you have to "fly-over" the fix before you can start a turn or a descent. However, what if your shooting a VOR approach that requires a PT. The VOR is both the IAF and FAF. You approach the VOR on a radial that requires you to make a 180 degree turn to start the PT outbound. Can you lead this 180 degree turn to go outbound? If so, when do you start your time and when can you descend? Also would you have to do a course reversal in the first place? What about for a holding pattern course reversal? I know a lot of questions!!! :\

Rainboe
26th Feb 2009, 08:32
A holding pattern will be drawn on the fix so you can approach from all angles to enter an initial hold so you do not have to make any drastic turns to try and track outbound within a few miles. What you should do is plan your hold entry using the 3 different sector entries, then go around in the hold which will be drawn to leave you with an easy exit onto your initial tracking outbound. You should not ever aim to have to turn more than 30 degrees to track outbound, there is just no room to get established and assess the drift.

411A
26th Feb 2009, 11:52
Some older approach approved GPS units have both a LEG and an OBS function.
Normal flight is in LEG, so that the unit autosequences to the next waypoint.
Switching to OBS just slightly prior to reaching the desired fix keeps the unit from autosequencing, and therefore maneuvering for a procedure turn or holding pattern is possible.
I have yet to find that GPS approaches, properly flown using the unit as it was designed, were other than highly accurate.
WAAS approved units, even more so, for those aircraft so equipped.

Rainboe
26th Feb 2009, 14:59
EN, to answer you properly regarding a strict VOR approach, trying to do a 180 to 'creep in' and try and get established outbound is a strict no-no. You should limit course changes overhead to track outbound to 30 degrees. You could plan from overhead a course reversal, tracking out about 30 degrees from baseline for say 1 1/2 minutes then intercepting baseline back to the VOR where you can safely turn outbound. Sneaking in a 180 degree turn to try and hit overhead and track out is a definite thumbs down!