PDA

View Full Version : JAA state of licence issue conversion

100m down/10,000m up
25th Feb 2009, 09:24
Hello

Has anybody converted their JAR ATPL from one state to another? How long did it take and paperwork involved?

Thanks

Spitoon
25th Feb 2009, 20:41
Do you need to do it?

Not my area but I thought whole point was that a licence issued by a JAA state was accepted by all other JAA states.

Captain Airclues
25th Feb 2009, 22:19
100m

I don't know about other states, but to convert to a UK issued JAR ATPL you will have to fill in form SRG1137 as well as the payment form SRG1187. You should submit these to the CAA together with your logbook and photocopies of your licence. The CAA may require to see your actual licence so you should check with them before applying.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1137FF.pdf

The process takes about two weeks.

Spitoon

That is the case in theory, but not in practice. Several UK airlines demand a UK issued ATPL. The reason for this is that some states, such as Germany and France do not allow UK TRE's to sign their licences. This can cause problems with LPC renewals.
Not all states have adopted the yearly medicals for 40-59 year old pilots and retain the old six monthly medicals. I know of several people who have switched to UK licences so as to take advantage of this.

Dave

Spitoon
26th Feb 2009, 04:22
Thanks for that, Captain. Will this change under the EASA rules for licensing? In my bit, ATC, we haven't been too affected by JAA and EASA yet so I'm just an innocent bystander.