PDA

View Full Version : JAA Conversion

Fergy76
24th Feb 2009, 04:32
Can anyone fill me in on what is required to convert a Canadian ATPL to JAA? I have 4000+ hours including 500+ hours jet. I don't know if experience makes any difference, but.....
Thanks in advance.

Alex Whittingham
24th Feb 2009, 09:43
You need to pass all the ATPL exams. Because of your experience you get some exemptions - not many, though. If you hold an ICAO ATPL with more than 1500 hours in aircraft certified for two pilot operations you are exempt approved training for the exams, which means you don't need a formal course and can buy second hand books from e-bay, subscribe to an online question bank and self-authorise your exam application. If you don't have 1500 hours of two pilot operation you need to do a formal groundschool course, but the time spent on the course can be reduced from the full 650 hours with the agreement of the FTO.

On the flying side you can either take a single ATPL skills test - a combination of an IR profile and general handling - on the aircraft you are type rated on at a JAA TRTO with a CAA Flight Examiner or you can elect to do two tests on a light aircraft, an IR and a CPL skills test. In the first case, because you have more than 500 hours on type, you are exempt any formal training and just need a few hours in the sim to get you up to speed. In the second case you need, for the IR, a minimum of 15 hours training, of which a maximum of ten can be in the sim, but plan to do 20. The IR will be flown on a light twin, a Duchess, a Seneca, a DA42 or something similar. The CPL skills test must be flown in a 'complex aircraft', retractable gear and VP prop, which can be either single or twin. There is no formal training requirement before the skills test, you just need to be ready for the test.

Budget £1000 to £3000 for the ATPLs and around £12000 for the IR/skills test combination. I've no idea how much the sim would cost if you want to do the test on type, I'm afraid.

The reference is a UK CAA document, LASORS, Part G. link (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=175&pagetype=68&gid=780)

Fergy76
25th Feb 2009, 01:32
Very helpful. Thanks for the reply!