PDA

View Full Version : speeding cnviction barrier to airside pass?

SMOOTHFLIER
23rd Feb 2009, 19:33
require some advice/knowledge
I have been caught speeding doing 71mph in a temporary 40 mph zone on a dual carrigeway.
I will shortly be flying for a major airline.
Will this prevent me from obtaining an airside pass?

For more info i have received a summons to a local magistrate which i think means i will be convicted of excessive speeding, that is have not been offered a fixed penalty.
I expect 6 points and a hefty fine which i beleive will show up on a CRC.
Have i destroyed my chances of employment?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Feb 2009, 19:41
You stupid boys - deserve whatever is thrown at you...........

SMOOTHFLIER
23rd Feb 2009, 19:44
a driving ban is a possibility as i am above the threshold for a fixed penalty notice which in a 40mph zone is 66mph.
Would a driving ban stop me receiving an airside pass?

lomapaseo
23rd Feb 2009, 19:45
The constabulary had the nerve to similarly catch Capt Rainboe the same figure over the ridiculously slow national speed limit (which obviously does not allow for a large BMW with top notch performance and ALB) in a wholly justified hurry to get home, though some say, his speed reached 3 figures!

3 figures:confused:

In what units of measurement?

Facelookbovvered
23rd Feb 2009, 19:48
If your working airside as a ramp rat i would have thought having a speeding conviction be a requirement!!:)

McBruce
23rd Feb 2009, 19:52
Driving conviction is just that, its a road traffic offence, not a criminal offence so no this won't affect your air side pass.

wobble2plank
23rd Feb 2009, 19:55
Can't you just claim you were racing to pick up the Honorable (sic) Ms Smith from here primary resident bedsit in London Village and rush her to her secondary large not oft used (except by her family) house in Redditch to review police pensions and pay rises?

Citing 'national security' as mitigating circumstances?

The coppers would be so busy laughing they'd probably wave you on your way.

I had a similar 'brush wid da laaaw' and they still let me steal aeroplanes! Unfortunately the sneaky buggers get me to sign for them first and promise to bring them back!

ZeBedie
23rd Feb 2009, 19:57
SMOOTHFLYER, you'll be OK, but why not slow down a bit, before blood is spilt?

PA38-Pilot
23rd Feb 2009, 21:16
heh... I once got caught speeding too (15km/h above the limit), going to the airport for a flight. And, I got my driver's license taken away too... I'm just glad it happened close to the airport, since I drove about a mile without it hehe.

Captain Airclues
23rd Feb 2009, 21:34
http://www.britishairwaysjobs.com/docs/images/157/6/1/Disqualifying%20Offences%20List_CC-FC-RA.pdf

boguing
23rd Feb 2009, 21:36
You're a pilot for goodness sake.
38.336933 Knots = 71 Kph

A Very Civil Pilot
24th Feb 2009, 09:18
Are road traffic offences disclosed? (http://www.disclosurescotland.co.uk/FAQ32.htm)

(From Disclosure Scotland)

strake
24th Feb 2009, 13:49
I can't really help regarding your question about employment but I think it is highly unlikely that you would suffer because of a driving conviction of this nature which, although a criminal offence in that you are sentenced in a magistrates court, is not socially seen as such nor will you have a criminal record in that you were not arrested. In any event, this is not the sort of offence airside pass issuers are particularly worried about anyway.
However, I hope the following might help with reducing the outcome of your case.
You are required to attend a magistrate’s court because, as you have correctly surmised, you face an instant ban for the speed you were travelling within the 40mph area.
Because of your speed, the bench book will recommend a ban of between 50 to 70 days. It will also allow for a fine and points. However, these all have a ratio between themselves. So if you are banned for 70 days, the fine and points may be proportionally lower. If the fine is higher, the ban may be lower and so on.
The decision-making by the magistrates (based on the fact you plead guilty) will be based on:
The prosecution evidence, which will range from "He did 71 in a 40..'nuff said Yer Worships..", to "..and it was dark and it was raining and there were workmen there at the time..."
The magistrates will also base their decision on your recent driving behaviour. Do you have currently have points? Do you have a history of speeding?
Finally, the magistrates are human beings and will listen to any mitigating circumstances you may wish to put forward. If they see a decent, genuinely remorseful person who is kicking himself for being a jerk by driving at such high speed in the middle of roadworks and who is also beside himself with worry about a job he is about to start after having worked so hard to get and who shows respect to the court by dressing and behaving well, then there is a chance that they will deal with you more compassionately when sentencing.
Alternatively, you could try the "rainboe" approach (joking, I hope) and suffer the consequences.

strake
24th Feb 2009, 17:15
Bloody didn't work with me.

That mitigation story didn't work...? I'm amazed. Heartless beasts..!

SMOOTHFLIER
24th Feb 2009, 17:36
Is anybody familiar with employment law? does anyone have a clear answer as to whether the maximum punishment i could receive could prevent me from obtaining an airside pass?

thanks for the replies

Pugilistic Animus
24th Feb 2009, 17:46
in the US you just inform the officer that the speed limit at or below 10000' MSL is 288 MPH---:}

Don't do that:\

X ONE
28th Feb 2009, 13:52
Friend of mine who has worked out of LHR and LGW has been banned twice in the last 12 years! never affected him or his airside pass

Rainboe
28th Feb 2009, 14:02
Smoothie, you've been positively told! It won't affect an airside pass application, it is a traffic offence, not a criminal offence....unless maybe there are other factors? Were you speeding escaping from the law after commiting a bank robbery? Your answer has been given, you have been told! You have a 'clear answer'. Now you're flogging it to death.

call100
28th Feb 2009, 22:42
Perhaps I can help....
You will not be disqualified from recieving your airside pass with a driving conviction....
Please read the following for the list of convictions disqualifying recipient from obtaining the necessary documents..
http://http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/security/crc/disqualifyingoffenceslist

Now please Go and relax.....Hope you enjoy your new employment..:ok: