PDA

View Full Version : Single engine rental for 2 weeks in the San Francisco area

EK380
23rd Feb 2009, 10:46
I'm a European (Belgium) ATPL, planning on a 2 week flying holiday next September.

We (wife has a PPL as well) would like to rent a C172 or PA28 for 10 to 14 days, with a minimum 3hrs rental per day. Did a similar thing out of PHX last year.

Can anybody recommend a good rental place in the SFO area? Looking for a no-nonsense, reasonably priced school/rental. Both of us are current in the types above and have a FAA PPL validation on our JAR licenses.

Thanks for your feedback,:ok:

StillStanding
23rd Feb 2009, 17:21
I can recommend Aerodynamic Aviation (formerly Amelia Reid) based at Reid Hillview, San Jose. A couple of weeks ago I flew a Citabria from there. They do their own maintenance and the aircraft seemed to be in excellent condition. Rates are reasonable too.

They have Cessna and Piper too, but a few other interesting types made it attractive for me.

A beautiful area to fly too. I only had half a day so flew up the Pacific coast, lunch at Half Moon Bay and then around the Bay.

Blue Albatross
23rd Feb 2009, 20:23
A friend and I rented a C172 from these guys a few years ago for 2 solid weeks (after also getting our tail-wheel and aerobatics certificates) and they were fantastic.

Owner is an ex-U2 driver, so he knows his stuff, and they have a hanger full of awesome toys, including an L39 Albatross

EK380
24th Feb 2009, 14:55
Thanks so far.

Please keep them coming.

EK380:hmm:

n5296s
24th Feb 2009, 15:42
I'd put in a good word for Attitude too - fly some acro while you're there too, or at least do some Unusual Attitude training. I'd also put in a good word for Sundance at Palo Alto - a small club-type operation with several PA28s and 172s. There is also West Valley, which advertises here and claims to be the largest operation in the US, but I have found them to be rather rigid and bureaucratic.

(I'm a satisfied customer at both places but otherwise have no connection).

n5296s