PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Flying - Pilot not Flying

flapsforty
23rd Feb 2009, 10:29
There's a thread on the CC forum about PAs from the cockpit. The original question has been extensively answered, but in the course of the thread the matter of PF - PnF seemed relevant to me. So I have explained it as far as I know how to. But since I am CC and not a pilot, my post is based on what I have observed over the years. I don't 'know' any of it for sure.
I also have the feeling that things are done differently in some UK airlines, where apparently the division of roles is not as fixed from push-back until on blocks as it is with us (as long as the flight is standard).

If there's is anybody here who could add something to that thread from a different company's perspective and from a pilot's knowledge, it would be useful for CC, interesting for SLF, and I would be grateful. :)

Post (http://www.pprune.org/4739919-post27.html) & thread (http://www.pprune.org/cabin-crew/363125-quiet-ones.html).

411A
23rd Feb 2009, 11:07
With regard to the first post on the referenced thread...
The reason I ask - last night on an RJ85 we SLF didn't get spoken too. I told the cabin crew when I got off to thank the pilot for his great hosptiality. She replied that he was probably too busy to talk to the passengers - b&%%&"ks I say

What do you Cabin crew think of such flight crew?

Lets get one thing straight, right now.
IF the FD crew are too darn busy to communicate with the pax, there is a definite reason...their first duty is to fly the aeroplane, not babble on endlessly to the SLF...whether said SLF or CC like it or not.

Second, at my mob, the flying pilot does the PA's...if they feel like it.
Sometimes not, so we don't.
In this case, usually the Flight Engineer is called to duty...which they rather seem to like, for some strange reason.:rolleyes:

ZimmerFly
23rd Feb 2009, 13:03
The "modern" terminology in many airlines is : Pilot Flying and Pilot Monitoring.

Who does what varies from airline to airline.

Sometimes it is a complete role reversal when it is the co-pilot's sector,
where the captain does all the PM duties and the co-pilot does all the PF duties.

In other airlines the when it is the co-pilot's sector he remains as PM on the ground. (not even allowed to taxi the aircraft)

Other airlines have a mix of the above.

In some airlines the captain does all the PA.

In many airlines the captain does an introductory PA and subsequent PAs are done by the PF (it may be the captain of course).

In a few airlines the National Pilot will do the PA in the language of the country of registration, followed by an English PA from the ex-pat captain, or a version of English by him/herself.

I have experienced all of the above variations including mix and match combinations.

Clear as mud ? :8 ZF

tarasky
24th Feb 2009, 14:46
I agree to me a "pilot not flying" is a pilot who is a pax!!

RAPA Pilot
28th Feb 2009, 15:50
Tarasky, you obviously not a JAR25 commercial pilot.
The PNF role is highly demanding requiring a very high degree of multi tasking skills. The PF on the other hand in a fully automated flight deck IS the pilot monitoring to a certain degree.

bfisk
2nd Mar 2009, 10:05
Well, I believe the correct term is PM, not PnF anymore.

BelArgUSA
2nd Mar 2009, 10:26
Name of crewmember activity, PNF or PM for me is perfectly fine.
Name it the way you all want or desire.
With nearly 40 years with airlines, I saw many changes of "names" of "things".
And list 250 airlines, there are 250 different ways.
And YOUR airline is correct, the others are always wrong.
xxx
Change name, go ahead. No change of activity, or is it...?
Tell me that the PNF sat on his hands and was absent-minded.
And the PM has increased procedural activities.
Better paycheck, I hope.
xxx
Practical result, lots of new pages in your manuals to reflect the "change".
Another rain forest will go for the paper.
xxx
:}
Happy contrails