PDA

View Full Version : A few ASIC questions.

andrewpb
22nd Feb 2009, 13:05
Hi Everyone,

I have a few ASIC questions, if you could please assist me it would be great.

1. What type of areas does the ASIC allow me access too?
2. I am training to fly but I am also a spotter, does the ASIC allow me into any spots for taking decent photos (besides the tarmac when I'm flying)
3. Approximately how long does the ASIC take to arrive?

Any answers would be appreciated greatly.

Regards,
Andrew

helopat
22nd Feb 2009, 15:59
Andrew,

Not to be indelicate, but you should do a search on the topic before you post a question like this...you'll probably be busy for hours reading all the ASIC info on the site. Also, check the CASA website for info/legislation relating to the ASIC and what it does/doesn't allow you to do. If you haven't got an answer to your specific question(s), return here and post again.

HP

fallen
22nd Feb 2009, 19:11
1. What type of areas does the ASIC allow me access too?It doesn't allow you access to any areas.
2. I am training to fly but I am also a spotter, does the ASIC allow me into any spots for taking decent photos (besides the tarmac when I'm flying)No
3. Approximately how long does the ASIC take to arrive?Who have you applied through

b_sta
22nd Feb 2009, 19:37
I suppose you could grab a discounted coffee at Perth Airport and take some shots while you're there... :rolleyes:

Zoomy
22nd Feb 2009, 20:20
Whilst your ASIC will allow you to access the secure part of a terminal, you must have a lawful reason to be there. If you are suggesting accessing any of the major airports you will also require an access card.
So even if you worked for virgin and had an access card for Sydney and an ASIC card, you could not wonder off over to an Emirates 777 to take a photo, unless you had a lawful reason to be there.

There is also a lot of other stuff you should become familiar with whilst you are an ASIC holder and as suggested, have a read of the info posted with your card or jump on the website (dotars I think ).

Hope this helps.

andrewpb
22nd Feb 2009, 21:15
Thank you for all your info, yes I did have a quick search before I posted here but couldn't really find anything related to my questions. I will always have a lawful reason to be there, and I don't plan to go wondering. What facilities are available, I've heard there is flight planning facilities when you're flying and also what's this "access card' I've never heard of one.

Also I applied through CASA

Thanks for your help!
Andrew

morno
22nd Feb 2009, 21:25
I've heard there is flight planning facilities when you're flying

What the!!?? :bored::bored:

To put it simply. Your ASIC is just so you can get airside to fly your aircraft. NOTHING MORE! It doesn't give you any extra privelages to what you need.

You might find if a Federal copper comes across you taking photo's while airside, and with no other reason to be there, then he'll promptly remove your ASIC from you, and perhaps even your camera.

morno

Atlas Shrugged
22nd Feb 2009, 21:33
Approximately how long does the ASIC take to arrive?

Approximately how long is a piece of string? ;)

Tiger01
22nd Feb 2009, 21:41
Approximately how long does the ASIC take to arrive?

About 6 Weeks for mine to arrive ..
But i've heard anywhere between 2 weeks and 2 months!:ok:

Monopole
23rd Feb 2009, 01:29
I will always have a lawful reason to be thereAndrew, be careful of what you are considering as lawful. You may be a student pilot with an ASIC, but if your C152 is parked down at YPJT, then you have NO LAWFUL REASON to be airside at YPPH. If your C152 is parked at the GA apron at YPPH, you still have NO LAWFUL REASON to be airside at the domestic gates. Unless you work for an operator at PH, you WILL NOT get an access card. If you are spotting outside of the parameter fence, but parked within 3 metres of it, you can flash your ASIC as much as you like. The saftey officer will still tell you to rack off. Neither does an ASIC card give you the authority to wander around an operators premises to look at their crew room, flight planning facilities or whatever it is you have heard. It does not entitle you to an upgrade on your next flight nor does it entitle you to sit in the jumpseat. Some cards only entitle you to be airside at 1 airport only.

Mate your ASIC does not allow you access to much at all. It does as stated above give you discounted coffee at Hudsons

tmpffisch
23rd Feb 2009, 05:20
Monopole summed it pretty much up. All I'll add is that (as proven today) an ASIC will help you get through pax security when you forget to pack items that should be travelling in your checked in luggage instead of carry-on.

andrewpb
23rd Feb 2009, 07:20
Why would I be at YPPH if my plane is at YPJT? :\ It's funny though, I was just a asking a few simple questions yet I'm treated like a tool. Nice community you have going here :ok: Where on Earth did I say I wanted a free upgrade on my next trip or free anything for that matter?

Blue Carpet
23rd Feb 2009, 07:31
tmpffisch (http://www.pprune.org/members/287892-tmpffisch) that does not sound right. Asic or not you can't get past with scissors, knifes etc?

j3pipercub
23rd Feb 2009, 10:56
Andrew, in saying this I'm trying to be as blunt as possible. If you ask tool-ish questions, expect to be treated like one.

j3

Metro man
23rd Feb 2009, 10:59
Try going into a Customs controlled part of the airport without a lawfull reason if you really want to find yourself in trouble.:E

andrewpb
23rd Feb 2009, 11:07
Whoa, people come onto this board asking questions about flying because they want to learn and they're treated awfully. Then again, after speaking to a few people who no longer use the board the comments have all been the same.

j3pipercub
23rd Feb 2009, 12:38
then you know what to do... go put the L's on the 152 and fly off into the sunset.

andrewpb
23rd Feb 2009, 12:44
Guess that's my only option then :) I do apologize if I have come off rude, but I haven't really got the best impression of this community by this topic. Serves me right I guess, search before you post.... Lesson too all "tools" ;)

mcgrath50
23rd Feb 2009, 18:49
Andrew,

Don't take it to heart, you got the info you wanted, ignore the other crap. Yes, it was a question that is easily answerable else where but that isn't an excuse for rudeness. PPRuNe has its fair share of tools, you just need to learn what to listen to and what to take with a pinch of salt.

Metro man
24th Feb 2009, 00:20
Andrew, I've been posting on this board for eight years now and if you go back and look at some of the replies I've had to my posts you'll soon see what sort of tossers there are out there.

If you want a career in aviation you will need to learn to deal with ***holes occasionally. I've found them in the right hand seat of C150s instructing, to the left hand seat of airliners and everything in between.

Fortunately they are a small minority, but they are definately around.;)

Monopole
24th Feb 2009, 01:27
I donnot think I said anything 'toolish' to Andrew, nor do I think I was being an @rse.

Andrew had given the impression (to me at least) that he misunderstood the authority behind the use of the ASIC. "I will always have a lawful reason to be there" is a very vague comment. I was given the impression that Andrew thought if he had an ASIC, he was legally allowed airside to take photos while he was in his spotters role iedoes the ASIC allow me into any spots for taking decent photos (besides the tarmac when I'm flying)
Maybe a comment along the lines of "except for a few quick snaps whilst i'm walking to my aircraft", would of been clearer.

My first few comments was suppose to be an analogy. So let me put it another way. Even though I have the keys to my mates house, it still does not give me a lawful reason to be there without his knowledge.

The last part of my post was meant to be (poor) sarcasm. Something that young Andrew is going to have to smarten up on, right or wrongfully, if he wishes to play not only in this sandpit, but this industry.

Then again if you are made aware if this sight after speaking to a few people who no longer use the board the comments have all been the same. Well...................................

Worrals in the wilds
24th Feb 2009, 02:12
Andrew had given the impression (to me at least) that he misunderstood the authority behind the use of the ASIC.

In my experience this is a very common misunderstanding held by many GA types. Too many holders believe they can wander around any part of any airport, take photos with impunity, invade other peoples' hangars or march through the Customs arrivals hall wearing the thing while paxing (now that's a neat definition of a tool ;)) and so on.

I don't think CASA does nearly enough to make its ASIC holders aware that an ASIC is NOT some sort of Access All Areas pass to every airport in the country. I thought Monopole's first post summed up "lawful reason" neatly.

In addition, (I don't know if this was andrewpb's intention but I've seen it happen before) taking photos anywhere near a bunch of baggage handlers will often lead to a large aggressive rampie accosting you, asking about the reason for the photos and often suggesting several other uses for your camera :E. There have been too many "Today Tonight" style exposes recently for anyone on a ramp to appreciate stray photographers. No one wants to be the next Virgin Youtube star.

FWIW (not a lot) I didn't think the initial ten responses given were all that horrible, and they all contained the info that was asked for, plus helpful extras about not getting detained and sourcing discount coffee, which are both useful things to know ;)

Maybe I'm undersensitive.

CamPerth
24th Feb 2009, 04:03
So anyway, back on track for a second with a response to the question regarding the lead time on ASIC's, I received mine yesterday inside of four weeks since sending everything off to CASA.

YPJT
24th Feb 2009, 04:24
Just learned of one that took seven (7) days from submission of the form to delivery of the card.:ok:

andrewpb
24th Feb 2009, 07:25
I do take photo's commercially and I'm trying to get a Press Pass issued,yes I know it doesn't mean I can go wondering around the airport taking photos but apparently I need one in order to take photos commercially. I have also been informed that there is nothing in the regulations about taking photos while in a secure area (unless in hazardous areas) I have been reading around this forum and it has come to my attention that some spotters are indeed arseholes who have no respect for anyone but themselves. I love flying which means I love aircraft and I like to take photos of them, I'm not the type of person to call up a helicopter company and complain that a helicopter was hovering above me causing me to lose my shot ;) It's not the end of the world.

Andrew had given the impression (to me at least) that he misunderstood the authority behind the use of the ASIC. "I will always have a lawful reason to be there" is a very vague comment. I was given the impression that Andrew thought if he had an ASIC, he was legally allowed airside to take photos while he was in his spotters role ieWhen I say, "I will always have a lawful reason" that's what I mean ;) I'm pretty sure I did say (correct me if I'm wrong) that I wouldn't go wondering around snapping random pictures of aircraft, if I didn't say it then it deffinately crossed my mind.

I do apologize if I did come off as a tool, but unfortunately you get them in the Aviation industry too.

Kind Regards,
Andrew

Worrals in the wilds
24th Feb 2009, 08:01
Fair enough. You did say that.

As far as I'm aware, taking commercial photos requires the permission of the property owner (the airport authority) and the aircraft's owner.
Entering an airport exclusively for the purpose of taking commercial photos using your PPL ASIC would not constitute a proper use of that card.
Firing off a few snaps while you're there flying is a common activity and I doubt you'd have dramas, as long as your primary purpose for entering the airside area is for flying, not snapping.

For your interest only (I know you're talking about aircraft not terminals) sections 234AA / AB of the Customs Act prevent photographs being taken in the Customs Hall and of baggage searches. I only mention it because

there is nothing in the regulations about taking photos while in a secure area (unless in hazardous areas)

is not strictly correct. I believe it is also dicey taking photos of military stuff and best done cautiously, if at all.

Grogmonster
24th Feb 2009, 08:22
Think guys. My name is Mohamd Bin Larden but I register on PPrune as Andrew and ask questions about ASIC . !!!!!!! And all you rocket scientists get into the act. I give up. :mad:

Zoomy
24th Feb 2009, 08:22
OK, so the problem I have andrew is that I mentioned the facts to part of your question, (" what does it allow me to do"), then you carry on like a pork chop about you will always have a lawful reason. Mate I am not questioning you I am merely answering your question.

:zzz:

andrewpb
24th Feb 2009, 09:05
@Grogmonster:
What the...?

@Zoomy:
Apologies if it seemed that way.

@Worrals in the wilds (http://www.pprune.org/members/171901-worrals-in-the-wilds)
Thanks for that info, the person that informed me did include that info in the PM I just didn't include it in my post. Thanks for that though! :)

Flying Binghi
24th Feb 2009, 09:14
Whats an ASIC ?

What do they do ? :ooh:

andrewpb
24th Feb 2009, 09:27
Aviation Security Identification Card, just security clearance. You still need "lawful" reasons to be their ;) Just read through this thread, it has the answers.

Worrals in the wilds
24th Feb 2009, 09:35
Grogmonster,

Accept your concerns but all the information provided is available on the internet for the careful searcher. The Aviation Transport Security Regulations 2005 and the Airports Regulations 1997 provide all the info you need to design/build/fly ASICs. You even get a handy template.

The only bit that was a PPrune Exclusive was the postee who claimed they relaxed the security regs on presentation of an ASIC... and there's probabaly a few readers with AGS numbers who were interested in that one :}

Grogmonster
24th Feb 2009, 10:01
W i t W,

You are spot on about the interest certain people may have about relaxation of rules. I will leave it at that. No disrespect intended towards you at all.

Groggy.

Flying Binghi
24th Feb 2009, 10:26
Aviation Security Identification Card, just security clearance. You still need "lawful" reasons to be their http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/wink2.gif Just read through this thread, it has the answers.

andrewpb, you did do a forum search re ASIC before you started this thread ? :suspect:

Worrals in the wilds
24th Feb 2009, 10:34
Groggy,
No worries at all, none taken :)
Hopefully it's not a common occurence, certainly not an authorised one :eek:

andrewpb
24th Feb 2009, 10:37
Flying Binghi (http://www.pprune.org/members/201416-flying-binghi),

Your post is a bit delayed. I mentioned it in the first page, I did search but couldn't find anything to do with my questions. Hope this answered your question :)

Flying Binghi
24th Feb 2009, 10:57
Your post is a bit delayed. I mentioned it in the first page, I did search but couldn't find anything to do with my questions. Hope this answered your question http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

Did a search eh ?

Methinks i'll have to agree with some of the other posters - your a muppet

andrewpb
24th Feb 2009, 11:45
I may be a Muppet but at least I'm educated. ;) But please correct me if I'm wrong, he states that I have done a search which then makes me a Muppet. :\ I think you're the only Muppet here mate, you can't spell for your life, you can't set out a simple sentence and worst of all you can't read!

Flying Binghi
24th Feb 2009, 12:19
Whats an ASIC ?

What do they do ?

.................................:hmm:

andrewpb
24th Feb 2009, 12:23
Where did I ask a question like that? Now you're just looking to cause trouble.

mcgrath50
24th Feb 2009, 19:03
Andrew,

Did I not tell you to ignore the crap and focus on the good info? :ugh:

You got your question answered, thats a positive, focus on that...

MikeTangoEcho
24th Feb 2009, 19:50
I'm a bit annoyed about ASICs.. I was advised to get one when I started my traning, it's now expired and I didn't use the thing once! Except as a fancy picture of me hanging above my computer :}

Maybe it's my fault for taking so long to start my nav training (which is the first time, I assume, most trainees need to use it?) for flying into and out of *insert security controlled airport here *.. and even THEN most of those are flyovers.. :{

Anyway, bit of a tangent here. When I first got mine I was thinking, 'Great, I can go walk around Perth airport and noone can stop me!', then I quickly read that no, I can't. But I like the idea of cheap coffee though, thanks for the tip..!

Flying Binghi
24th Feb 2009, 21:12
focus on the good info?

...good info, with a question mark i see.

Tell us more, whats good about the ASIC apart from cheap coffee ?

b_sta
24th Feb 2009, 22:33
Maybe it's my fault for taking so long to start my nav training (which is the first time, I assume, most trainees need to use it?)

Lots of students are based at security-controlled airports.

PyroTek
25th Feb 2009, 13:19
Tell us more, whats good about the ASIC apart from cheap coffee ?
It makes self righteous a**holes feel good about themselves and makes them feel like they are more important, and deserve to do what they please:ugh:

Pyro:ok: