PDA

View Full Version : headset Q? Piper aircraft...

Fatigue
21st Feb 2009, 21:32
Hello there Ladies & Gents, I have a question....I have a low impedance helicopter sennheiser ANR headset...I was wondering whether this could be used in a light aircraft, especially the piper pa 28(this is of course assuming I had the rotary to fixed wing adapter lead)!! would there be a problem with different impedances? I have no clue(obviously) about light aircraft ....

Many thanks for your help...

Fatigue.

NutLoose
22nd Feb 2009, 00:33
I do not know, but this may help you
Adams Direct pilot shop your pilot supplies direct - online (http://www.flyingshop.com/prodguide.asp?grp=Headset%20Adaptors)

Whopity
22nd Feb 2009, 09:40
Aeroplane intercom systems are based upon rather old fashioned carbon microphones, these are low impedance high output devices (100 x greater than dynamic) that require a DC supply to operate. Modern headsets have replaced the carbon with either a dynamic or electret microphone plus an amplifier to give the same level output as the original carbon mic. The amplifier operates from the DC supply.

Helicopter or NATO style headsets use a dynamic microphone that has a different output level; they cannot be connected directly to a carbon mic system unless the DC supply is isolated and the levels are equalised. This requires a plug adapter with some sort of built in equalising amplifier. They are available, and can be made but simply matching the plugs and sockets doesn't guarantee success.

Fatigue
22nd Feb 2009, 09:47
thank you guys for your help...it is much appreciated...
fatigue.