PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit organization

bjornhall
20th Feb 2009, 20:35
What kind of "nest" to you build for yourself on the 'flight deck' before going flying?

Just a knee pad?

Knee pad, pinto board w/ plog, right hand seat stacked with at least three maps, camera, hand held GPS, crew bag on the floor in front of the right hand seat with Pooley's/equivalent, more maps, flight computers (mechanical + electrical), food, drink, two flash lights, warm clothing?

Or something in between?

I have not yet sorted out what I need to have easily accessible and what should ride in the back, so am curious what the rest of you do ... At the moment I want everything within easy reach, meaning I need a four seater all for myself whenever I go fly... :cool:

mike172
20th Feb 2009, 21:07
Depends on the nature of the flight I guess. I like to have as little around me as possible though.

For circuits or a local flight I have nothing to hand other than a map, which is stuffed down the side somewhere.

For a longer flight, a map, a PLOG and a pen is enough. I can't stand flying with lots of crap piled up on my lap.

Obviously at night, a torch as well.

BackPacker
21st Feb 2009, 04:30
I have one of those tri-fold kneeboards and stuffed everything I legally and practically need (except for the sunglasses, headset, spare glasses and aircraft logbook) into it:
- License
- Map
- Local airport diagrams
- Checklists
- Plog
- Pen
- Flight computer, ruler, protractor

The rest of the stuff sits in my flightbag. Depending on the nature of the flight the flightbag may stay on the ground (local aerobatics for instance). And depending on the amount of room in the cockpit the whole kneeboard is tucked away safely somewhere (aerobatics) or I just take out the clipboard-thingy with map, checklist, plog & pen (DA-40) or just leave the whole kneeboard strapped to my knee (PA-28 and similar).

The reason for organizing it like this is that I wanted to be able to leave the flightbag on the ground for a local aerobatics flight, and still be legal and have the ability to divert somewhere. (Oh, and I carry a picture ID in my wallet - you need that for your license to be valid.)

bjornhall
21st Feb 2009, 10:49
Current setup:

In lap, or tucked between/beside seat for takeoff and landing:
- Kneeboard with plog (if XC, otherwise just a sheet of paper for clearances or other profound thoughts) and pen
- Map; now using 1:500 000 plain paper rather than that monstrous 1:250 000 laminated PITA for XC
- transparent plastic folder containing airport diagrams for departure and destination, w&B/performance/speed calculation (one sheet), weather printouts etc

In map pockets, immediately reachable:
- POH (have had to dig it out of the baggage compartment on occasion when other pilots have been flying... :rolleyes:)
- sunglasses and spare glasses
- spare pen(s)
- sickbag when carrying pax...
- spare torch at night
- PLB (legal requirement)

In pilot bag:
- more maps
- flight computers (2)
- airport diagram binder
- ruler/protractor

But where to put the pilot bag I'm not sure... Behind the seats I can't reach it, so it might as well stay at home... In the right hand seat was not a good idea... On the floor in front of the right hand seat is very convenient, but not entirely comfortable that it could not interfere with rudder pedals... And with pax in right hand seat it has to go in the back and is thus unreachable...

All the little things... :rolleyes: