PDA

View Full Version : 737 FMC Inop

dinie
20th Feb 2009, 07:31
Hi all..i'm new here.

the question is..if i have a fmc inop the TMA (thrust mode anunciator) is blank right???

so how should i select climb thrust??

KristianNorway
20th Feb 2009, 07:54
Hello and welcome, dinie.

Check the "Max Climb %N1" table in the "Performance Inflight" section of the QRH.

Left Wing
20th Feb 2009, 08:14
hey dinie... which airline / charter operates a 737 in Singapore...or are you flying on a pc sim...

dinie
20th Feb 2009, 09:50
can i still use the A/T and use the N1 button?..
will it still select climb thrust or I have to set the N1 bug manually and then hit the N1 button

tell me how u guys will climb ??
setting the thrust manually??

thanks..

captjns
20th Feb 2009, 10:59
The A/T will be inop in the absence of an inop FMC. Thus the NFP will fine tune the thrust settings based on QHR, and or Planning and Performance Manual figures.

gonso
20th Feb 2009, 20:37
You will have to have the climb thrust figure written down and....yes, believe it or not, YOU will have to thrust back the engines to that figure. Amazing heh?

The AT is useless on N1 modes such as T/O, CLB, GA, but it will work fine on a speed mode later, when you reach the cruise (monitoring the max cruise N1).

dinie
21st Feb 2009, 02:50
Yeah,I agree with u gonso

thanks

Denti
21st Feb 2009, 07:35
The bigger question is though if you are still allowed to dispatch without any FMC as that is required for RNAV Operation. At least in this part of the world IFR flights without RNAV are not possible anymore so FMC inop is not allowed.

gonso
22nd Feb 2009, 22:53
The only scenario I can think of, is a very short flight (ferry or something), that does not require you to climb above FL190 (or thereabouts), therefore remaining below BRNAV airspace. You could dispatch with FMC inop in this case.

DC-ATE
22nd Feb 2009, 23:44
I find it very strange that a "qualified" pilot of a 737 has to come to an Internet Forum to get answers to a question that should have been covered in his ground school...if he went to one.

dinie
23rd Feb 2009, 04:14
is it wrong to ask question on the internet..and for your information i have 0 experience on the 737...
don't be mean to people please

DC-ATE
23rd Feb 2009, 12:41
OK, let's put it this way: The title of your thread was "737 FMC Inop". Why ask if it's of no concern? If you're transitioning, you'll be given all that info in ground school.

captjns
23rd Feb 2009, 12:53
Hey DC-ATE... who appointed you as the forum police? Some times less typed is far better than uncalled for comments... wouldn't you agree?:ok:

In response to your question dinie, you need to consult your company's MEL/DDPG concerning not only if you can go... but areas are approved operations too.

You will have A/T function via the MCP for speed/mach control in cruise, Vert Speed/ and level change.

Thrust Management

The autothrottle operates in response to flight crew mode control panel inputs orto automatic FMC commands. Reference thrust can be selected on the N1 LIMIT page. Automatic FMC autothrottle commands are made while VNAV is engaged.

The autothrottle system:

• uses reference thrust limits calculated by the FMC
• commands the thrust levers
• commands thrust equalization through the electronic engine controls.

Thrust limits are expressed as N1 limits. Thrust equalization references N1. The FMC calculates a reference thrust for the following modes:

The thrust reference mode automatically transitions for the respective phase of flight.
These modes can be selected on the N1 LIMIT page. The selected thrust reference mode is displayed on the thrust mode display.
The flight crew can specify the thrust reduction height where the transition from takeoff to climb thrust takes place by making an entry on TAKEOFF REF page 2. Allowable entries are 800 feet to 9,999 feet.
The default value is determined by the airline and is stored in the model/engine database.

Hope this helps dinie.

Vertical Speed
23rd Feb 2009, 13:01
DCATE! As a highly qualified and experienced 737 pilot and instructor myself I think your attitude stinks!!! Often I find I need to consult with others about obscure questions I get in my job and in many occasions the answers are difficult if not impossible to find in Boeing manuals! The whole idea of this forum is for pilots to be able to ask intelligent questions and get intelligent answers. You attitude suggests that you need some serious CRM training! Many of the inter-relationships between FMS, auto-pilot and autothrottle are a bit vague at times-- I look forward to reading more questions on these subjects and thus improving my own knowledge!:eek:

dinie
23rd Feb 2009, 13:08
Thanks a lot captjns and Vertical Speed

All of us are here to share our knowledge and experience :ok:

It's better to ask then assume..

thanks again

captjns
23rd Feb 2009, 13:16
Dinie... I attached an excerpt from the FCOM in my previous post regarding the Autothrottle system. It's not complet, but I hope it helps.

DC-ATE
23rd Feb 2009, 13:37
The one, 'dinie' stated that, ".....i have 0 experience on the 737...". So, it seems unnecessary to ask a question about the FMC on a 737. Now, if 'dinie' is going to transition to the 737, his question will be answered.
-----------
'captjns' -
Yes, you're right: "Some times less typed is far better than uncalled for comments..." However, I'm not sure I would call my reply, "uncalled" for. What is the point of supplying the info you supplied? I'd say that was excessive and uncalled for as well.
------------------
'Vertical Speed' -
"DCATE! As a highly qualified and experienced 737 pilot and instructor myself I think your attitude stinks!!! Often I find I need to consult with others about obscure questions I get in my job and in many occasions the answers are difficult if not impossible to find in Boeing manuals! The whole idea of this forum is for pilots to be able to ask intelligent questions and get intelligent answers. You attitude suggests that you need some serious CRM training! Many of the inter-relationships between FMS, auto-pilot and autothrottle are a bit vague at times-- I look forward to reading more questions on these subjects and thus improving my own knowledge!"

From the top: I'll use some after-shave. I was rated on the 737 as well, and being an "instructor" by no means makes you any more qualified that I was. I had an "instructor" try and kill me and my flying partner in an airplane once.....a 737! The answer to the question asked by 'dinie' would surely be available at his airline.....IF he is with an airline at all. He did not identify his position. Any airline ground school that doesn't have an answer to a question like that isn't much of a ground school now, is it?

As to CRM, one of my airlines started it.

arba
23rd Feb 2009, 14:06
sorry for topic drift, but it still about FMC (U5), can someone enlighten me on this,
what is the different in the PROGRESS 1/3 , between :

DME IRS(L) DME
SHM A 114.20 KHG A 113.80

and

KHG A 113.80 IRS(L)
LXR A 114.40 DME - DME

the VOR ident sometimes "left-right" ,sometimes "up-down". Thanks.