PDA

View Full Version : NPPL (m) - Flying Over seas?

tomtom_91
19th Feb 2009, 16:32
Hey,

I am a little bit :s about the NPPL I am looking and learning and then hopefully owning a Microlight however is it true that you can not fly them over to France /Ieland etc ?? And to get permission is a very very long process?

Hope some one can help!

Regards

Tom

larzabell
19th Feb 2009, 19:40
nope its easier than with an NPPL (sep) :ok:
should not have any problems as im sure theres an exemption for us nppl (m)s

jonkil
20th Feb 2009, 10:46
Not sure about France,
I am in Southern Ireland and have NPPL(M).
You are required to do the following:

Have an RT License
Have a class 2 medical
Have 50 hours PIC

Send copy of your license and RT and copy of logbook to the NMAI with a fee of 80 euro. See NMAI (http://www.NMAI.ie) for details, or send me a PM and I can put you in touch.

Not difficult to do, this process issues you with a validation for one year to fly in Irish airspace, it is renewable by sending in the same each year.

Your G reg aircraft (As I have) also needs permission to fly here too, this is free and you send in copies of your reg cert and current permit to fly..... the permission is issued up until the expiry date of your current permit to fly.

Now, here is the clux......... many many pilots in Ireland fly G reg aircraft on the UK NPPL(M) license and don't bother their nuts doing anything, this is common.... I have went down the proper road of doing it as I am near the Northern Ireland border and cross the FIR frequently.

All the best,
Jon

batninth
20th Feb 2009, 20:09
Tom,

I'd suggest you give the BMAA a quick ring on this one when the time comes for you to try it.

According to the NPPL web site, you do not have "automatic rights to fly abroad, but our friends in France have given a blanket exception so that we can fly there on our NPPL(M) ratings. All other countries require us to get permission first before we head off, and to check on the BMAA web site. I looked at the BMAA web site but can't find anything.

Either way, it looks like you're ok to head south and stop off for a glass or two of something pleasing.

tangovictor
20th Feb 2009, 22:21
I have the nppl m, and own a 3 axis microlight, flew to Blois, France, last year
you are allowed to fly to almost all European countries, in a ( microlight )
except Channel Islands / Eire / and Norway I think,
just fill in a flight plan, etc etc, off you go.
The nppl sep version does NOT allow European flights, without contacting each country first for permission.
The Eire problem, is apparently they don't much like our medical
The C'I's don't recognise the nppl, m or sep
Norway, no idea, what they don't like ?
Join the BMMA, and a microlight club, you will find most pilots very approachable and offer friendly advise

C42
21st Feb 2009, 06:47
it also depends if you fly a home built or factory built. I believe that you have to ask if you fly a factory built but not a shed built? could be wrong but i am sure i read it someware

dave