PDA

View Full Version : Trevor Thom in the USA

MyData
18th Feb 2009, 12:27
Hi all!

I've not been around these parts for a couple of years. What with job changes, a new baby daughter (who is now over a year old!) and my local airfield (Sheffield) closing I've been a bit out of sorts when it comes to getting in the skies - but I hope to be flying again soon.

Quick question - a work colleague in the US has asked me what the best starter book is for someone looking to learn to fly. I recommended Trevor Thom to him but he claims he can't get hold of it that easily in the States. Is there another book or series that is the PPL 'must have' out there?

Cheers!

julian_storey
18th Feb 2009, 12:31
Yes - this book is excellent.

Jeppesen Private Pilot Manual - MyPilotStore.com (http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/1941)

I am of course assuming that your American friend will be getting an FAA licence?

BackPacker
18th Feb 2009, 12:38
My first book was Rod Machado's Private Pilot Handbook. It's not in-depth enough as a full PPL study book, but gives a good introduction to all subjects. And it's written in a light, American style with lots of examples, jokes and other things that are supposed to make learning easier but we Europeans typically find annoying.

MyData
18th Feb 2009, 12:40
Thanks all.

Julian - yes he will (well, I expect he will) be going for the FAA licence. No ambitions to be a commercial pilot, just interested to get started and perhaps fly as a hobby.

I noted that my Trevor Thom book is JAA/JAR-FCL so probably will not be 100% appropriate for someone in the US. Although the mechanics of flight are the same over there - so I'm led to believe :-)

malc4d
18th Feb 2009, 14:21
Try looking at ASA: Home Page (http://www.asa2fly.com)
the pilots manual 1 by trevor thom Flight training

Duchess_Driver
18th Feb 2009, 15:51

Gleim Publications (http://www.gleim.com)

Range of products for all courses.

djpil
18th Feb 2009, 18:17
FAA's Airplane Flying Handbook (http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aircraft/airplane_handbook/)and FAA's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/pilot_handbook/)are both free online.

Pitts2112
18th Feb 2009, 22:44
It's been a few years since I got my ticket in the US, and things may have changed, but I think Thom's books would be nonapplicable in the US, primarily because the FAA has only one written exam, therefore, one book will get you through. Unless Thom has done a specific book for the FAA syllabus, his set would be out of synch with the US program.

I used Jeppensen's and thought it was great. My uncle also gave me a soft-back book which I think was probably "Stick and Rudder", but it's been so long ago I can't remember. It seemed to be 1940s era, well written, and very useful, whatever it was.

He'll also want a copy of the latest FAR/AIM if things haven't changed that much in 18 years.

kevmusic
19th Feb 2009, 12:12
Although the mechanics of flight are the same over there

No they're not - you can loop a Cub over there. :rolleyes:

MyData
19th Feb 2009, 12:13
Pitts2112 - only one written exam in the US? I never realised that - I thought a syllabus (and examinations) would be much the same the world over. You learn something everyday.

Does the single paper cover everything or are subjects that we have to study just never covered / examined?

julian_storey
19th Feb 2009, 12:44
In FAA land, there is one 'written' (actually computer based) for each certificate (ie. one each for private, commercial and ATP) and one for the instrument rating.

The FAA private exam covers all the subjects that your seven JAA PPL writtens cover.

It's not quite that simple though. There is a pretty comprehensive oral exam prior to your check ride (skills test) which really separates out those who understand the stuff from those that have learned the book like a parrot.

Your written test result shows subject codes for the questions you got wrong. In my experience, the examiner will tend to base your oral grilling on those subject areas.

mm_flynn
19th Feb 2009, 15:47
Pitts2112 - only one written exam in the US? I never realised that - I thought a syllabus (and examinations) would be much the same the world over.the syllabus, as in general subjects, are similer. However, the airlaw, airspace, details of nav and come, and services available are all pretty different.

Pitts2112
19th Feb 2009, 16:56
MyData,

It was as big a surprise to me to come to the UK and find that flying is taught very differently. I also thought the syllabus would be the same the world over. When I explained to my conversion instructor at Leicester what I wanted to do to get my flying skills back after a 5 year break, I referred to US standard exercises and procedures and he gave me a completely blank look. That's when I knew I wasn't in Kansas any more.

Things are much simpler in the US. As much as I love the UK, it does suffer from a deep-seated mistrust of any methods used in other countries and a need to over-engineer and complicate things whilst not adding that incovenient byproduct of value. (This need has transferred nicely into JAA/EASA land, for some inexplicable reason.) Hence, one ground school course and one exam covers all the 7 CAA/JAA/EASA courses and exams in around 100 questions. Six times simpler, quicker, and cheaper.

The US syllabus is actually more involving, too, including comprehensive training on VFR navaids such as NDBs and VORs, which, for some reason, the CAA seem to have deemed inappropriate for PPLs (not sure about the JAA/EASA syllabus). That's a real shame because when I got lost on my long solo x-country in the US, it was VOR cross-checking that got me found again.