PDA

View Full Version : Instructor Seminar next week, anyone?

Whirlybird
18th Feb 2009, 07:50
I just wondered if anyone else from here was going to the FI Seminar at Wellesbourne next Monday/Tuesday?

andrepilota
4th Mar 2009, 21:29
hi guys,

I just posted a similar thread on the FI renewal,and I've looked into the same seminar but for northampton in april.

How was it?any impression?

Regards.

Whirlybird
5th Mar 2009, 07:16
I found it excellent and very informative, but I was on the helicopter one so it would have been slightly different. However, a very experienced f/w instructor friend, who usually does the test instead, came and said she was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

If you're reading this, well done On-Track. :ok:

Captain Stable
5th Mar 2009, 13:26
Did one of those last year.

One or two excellent presentations, including one by Prof. Mike Bagshaw. :ok:

A couple were dire, dire and awful - death by Powerpoint. When will people realise that it is totally pointless putting up a powerpoint slide and then just reading out what it says? Ah well - one needs a little snooze after lunch when you get to my age! :hmm:

hugh flung_dung
5th Mar 2009, 16:26
I attended an OnTrack seminar at the end of last year and thought it was very good, with the exception of the syndicate presentations. I fail to see what value these have since in the FI world a team of FIs never share a presentation that they've cobbled-together a few hours before. It would be far more value (IMNSHO) to get everyone to prepare a brief beforehand and to pick a couple of lucky punters out of the hat at random - but then for the organisers to give a "reference" brief afterwards to standardise the attendees.
I went to an ETA seminar about 6 years ago and the syndicate bit there was dire. Several incorrect briefs were given but they were not corrected by the organisers - quite a pointless exercise and one that has a negative effect on inexperienced FIs who may not realise the errors.
Having said all that, the seminars are more use than having to slog through a dummy test with bloggs.

HFD