PDA

View Full Version : Automated ACARS Transmissions

Badmachine
15th Feb 2009, 21:49
Apparently, certain ACARS traffic is transmitted automatically by major Boeing and Airbus planes.

Apparently, certain ACARS traffic received by these planes, generates an automatic confirmation of receipt reply.

Was just wondering what percentage and what nature of aircraft ACARS traffic is automatically transmitted?

boredcounter
15th Feb 2009, 22:00
Sure others will chip in with more.

Our not very new 75's send all movements OOOI and return to stand themselves, the off message containing all door closure and engine start times.

Once aloft, automatic position reports are sent at predefined intervals, including FL and FOB.

As far as I am aware, (non-pilot) all the other stuf like departure/arrival fuel, snags and ops normal received each sector require Crew input to send.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Checkboard
17th Feb 2009, 10:43
I knew a Captain who over-temped an engine on start, but decided not to tell anyone. Successful second start, and he took off - but the ACARS engine overtemp report, and subsequent demotion letter beat him to his destination! :hmm:

tvrao
17th Feb 2009, 11:27
Automatic messages transmitted by ACARS depends on Airlines configuration settings.Some airlines configure the system such that half an hour before landing PLF(present leg faults) from CMC are automatically transmitted to their maintenance control center.Airlines can configure using AMI(Airline modifiable information) software, which reports they want to be transmitted to their company when aircraft is in flight.
OOOI reports and ADS position reports are basic to all airlines.

superliner
17th Feb 2009, 16:02
On a side note what does ACARS actually stand for, is it Aircraft Communication Addressing..... or ARINC Communication Addressing. My book Eismin says its the latter whereas sources on the internet (read wikipedia and the like) say it is is "Aircraft". Don't mean to hijack the thread.... :ok:

hoover1
17th Feb 2009, 21:51
two captians flying together at our company once stalled a plane on approach while arguing with eachother and were fired before they even touched down due to acars.

K.Whyjelly
18th Feb 2009, 07:20
On a side note what does ACARS actually stand for, is it Aircraft Communication Addressing..... or ARINC Communication Addressing. My book Eismin says its the latter whereas sources on the internet (read wikipedia and the like) say it is is "Aircraft". Don't mean to hijack the thread.... :ok:

Well, according to my Airbus FANS-A course notes, in the list of acronyms ACARS stands for Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System

Badmachine
18th Feb 2009, 10:18
Interesting information.

Generally, would an ATC directed deviation from a flight plan generate any automatic ACARS transmissions from an aircraft of a major carrier?

Checkboard
18th Feb 2009, 10:39
From wiki: ARINC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARINC)

In 1978 ARINC introduced ACARS© (Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System), which is a datalink system that enables ground stations (airports, aircraft maintenance bases, etc.) and commercial aircraft to communicate without voice, but data, due to the datalink system being integrated with aircraft systems via a Communications Management Unit (CMU), such as fuel quantity, weight on wheels, FMS, etc.

I doubt that an acronym would have an acronym as one of its elements (i.e. it wouldn't be ACARS, if the A stood for AIRINC, it would be AIRINCARS)

superliner
18th Feb 2009, 15:21
I doubt that an acronym would have an acronym as one of its elements (i.e. it wouldn't be ACARS, if the A stood for AIRINC, it would be AIRINCARS)

Thank you... I was thinking along the same lines but it still kind of leaves a stronger impression on me when it is in black and white as opposed to on a computer screen. I guess the book is wrong then.

Graybeard
18th Feb 2009, 15:42
Since ARINC was the sole provider for message handling in the US, via licensing of the VHF frequencies, Arinc was often interchanged with Aircraft in the translation. SITA had a different name for its data link, which used the same avionics. Can't remember just now what it was.

GB

FlapsFive
18th Feb 2009, 16:08

How about VOR? or should I now be calling that a VHFOR? :ok:

Anyway if you think that's wierd then how about the programming language "PHP" in which the first "P" stands for "PHP"! :bored:

FF

flighttest-engineer
18th Feb 2009, 16:31
"Generally, would an ATC directed deviation from a flight plan generate any automatic ACARS transmissions from an aircraft of a major carrier?"

No there will be no automated ACARS messages caused by ATC deviations (to my knowledge).
The automated ACARS messages are triggered by the (previously by the airline) defined messsage-windows, like engine start, climb, stable cruise, descend etc...
It really depends on the definition of the ACARS message windows, what and when an automatic message will be triggered.
This SW is installed in the ACARS management-unit and can be modified by qualified technicians according to the special needs of the airline operations.
I hope this answers your question.

tvrao
19th Feb 2009, 00:53
The messages from aircraft which automatically get transmited to ground depend on the AMI configuration file in the system software.This varies from airline to airline.The technical service department of your airline will be able to tell you which reports are auto configured and which are manual.
In case of diversion report, delay report and other reports pilot can access them through FMS CDU on Boeing 747-400 aircraft and send them to ground.There are number of reports which can be sent to ground using ACARS.

twist347
13th Aug 2010, 16:29
However a airline ground application in receipt of position reports (standard ATC or specially configured) can detect deviations from an FP.