PDA

View Full Version : Filipino pilot wannabee

vynbytez
13th Feb 2009, 00:25
Hi and good day to all of you. I would like to seek opinions regarding this matter especially from my kababayan. I am 29 years old, married with one child. Ever since I was a child, I always wanted to be a pilot but my father never really allowed me to. I took up chemical engineering in a well known university in Manila but never finished it because I really don't have interest in it.

Now my question is this, if ever I take up flying courses, will I eventually be able to fly for an airline company even though I'm not a degree holder? Is it too late for me to have this career since I'm already 29 years old?

Mach086
13th Feb 2009, 09:42
I sent you a PM.

however 2 quick answers.

1. 29 is not old. If you go on the wannabe forums, you will see guys as old as 40 embarking on training to fulfil a lifelong dream.

2. Degree is not important in places like europe. However in the Philippines, if you want to work in Jolibee they ask for graduate!!!!! weird. So I'm sure PAL would want a degree? ANyone shed light on this?

You are a filipino. You will know more than anyone else that it is not what you know, but who you know. Friends with PAL cheif capt? friends with any senators or congressman?

gubaclagan
13th Feb 2009, 10:05
There are lots of flying school in the Philippines. You are 29 years old and young to chase your dream. Your college/university units can be considered to continue for a flying career. "Just put your mind over the fence and your heart will follow." Disregard negative comments and pursue whatever you think that is good for you and your family! Happy flying!:ok:

vynbytez
13th Feb 2009, 10:48
thanks for the reply guys. i think you cannot really enter PAL if you are an undergrad. the first thing in my mind was to enter PAL flying school but they required cadets to be degree holders that's why i ruled that out. my brother graduated as a degree holder in BS flying (?) from Airlink. he is now a flight instructor in one of the flying schools in one of the provinces here. even he is finding it hard to enter CEBU PACIFIC and PAL.

gubaclagan
14th Feb 2009, 15:20
Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum. Nil Further.

LarryDCableGuy
14th Feb 2009, 22:32
If you're planning to enter a cadet program with any airline in Asia then 29 is a little bit on the older side and you need to have a college degree. But if you're going to get your ATPL on your own then your age is not a factor. I started my flight training when I was 30 and ten years later I am on the left seat of a 744 flying all over the place.
Go for it!

headshotxxx
15th Feb 2009, 03:48
I think 29 is not too old to get your dream started but I would suggest that you map out your training path and remain FOCUSED! Get your wife to participate in the planning coz it ont be all too rosy and if she's in with you, that's great. There will be a lot of ups and downs so teamwork will be crucial.

If you eventually would plan to fly in the Phils, I think a degree would come in handy so consider going to night school to complete even a 4 yr degree. Good luck !

vynbytez
15th Feb 2009, 07:02
Thanks for the replies. Actually I wouldn't really like to fly here. I would like to work for let's say Etihad. do they require college degree holders as well?

jester_icarus
15th Feb 2009, 10:34
wow..you are asking for too much. maybe not a good thing to say "i dont want to fly (work) here. (Philippines)"

Maybe too premature to make a statement like that..."Pre-Madonna" ( not sure if i spelled this right)

good luck..sincerely

anito4a
15th Feb 2009, 22:34
I would like to work for let's say Etihad.

Yeah, don't we all? My advice to you is get your license first. Then get some hours under your belt and only then, worry about who to work for.

vynbytez
16th Feb 2009, 02:13
guys, it's only my dream. hehe:)
back to my question, if ever let's say you would apply for an international airline? would you need a college degree? thanks

headshotxxx
16th Feb 2009, 08:04
That kind of statement warrants the comments from the other posters. Everybody pays his dues in this industry and to think too big that far ahead prior to your first solo.......well, that's the kind of answers you will get.

Since you are going into aviation, get used to a culture of checklists. As a friendly advise, the most important checklist you need to memorize is - ENGAGE BRAIN BEFORE OPENING MOUTH!

Now to your question about degrees - it's a supply and demand thing. If hiring is really hot, you may be able to get away without a degree but once hiring cools down, you will be competing with guys who not only have bachelor's but sometimes Master's degree. Hope that paints the picture.

thrust clb
16th Feb 2009, 10:45
Hehehe. You don't want to work here and you'd rather fly for Etihad. It's like saying you want to race in Formula 1 and you don't even know how to drive a gokart yet.:p

Cessna1052
16th Feb 2009, 13:05
Well Guys, lets give him a break. He's a wannabe and very much clueless on what kind of environment he's getting into, much as to the kinds of people he'll bump into once he joins the world of the flying Gentlemens and Ladies.

Vyn, this is just a blow of the wind( a light one). Wait til you dip yourself into the water. Goodluck!

C1052

vynbytez
16th Feb 2009, 22:12
Well Guys, lets give him a break. He's a wannabe and very much clueless on what kind of environment he's getting into, much as to the kinds of people he'll bump into once he joins the world of the flying Gentlemens and Ladies.

Vyn, this is just a blow of the wind( a light one). Wait til you dip yourself into the water. Goodluck!

C1052

atleast someone understands me. :)
i pretty much get the picture now. thanks guys, you have been a lot of help.
by the way, is yokota flying school any good?:confused:

jester_icarus
16th Feb 2009, 23:24
reading this subject forum felt like watching the pac-man vs dela hoya fight....OUCH!! no mas...no mas...

NewBreedflyboy
17th Feb 2009, 03:39
The difference between 29 y/o and a 65 y/o:

65: I've always wanna be a pilot when i was young...
29: Am I too old to be a pilot?...

My adv to you is to visit your nearest flying school & talk to any CFI. Get an introductory flight then schedule your first ground lesson. Don't think, DO it! If you think, your dead. (ow, i sounded like Tom Cruise) I meant you are wasting your time. I started flying when I was 30. Finally, I'm getting my Multi Commercial next month. :DI work fulltime and go to school at night to get my degree. So, yes- you can do the same too if you put your mind into it. Money, Sacrifice, descipline & motivation...That's the key!

Good Luck Pare!

Mach086
17th Feb 2009, 08:37
vynbytez

Cessna 1052 said a very important thing - "Wait till you dip yourself in the water".

You don't Choose to work for Etihad, you don't chose to work for Emirates, you don't chose to work for Cathay Pacific. If after training (250hrs) you get 3 interviews at these airlines and get offered a job by all three - you will be the first guy EVER in the world to do that.

You do not choose what airline - they choose you. Be ready to work on a turboprop for a few years earning the same amount as a jeepney driver - whilst at the same time sending 100s of CV's around the world. Then again, if you happen to know the Chief Pilot at PAL - then congratulations! 747-400 from day 1.

Seriously though, here in england, people PAY to work for low cost carriers - like easy Jet/Ryan Air. If they are "lucky" enough to get a job.

Read many posts here on pprune. You will find that finding a job is 100 times more difficult than the Instrument Rating test.

bradzfeet
29th Mar 2009, 15:45
it is true, that the philippines is short of pilots,

however, it does not mean if u have finished college and finished PPL CPL and IR rating that we can land a job in the airline industry, even if u are a flight instructor with thousands of hours on your belt. it is still hard to land a job in the philippine avaiation industry...

the harsh reality of General Avaiation in the philippines is that most of the time " dapat mey kapit" or u know someone who will help u out in landing a good job in avaition. it is still hard work...

im not hear to discourage aspiring pilots... i am an aspiring pilot myself, using all my call center salary just to finance my flying tuition... to me it is a comitment in knowing what is out there and facing no matter what happens.

knowing all this, if ur still willing to give it a go.... then for me the person who does deserves to be a pilot no matter what aircraft or flying job that would present itself to us in the future...

long live philippine pilots!!!

console
9th Apr 2009, 06:02
hello. i'm already 36 years old and wants to be a pilot. is there still a chance for me? not that much money for pilot school. any suggestions on how to still fulfill my dream?

agent123
9th Apr 2009, 07:55
Microsoft Flight Simulator :E

MaintainYourHeading
9th Apr 2009, 13:47
Breaking anyones dream is never smart ... microsoft simulator is definitely not a smooth answer.

so anyways i'll try to give some suggestions:

it depends what your dream is and what you are trying to do. So I'll break the bad news now... if you are trying to be an airline pilot now at 36 and you do not have money to pay for your training then i think it will be impossible to get there... no cadet program will accept you because they usually all have an age limit around 26 years old. So only solution: pay for your entire training.

So now for the good news and how most poeple with little money manage to get through:

If you are just trying to do that as a hobby i don't think it's a big problem, continue your normal job and pay for a flight hour here and there at your own paste until you get your license and you will probably experience the best flying ever and be very satisfied with the realization of your dream.

If you wih to make a living off of it: most pilots will continue there normal job to pay for their flight training until they get a commercial license. Then 2 choices: either try to find a job that will only require your commercial license ( a multi engine license will open more doors for you) or get an instructor license right away and find a job as an instructor and here as long as you have a medical you will always find a school to hire you regardless of your age... the airlines...probably forget it but if you wish to fly bigger then you can try business jet, they won't look too much at your age and more at your experience, will to fly for them, ambitions and capabilities.

Good luck.

Julien

whitebugplusten
10th Apr 2009, 09:48
I got lucky. Maybe I had good karma from a past life...maybe. One day you just email your CV to the right person, he gives you an interview and everything falls into place. Next thing you know you're in the right seat of a spankin' new ATR. Sometimes your prayers are answered. So don't give up man!

St. Ex
16th Apr 2009, 11:11
I got my PPL at the ripe old age of 31 yet here I am, 14 years hence driving a fine young baby bus.

burnok100
22nd Apr 2009, 12:00
hi All.. this is my first post.. i am a lurker for some time (2 yrs?) and i could not pass this one up.

First, I am not a pilot (not yet, but going there)... but i really wanted to fly too just like you guys. I have built my experience (technical) around planes and helis since 1988. I have applied for cadet training with PAF school.. but destiny have other plans. so here I am still longing to fly (legally).

I could not pass this one up to answer the negative comments that you throw to the wannabees/newbies... SAN BA KAYO NAGSIMULA (where did you start)? You have to start somewhere... just like driving a car for the first time...

Some of the people here are very negative to some dodo or wannabee who wanted to learn the art of flying. why not give these people a chance? 30 yrs old is not too old to learn to fly. To the guy who started this thread, Go fullfill your dreams. My advise... kung gusto maraming paraan, kung ayaw madaming dahilan (if there's a will there's a way).

Pasalamat nalang yung may mga mayayamang mga magulang. May mayaman kayong mga PAPA. We all know that learning to fly is not cheap.

Now, with regards working with Etihad.. hey.. it is just a dream... i belive you guys really wanted to Fly the F14 like maverick, and not that crappy bus of yours. Let the guy dream. All goals started from a dream...

Re. Yokota.... i know the guy who owns/runs that, but this is not the right place to ask about certain schools. Do your homework... ask the current and former students of yokota. You can gauge the school's performance on the "product" they produce.

To vynbytez.... if everything still does not compute and you still can't earn those wings... the last resort: why not buy a plane, and start a charter company...? and ask your best bud to teach you to fly... di ba madali..?

burnok100