PDA

View Full Version : Going from NPPL to PPL...

preduk
10th Feb 2009, 23:52
Hi all,

I have a mate whos looking to get his PPL so that he can go commercial some point in the future when he finishes all of his training, the problem is that being a University student he can't find the funds to pay for the full PPL.

He was considering doing the NPPL but was concerned if it would cause any issues if he wanted to upgrade to the PPL (before doing the commercial licences).

Is there anyone here that has done this before? Was there any problems and how long did it take you to convert to the full PPL? Is it something thats recommended or would he be better of waiting a year and doing the full PPL.

Thanks!

captain_flynn
11th Feb 2009, 01:13
I'm currently upgrading mine.
Although my circumstances are different. I moved and didnt fly for about 9 months and then started flying from Cranfield which is far far busier than where I got my NPPL at. Anyway i've done probably around 10hrs or so with an instructor (and some solo time) to get myself back into it but from my understanding once you've done abit of a refresh of things (stalling, etc) you can then do the general flying test.

However, for the NPPL I think the qualifying cross country is 100 miles whereas the normal PPL is 150. I did the 150 on my NPPL course and therefore dont have to do that when upgrading. However should your friend only do the 100 mile qualifying cross country he will then have to do the 150 one too when upgrading.

If there is anything else im sure someone else will add the info here.