PDA

View Full Version : Cheap flying!

1d2d3d4d
9th Feb 2009, 17:01
Friends sent me this over the weekend, Thought you guys might enjoy.

http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1778399&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1& show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1

Chris

Pace
9th Feb 2009, 17:10
Chris

That is an amazing bit of film. Those guys must have one heck of a lot of guts? Flying in the true sense and a lot more than I would ever have the guts to do :)

How they control their descent rate to pass so close with such accuracy???
Amazing.

Not sure about the title "cheap Flying" very expensive if you get it wrong!

Pace

Thanks for posting it! a must see.

wsmempson
9th Feb 2009, 17:19
Awesome.

I doff my cap in the face of hero's with Cajones the size of medicine balls....

Enticing to think of this as "flying", but I can't persuade myself that this isn't merely "controlled falling".....

RotaryWingB2
9th Feb 2009, 17:41
Believe me, with what it takes to get to this sort of level, cheap it is certainly not!

Pace
9th Feb 2009, 17:50
Geordie

And they used the term "Hero" for the Hudson river landing. What does that make these guys apart from headcases ? :)

Pace

Cusco
9th Feb 2009, 21:43
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/N34eMz_rY_U&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/N34eMz_rY_U&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

There can be a down side:

Cusco.

1d2d3d4d
10th Feb 2009, 21:01
Hi Guys,

The "Cheap Flying" title was a bit tongue in cheek. The laundry bill for clean underpants must be considerable, a fresh pair required every flight I would Imagine and the cost of disposable undercarriages must be substantial, though I suspect there might be a retreival system for these.

I couldn't jump out of a meat bomber let alone fall of a cliff on purpose. Base jumpers I salute you:ok:

Chris

MartinCh
11th Feb 2009, 01:46
Cusco,

that accident vid seems to show the guy's own misjudged time/space clearance for pulling the chute. Sure, it's related to wingsuit as they've got the chute until they perfect the right flare procedure for landing :ouch: The guy got away fairly OK, considering the nature of the terrain. He could have resembled human snowball.

I've seen the first linked video while ago. Sounds like next step from simply jumping off 200-400ft high span/bridge/tower/cliff and pulling the chute straight away. Hmm. But then, this looks like the closest thing to human flight (or should we call it controlled fall?) I'd go for skydiving should I get bored of staying 'afloat' in gliders or powered aircraft.

Still far from thermalling in 'own clothes'..

shortstripper
11th Feb 2009, 06:27
That's not flying ... it's just falling under control! :hmm:

BTW, who retrieves the ski's, or do they just leave them there?

SS

Cusco
11th Feb 2009, 11:38
Martin wrote:Cusco,

that accident vid seems to show the guy's own misjudged time/space clearance for pulling the chute. Sure, it's related to wingsuit as they've got the chute until they perfect the right flare procedure for landing The guy got away fairly OK, considering the nature of the terrain. He could have resembled human snowball.

Agreed: but the accident is inextricably linked to the flight suit: No other idiot would pull the cord and open a parachute while alongside a rock face.

Do you imagine they'll ever perfect a 'flare' to land and thus be able to dispense with a parachute?

Cusco:rolleyes: