PDA

View Full Version : Strange callsign

olympus
21st Jun 2000, 01:44
Coming back from FRA yesterday evening, working Maastricht, we were joined on the freq by an aircraft callsign 'Diana'. They sounded Germanic (Teutonic?). Anyone know who/what they are?

Ceppo
21st Jun 2000, 01:52
Could it have been a flying Renault? ;)

Midnight Blue
21st Jun 2000, 01:57
If it is the Airplane, I think, it will be no callsign but a registration, often used by controllers as a "callsign". There is a King Air based at Paderborn/Lippstadt, Germany with the Registration: D-IANA, which explains itself.
Hope, I could help,
Midnight Blue

barcode
21st Jun 2000, 04:13
On a similar but related topic, anyone know what "Boeing 737 Whiskey Hotel" was who we overtook on the North Atlantic (eastbound) night before last??????

22nd Jun 2000, 01:12
Barcode,

Boeing BBJ N737WH has been in Dublin and Cork every few days for the last two or three weeks. Its operated by the Miami Dolphins. They also have a Bell 430 and a few Gulfstream 4's which have all been around Dublin recently.

Its just one big golf outing!

Good luck,

Kegbuster
23rd Jun 2000, 03:06
The best call sign i have ever heard is Gost Rider.Who are they? and what aircraft do they operate?

------------------
Only Real Ale comes from a cask.

capt waffoo
23rd Jun 2000, 03:48
Methi Gost or Bhindi Gost?

Me I prefer a nice Bombay Aloo.

;)

Buzzoff
23rd Jun 2000, 04:12
Kegbuster, I think you may mean "Coastrider" which is the callsign of BASE airlines. I think they may be Netherlands based & operate Jetstreams. BTW, at first I thought they were saying "Ghost Writer" !! :)

Subsonic
23rd Jun 2000, 18:04
Correct ! BASE Airlines´ Callsign is "Coastrider". They are operating Routes from EIN to Gatwick, Birmingham, Zurich, Manchester and Rotterdam. Fleet consists of Jetstream 31, Embraer Brasilia and one Beech 1900 D.
:-)

Fast Erect
23rd Jun 2000, 22:29
Fly FTI(German subsidiary of AIH)uses 'FROGLINE'.
mmmmmmmmmm..........not so sure about this one.

EESDL
28th Jun 2000, 23:24
Northern Ireland Support Helicopter Force use the Voice Callsign "Swallow" followed by a two-digit number when outside the Provence. You can imagine which number was always booked months in advance! A giggling air traffic controller from Chivenor thought she was the first to see the connection, but hey! that's what it's all about.

dk-DP
29th Jun 2000, 12:05
How about the German company called something like witchcraft ?

Or is it "Which craft" ?

coco-nuts
1st Jul 2000, 20:13
kegbuster,whilst flying into and out of GUM,i too have heard this callsign ghost rider.it is used by a U/S heli squadron based out of Anderson A/F base.they fly chinooks.
hope this has helped out.
cheers

Check 6
2nd Jul 2000, 00:50
Ghostrider 741 is US Navy helo based in Naples, Italy.

Ciao, Check 6

------------------
Kick the tires, light the fires, first off is lead, brief on guard.

notac
2nd Jul 2000, 01:02
Heard an a/c take off from EDI recently with the callsign "Blackadder" think it was a light twin, anyway one of the best callsigns I have heard.

Eric T Cartman
2nd Jul 2000, 02:01
'Witchcraft' is c/s for Flugdienst Fehlhaber Gmbh of Neustadt, Germany, ICAO code FFG. I have seen their Cessna F406 Caravan II 's at Prestwick.

'Frog-Line' is c/s for Frosch Touristik Gmbh of Munich, Germany, ICAO code FTI.

(info from ICAO code book)

[This message has been edited by Eric T Cartman (edited 01 July 2000).]

capt waffoo
2nd Jul 2000, 03:23
ICAO is supposed to ratify company callsigns on the basis that they are phonetically uniqe and/or distinguishable.

Now we seem to have operations called "Ghost Rider" and "Coast Rider" which are absloutely identical phonetically operating within a few miles of each other.

Two years ago there were "Debonair" and "Japanair" callsigns with IDENTICAL numbers operating simultaneously in Maastricht airspace.....Try saying "Debonair" and "Japanair" in Dutch and Japanese English accents and youll maybe see my point. Additionally there was also a company called "Denimair" on frequency too!

This is bloody dangerous and ICAO needs to get its act together before a serious incident or worse occurs.

They aint in control!

dk-DP
2nd Jul 2000, 10:41
The same is relevant for "Birdie" and "British", whilst "British" in certain UK accents is pronounced something like "Birtish" ... that makes these two callsigns sound a lot alike !

But how about waypoints - in Norway, on the stretch between Oslo and the South West coast there are some waypoints within a confined area, that can sound the same. Apart from Sola (Stavanger), there are a great number of points starting with SO, strangely enough they are all on the FIR boundary dividing ENSV and ENOS - named from the south:

SONAV-SOSOL-SOTIR-SOGLO-SOPAS-SOPAR-SOGRA-SOPEN-SOMAG-SOBOD-SOMES and then there are the NDB's near Oslo named SOKNA SOLBERG.

They are all different all right, but the kind of controller likely to put the pressure on the first syllable will let SOPAR and SOPAS sound alike, when they omit the trailing 'ssss' of SOPAS. These two points are less than 30 miles apart - and it doesn't help either, that Norwegians have a special 'twist' of wowes (sp?) where "a" becomes "arg" or "r", "o" becomes "oo" or "u", and "u" becomes "yh" (!) - this makes "SOPAR" sound like "SUPAR", and "SOGLO" sound like "ZUGLU" ... If you know this, or can guess where they want you, it is no problem, but to newcomers, you would often need a few "say agains" ...

Aren't these points made up in ICAO, Eurocontrol or somewhere central ? Wonder why these points had to be so similar sounding.

snafu
3rd Jul 2000, 02:18
A 'Diana' callsign in the Netherlands/Belgium area is almost certainly an F16 from one of the Dutch squadrons.

overstress
3rd Jul 2000, 23:16
snafu: Doesn't that Sqn have a badge showing an Amazon complete with bow+arrow+boob hanging out?

snafu
4th Jul 2000, 02:46
Not sure. All I know is from our flight safety mag 'Cockpit' that a 'Diana' callsign had a close encounter with one of our stovies a few years ago. Stovie lost the radome almost up to his feet and the F16 lost a foot or so of stabilator!

Neither of them saw each other!!

------------------
Fly Navy
Dig Army
Eat Crab

Diesel8
5th Jul 2000, 02:07
Who is "Jetset", heard them a couple of times going to the Caribbean?

Wycombe
5th Jul 2000, 18:06
Diesel:

I'm sure Capt PPrune would be proud to answer that for you, but I will beat him to
it:

"Jetset" is Air 2000 of the UK, flight code
AMM (geddit). Large scheduled/charter operator with A320/321, B757/767.

Cheers

Diesel8
6th Jul 2000, 07:25
Thanks Wycombe.
Imagine, I could have been hearing the "captain" on the r/t. Cool!

SilentHandover
6th Jul 2000, 08:59
Blackadder bomb around all over the south i think he is based in Plymouth it's a PA31 the trigraph for them is MOU(stache).

Luftwaffle
7th Jul 2000, 05:05
Here is a site for looking up operator callsigns.
http://www.faa.gov/atpubs/CNT/3-3.HTM

It helps if you know the three-letter designator, but if you don't you can guess the first letter and then use your browser's search function for the name or callsign.