PDA

View Full Version : Getting to students

nick14
6th Feb 2009, 12:32
Hello all,

Just looking for a bit of advice on what most student and GA pilots read.

Im looking to advertise a personal ground school related service for student pilots, where would be best?

Nick

hightower1986
6th Feb 2009, 12:43
probably on here would be as good as any other place, like the ones you see above this!? Or i read Pilot and Flyer magazine(depends whats on the cover!)

nick14
6th Feb 2009, 13:45
pprune is a little out of my price bracket.

I will try Pilot

thanks!!

N

hightower1986
6th Feb 2009, 14:12
oh right sorry not sure how much it costs on here? what is it your actualy advertising? just curious, but feel free to tell!

nick14
6th Feb 2009, 14:24
PPL ground school, Its around 300$ for an advert for a month on here.

BackPacker
6th Feb 2009, 14:50
Nick, what you also might want to try, very carefully, is investigate with the flying clubs/schools in your area if they provide a similar service already. If they don't, for instance because they only offer evening classroom courses, you might want to ask them if you can leave a flyer or brochure with them.

You've got to be careful not threading on somebodies toes, but if you apply enough tact and common sense, it might work.

And of course there's Google adwords. Probably the best method of advertising on-line today.

nick14
6th Feb 2009, 14:55
Yes its the diplomatic way of apporaching it.

My local clubs do the ground school when requested by the student and the FI's do the lessons. I was thinking of putting to the schools that If I did the ground school the instructors would be free to fly more often, which is after all far more beneficial to them.

Its almost student stealing so its a difficult subject to push.

I have a poster that is ready to be displayed its just finding willing schools to display it.

Nick

BackPacker
6th Feb 2009, 15:03
Most schools I've seen do open-enrollment, set classroom courses in the evening. If you offer personalized, intensive, one-on-one groundschool in the daytime for a higher price it might not even compete with what the school offers. Instead, it would complement their service.

Your success would also depend on the enthousiasm of the FIs to conduct groundschool classes. Some like it, some don't. A passionate GA instructor might like to do groundschool, while hourbuilding-airline-wannabees might not be so keen.

And you could even consider some sort of kickback/referral fee for the school who brought you a student, to soften the emotions somewhat. After all, a (commercial) school makes money on the FIs it employs. Why should the school not make money when they refer someone to an instructor who happens not to be employed by the school?

So as I said, do some investigation first and consider what sort of deal the school and its students would be interested in, before stepping on sensitive toes.

nick14
6th Feb 2009, 15:48
Thanks Backpacker,

I will certainly have a look at the google ads although last time I tried it was rather unwilling to accept my account.

Thats good advice about the referral fee, might help in swaying some minds.

Thanks All
Nick