PDA

View Full Version : To Dallas Dude

Thrust Reverser
5th Dec 2000, 09:10
Hey DD,

A friend of mine is thinking of putting in an application form with AA.
Would you know if they are hiring low hour pilots at this time?

She is about to do the ATP Part 121 exam here
in Sydney. Could you let me know and send me an email if they are hiring.

thanks
------------------------------
Pull up - pull up !!! - What do you want me to pull ?

[This message has been edited by Thrust Reverser (edited 05 December 2000).]

flite idol
7th Dec 2000, 18:38
Hey TR, I`ll put this back to the top for you so DD might see it. I also fly out of DFW but not for AA unfortunatly and can tell you that AA have at least 10,000 qualified applicants on file. We had an intern on our jump seat the other day, basically the chief pilots lackey who shares a room with one of the recruitment chaps. The scoop at the moment is fairly low time is acceptable if it is military, he said currently 70-80% of new hires are military. If your background is civilian the minimum to be comptitive is 4-5000 hours including significant turbine airline PIC time and at least a bachelors degree. The previous CP was a bit more willing to hire folks on personal recomendation so there are many exceptions to this already flying the line, but the new chap in charge has eliminated that and as a former marine aviator, well need I say more.? Its a tough nut to crack but well worth the effort, hopefully DD or someone closer to the action can give a more accuracte account from the inside. Good luck!!!!!

McD
8th Dec 2000, 17:57
Thrust Reverser & Flite Idol,

I also work for AA, and will be visiting the "schoolhouse" next week. I'll be happy to look at the latest hiring figures (hours, etc.) that are available.

Thrust Reverser - how many hours are you talking about when you say "low hour pilots"? (2000 hours may mean "low hour" to one person, but "high hour" to another). In my new-hire class the class average (military and civilian) was 4000 hours. That was a couple of years ago, but like Flite Idol said, the stack of applications from qualified applicants is still quite high.

As I said, I can try to find out the latest information. The company periodically releases compiled new-hire data, so hopefully it won't be too out-of-date.

DEFPOTEC
8th Dec 2000, 21:39
<A HREF="http://www.aapilots.com/public/flash/default.html" TARGET="_blank">AmericanAirlinesPilots</A>

Wino
9th Dec 2000, 07:31
McD,

Im in the school house for the next 6 weeks, doin the A300 upgrade thing...

Find me

Cheers
Wino

Thrust Reverser
11th Dec 2000, 09:23
Flite Idol and McD

Thanks guys.

McD, I'd appreciate it very much if you can find out for me any inside news on hirings.

When I said low hour - I mean low hour like 300 hrs total time with almost no hope at all of competing with the ones you have just described.

So guys, any idea where I would find in the big US of A who will hire a really low hour CPL and help out.

She is willing to start out in a small airline flying pistons or turbines if she can be trained.

Anybody in the inside who we can bribe ? -
just kidding fellas.

TR

[This message has been edited by Thrust Reverser (edited 11 December 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Thrust Reverser (edited 11 December 2000).]

Snakum
12th Dec 2000, 01:38
&lt;&lt;&lt; When I said low hour - I mean low hour like 300 hrs total time ... She is willing to start out in a small airline flying pistons or turbines if she can be trained &gt;&gt;&gt;

You're joking ... right?

Snakum

Thrust Reverser
12th Dec 2000, 03:02
Snakum,

Wish I was joking - but I'm serious and so is this person. I'm just trying to help her out. I know it's a long shot but somebody has to try.

Can I please just have the useful info
which can help out other people.

TR

McD
13th Dec 2000, 03:40
Snakum,

Yes, there are some airlines that offer sponsorships or "apprentice"-type training programs to low-hours pilots such as TR's friend. As far as I know (I could be wrong), there are no USA-based airlines who do this.

Thrust Reverser

I won't be at the American Airlines schoolhouse until later this week (Thursday). In the meantime, I've done some research that I hope is helpful to your friend. I am not an expert in any way, but here is what I have found so far:

Out of all of the major airlines who list total-time hours requirements on their websites, the minimum total time listed is 1000 hours. However, most listed 1200-1500 hours TT as a minimum. There were also additional sub-requirements listed such as turbine or multi-engine time (anywhere from 300-1000 minimum hours listed), PIC time (300-700 hours), and instrument time. All require a commercial certificate with an instrument rating as well. Even on the commuter airline side, many companies require in the neighborhood of 1000 hours TT. There are some exceptions, especially if the candidate has acquired an aviation degree or has completed other "formal" types of training such as a military flight school or civilian flight academy program. One commuter airline categorizes "0 to 1200 hour pilots" as "pilots with little to no experience" and the only thing they offer you is the opportunity to apply to their academy (and you pay the training costs).

As an aside, I personally detest gloom-and-doom or "naysayer" mindsets, so I do wish your friend all the best in her future flying career. Hopefully she won't be deterred from flying by the above facts, but will instead see the reality of her need for more flying experience. I commend her initiative in preparing for the ATP written exam. However, that exam is only one small step in the entire process, and more hours/experience is what is really needed. Applying to a major US airline with 300 hours is akin to applying for a PHD program with only a high-school education. The analogy may be a bit exaggerated, but you get the point that some very important steps are being skipped. The bottom line is that she needs to fly more: work toward increased ratings, certificates, and overall experience; consider becoming an instructor; consider hours-building in countries where the flying costs are relatively low. If she keeps working at it, she should attain her goals eventually.

Feel free to e-mail me (or have her e-mail me) directly if more info is needed. I'll post another reply after I get the info from AA.

RRAAMJET
13th Dec 2000, 03:59
Your friend might like to try applying to Great Lakes or Chitaqua ( can't even spell it ! ), I know they have hired some low time pilots recently.

Here at AA we are averaging 4000-hrs plus for new hires, and that probably holds for the other majors.

Good luck to her......

TowerDog
14th Dec 2000, 19:25
I got hired with AA a month ago, 11000 hours.
As mentioned earlier, yes as a civilian you need a bunch of experience and time, including Pilot In Command time, to be considered.
In my class of 54 souls, only 4 or 5 are civilians. The rest is US Air-Force, Navy and the token Marine. :)

McD, Wino and RRAAm, ya guys in the Ballpark
Inn these days? Stop by room 201.

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

[This message has been edited by TowerDog (edited 14 December 2000).]

Thrust Reverser
15th Dec 2000, 04:25
McD and the troops,

I have had discussions with my friend about her objectives and what course of action to take at this early stage of her career and believe me we spent about fifteen hours planning/discussing where to borrow more money and where to get her first job and so on. I realize she needs more hours that's why
I myself is helping her out and I think I am about to have a breakthrough in talking somebody into getting her into a jump pilot job to build hours dropping skydivers. If her financing fails I am thinking of lending her the money to finance her instructor rating and hopefully gets her into a more marketable position. I know the family and I have a feeling I will have to write off or put off my expectation to have this money recovered on a short span of time.
Somebody did this for me once and I am just repaying that good deed to me.

The other plan is to get her into an airline
which can sponsor her or take her in as is
(low hour) and train her. She had her sights for EU as well which hires low hour pilots but we'll see what the US has to offer.

In regards to RRAMJET's suggestion, I'll mention it and in her own words "BEGGARS CAN'T BE CHOOSERS" and I'll say she'll explore every possibility - I would.

Guys, any helpful info would be much appreciated - anything. She came to me for help that's why I am hoping you would be able to help her too. I think this would fall under the category " Brotherhood of Pilots ". Let's help her out guys.

Thrust Reverser

Wino
15th Dec 2000, 07:33
Towerdog.

Ahhhh, the ballpark... The blue hair lounge... All those old women at that bar are the same women that were the "puget Dares" from "An Officer and Gentleman" and they are still looking to pick up a pilot &lt;G&gt;.

Good secret. There is a little Thai food shop virtually right next door that is hidden. A good five dollar dinner of PadThai. Go out the ball park and turn left. Go to the all you can eat pizza place and enter that little strip mall. ON the other side of the laundry is a thai shop, but they never changed the sign from a mexican chicken stand. Trust me, its good.

I'll stop by one day.

I am in the maistay till the 17th of Jan.

Cheers
Wino

Snakum
15th Dec 2000, 21:44
TR ...

I apologize for sounding so flippant in my earlier post, it's just that there are probably thousands of low-hour (300 TT) CPLs here in the US who are in the same boat as your friend. In the States we unfortunately don't have the kind of internship programs available from BA, KLM, etc. where a newbie pilot can attend airline-specific training from day one and be in the right seat of an airliner 300 hours later. We have somewhat similar schemes that can be had for LOTS of money and no guarantee of a job after the 250-hours of regional SIC (Gulfstream, et al). Quite different, that.

However, based on the shortage of flight instructors in some parts of the country your friend may be able to find a small school that would sponsor an H1B visa for a CFI. Does she instruct? That's the general route here to the airlines. Instructing often leads to right seat 135 charter time after around 1000 hrs, but wouldn't she have to convert her licenses to FAA before she could instruct here? Also the H1B visa is a bitch to get folks to deal with, but it IS possible.

An idea ... I've seen ads for CFIs at some of the larger flying schools like E-R, Comair, and such. A larger school like that would perhaps be more knowlegable about visa and licensing requirements and may even be interested in a CV if she is already an instructor. Give one of them a call and try to speak with a manager-type person, as opposed to an admin flunky who may just firewall you.

Good luck to her,

Snakum

TowerDog
19th Dec 2000, 02:11
Wino:

Thanks for Thai tip.
Some recent changes in plans:
I quit my job with AA.
Got sick and tired of ground school.
Could not do it anymore. (Burned out pilot)

I was only sitting in class day dreaming about sailing and diving the sunny Carribbiean.
Going to do just that.
Sailing my boat South next month. (She is paid for)
Wife is divorcing me and most friends think I ma nuts.
Perhaps so. AA is a good place to work and I have no complains about the company or the training or anything.

Going to need a crew member or two: Any volunteers out there?

(No monkeys need apply, this will be a tough passage beating into the wind and waves all the time.)

It can take a month island hopping the Bahamas, then Turks and Caicos, then etc.

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

dingducky
19th Dec 2000, 06:48
i'll do it!!! :)

------------------
'Veni, Vidi, Velcro' - I came, I saw, I stuck around!

TowerDog
19th Dec 2000, 07:37
Okay:

If ya are serious, e-mail me at [email protected]

That is also the type of boat: CSY 33, cutter rigged sloop.
Ya pay for airfare and your own food, I pay diesel and rum. (and maintenance, insurance, etc.)
Boat is well maintained and safe with recent upgrades including SSB. (HF Radio) 4 big anchors, all High Test chain rode, new sails, strong engine, etc.

Oh, and fax resume on 1-954-467-2391.

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

Thrust Reverser
19th Dec 2000, 08:33
Snakum,

Thank you for the info. I'll keep a copy of your suggestion and as I said in the previous post we will try everything - no stone unturned basically. All possibilities will be explored. - Thanks and best regards to you and your family this Christmas.

Happy and safe flying.....

TR

flite idol
25th Dec 2000, 21:30
Hey Towerdog bring a laptop and digital camera and post some pics of your adventure. It would be great to see what life is like once you get off the hamster wheel of aviation. All the best to you and your girl friday!!!!!!

TowerDog
25th Dec 2000, 21:48
Uh, no lap top and digital camera.
Those things with salt water is like cat and dog.

It will be a tough trip down there as one will be pushing into wind and waves all the time. (Head wind)
Also occasionally wet and cold.
Nothing to glamourous with the trip down.
Once ya are in the island, the tradewinds make for some of the world best sailing.
Same with the scenery: First class.

Look for me in STX in a month or 2.

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

Wino
26th Dec 2000, 03:47
Dunno Tower,

I did nothing but daydream in ground school too (also previous boeing boy) but I did ride it out. Once you got to sim it was alright, even fun. Once you got to the checkairman I found it to be a great place.

You would have liked the Miami base, and who knows, maybe we would reopen sanjuan soon. You certainly could have commuted in from your boat in the caribbean.

That FE program was nothing but a boot camp. All you had to do was puke out the redboxes and you were drivin. Verbatim is Adaquet. I swear, next time I hear that I might climb to the top of the nearest belltower and...

Hope you atleast got a plate of PadThai before you left.

Cheers
Wino

[This message has been edited by Wino (edited 25 December 2000).]

TowerDog
26th Dec 2000, 05:33
Wino:

Uh, yeah, I should have tried the Pad Thai dish.

As for ground school with AA.
Well, I can still go back if I want.
Did not turn in resignation, just told the bossman I was unable to concentrate and needed time off. (Hoping he would give me 5 years with pay. :) :) :))

He gave me a month to think about it.
Welcomed me back Jan 13th.

Have time to think, and could ride it out if I went back. No bridges burned, but don't know that I want to fly/work anymore.

The B-727 school was not that brutal really, just booooring.

Had worse when I started with Evergreen on the DC-8 12 years ago. That was boot camp.

Still thinking, still have the choice.
We shall see.

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

Wino
26th Dec 2000, 06:17
You are absolutely right about boring.

However, My time online was great, though I am back in the school house for upgrade again. VERY quickly I accumulated enough seniority in Miami to do whatever I wanted on the panel. After two months I was 47 out of like 180 for domestic FE. Could hold lines that matched my sched. I would still be doing it if they based 727s where I live, but they don't, so back to school.

If I lived in Miami I would be on the panel till they threw me off...

I came from being an A320 captain to this, and it was REALLY hard to psyche myself up for ground school and almost quit several times as well. The 80 percent paycut had my eyes crossed as well, but now that I am through boot, I am really glad I stuck it out. For a while it was really close. I could have gone back to my old job and really thought about it everytime the alarm rang for some O'Dark early class.

Now I wouldn't be anywhere else.

Cheers
Wino

TowerDog
27th Dec 2000, 04:42
Wino:

Uh, good inspiration.
Perhaps I should go back.
Been pondering the issue a few days now.
No bridges burned, except perhaps for my wifes heart-attack.. :)

Aye, yes, AA is a good company and many of my pals think I've flipped.
Yeah, perhaps I should go back and tough it out.
Ya gonne be in Dallas the 12th or later?
What is yer new course? F/O B-727?

(Never been F/E before and it just got so dull with system this and system that and 20 min. preflight flows and etc., in the meantime my boat is sitting home waiting for that long trip down-island. She is ready and paid for, screw the school house.

Well, ya know what I mean.

Anyway, to the rest of you: Sorry about using this forum/topic as an e-mail:
Doubt it has general interest that this TowerDog walked of the job, and now perhaps doing a 180 and walking back to it. :) :) :)

We shall see.

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

Wino
27th Dec 2000, 08:04
I was never an FE either. I did 3 years as an F/O on the 727 at me previous company. The adjustment wasn't pleasent. But it was the normals and the whole concept of checklist integation and the constant hammering on the paper trainers instead of a real cpt or sim that demoralized me. I have never done well on a paper trainer, I just can't develope a rythm on them so I do poorly. I make up for it by learning extremely quickly in the real thing though.

Currently I am doing the A300 F/O thing. This class is ALOT more enjoyable. I am actually enjoying this school. Only a very small part of that is not having to put up with a roomate. You will get to much nicer hotels and lifestyles if you survive boot camp. .

Of course I have always enjoyed sim. If I had more money than brains (if that doesn't say how little money you make on probation I don't know what does :)) I would be collecting type ratings. But this course "feels" right to me, and I can't honestly say that about bootcamp.

Get out at night, eat some thai food, hit the lonestar oyster bar and hooters and suck it up. Its worth it when you are done. Don't forget, that one day you get to "back the dump truck up to the B fund!"

Cheers
Wino

PS, I will be in Dallas till the 17th, so I will find you for a beer if you come back.

[This message has been edited by Wino (edited 27 December 2000).]

TowerDog
28th Dec 2000, 03:27
Okay Wino, will let ya know if I go back.
Right now, don't know.

I have 3 type ratings plus a bunch of other stuff: Twin Eng sea plane and all that, but never really enjoyed school or check rides.
(Except perhaps the DC-3 course.)

Last job I was capt on the B-747 and had so much time in the plane I could surf through all the re-currents and stuff. Now, on the B-727 panel I actually have to know something
AND work hard. :) :) :).

Who did ya fly A-320 for? JetBlue or Air Med something?

Later.

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

Wino
28th Dec 2000, 05:14
I spent the last 6 years at a little place called Ryan International.

A few of your Tower air types were from there. I had one Towerair captain living in my basement.

Like you I was surfed through school, and didn't enjoy the systems ground school.

Cheers
Wino

TowerDog
28th Dec 2000, 06:36
Wino:

Tower Air pilot in yer basement??

Who was that?

E-mail me at [email protected] anytime

Be good.

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

RRAAMJET
2nd Jan 2001, 01:26
Wino,

e-mail me if you want to go for a beer, I live in big D not far from the mainstay. Let me have your e-mail, anyway.

Cheers, raamming speed.....

gaunty
2nd Jan 2001, 09:47
Hey Towerdog and Wino

Dont stop my heart is in my mouth waiting for the denouement.
Seriously interesting and very Ernie Gann B74 Capt one day B72 FE the next.
The story behind the stories must be fascinating. :)
Will Towerdog return to AA, is Wino going to be able to find him in Dallas and will the Cutter make it through the Bermuda Triangle?

I'm on the cusp of a fairly major career change myself, decision will be whether I throw myself back into the Bear Pit or as we say down here "pick up my doogs and go play on the beach". "doogs"=marbles.

cheers gaunty, staying tuned.

TowerDog
2nd Jan 2001, 14:35
gaunty:

Well mate, don't hold your breath on the Bermuda Triangle bit. I plan to go gunk holing down the Bahama chain and the worst possible scenario is expensive beer, not being sucked up by aliens or otherwise disappear without a trace.

Actualy pondering going back to work for AA.
Cooled of a bit and had some time to think and relax. Hard to quit a job like that even if F/E school is a bit dull.

Just have to crank up some motivation before I go back to the school house.

Hopefully happy ending on this mess. :) :)

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

Wino
2nd Jan 2001, 20:28
As for motivation. Did your wife go the first 2 days of groundschool with you? Mine went to the spouse's orientation and she made sure to end every conversation during the first few months with "Kaching, back the dumptruck up to the Bfund" to keep me motivated. It worked. That Bfund is gonna buy a HUGE boat, and a bunch of sirens who aren't even born yet to crew it as well if my marriage doesn't last that long &lt;G&gt;.

One of the other nice things was when the Miami chiefs did their orientation in the Miami base, they repeatedly said that they were there to help up make it to 60 so that we could collect our retirement.

Once you got past a career's buildup of cynicism, you realized that once you made it out of the school house everyone was looking to help you succede. After spending a 13 year career as a target in everyone's crosshairs I didn't know how to react to that and thought it must be a joke, but its real and its a nice feeling. The older guys that tell you that you are a target for management came strait out of the military and never worked for Tower/Ryan. Those few that you might find that were at Eastern or Rosenbaum etc know what being a target is really about and can give you a much clearer view from a perspective that you are used to. If you do something truly stupid expect to pay for it (unlike in the military, the blue angles getting lost over DC comes to mind) but you have played the game for a decade and know how its played and would never do anything truly stupid. This is EASY my friend. Hard work was night freight, Charter pax and International nonsked with NO duty limits. Those days are over and done.

Make sure to go home on your 48s and when you are riding home think about whether Tower or Evergreen would have shipped you home during ground school for the weekends. It was things like that which changed my expectations for what an airline career can be. You are still stuck with Tower expectations with American groudschool workloads...

Cheers
Wino

[This message has been edited by Wino (edited 02 January 2001).]

TowerDog
2nd Jan 2001, 23:06
Wino:

Good posting as usual, thanks.

Yup, the wifes came to the 2 day introduction. She loved it, rah rah and all.
(We met on an AA B-767 10 years ago, sitting next to each other in first class, she was Gold/Admirals Club frequent flier. Told her I was afraid of flying and would she hold my hand for the T/O. She did, I got her number and we married 5 months later. AA goes way back for us. :))

Fairly sure I am going back, but will know more in a day or two as the better half is returning from family visits in snow-storm country.

Will e-mail ya my cell phone number, then we can arrange a meeting in big D.

See ya then.

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

RRAAMJET
3rd Jan 2001, 07:44
GOOD posting Wino....

TowerDog:
I came from 747-400's to AA's hazing program, and wondered if I had done the right thing ( people were busting checks all around me - very un-nerving - but they had very little big-jet experience unlike you. You will be an asset from the get-go, just like they became through time.)
Wino's right: the folks in MIA are fantastic, and they are ALL there to help and have a good time. You'll love it. You will also be off the panel in weeks, and you will find FO school a whole new world of being treated like a big-boy. In fact, it was fun ( yes, really ).

On reflection, coming to AA:

BEST MOVE ON THE PLANET

(Thanks to my fellow AA'ers reading this, who make me happy driving to the airport to go to work. I'd forgotten what fun flying could be.....)

Wino
3rd Jan 2001, 08:00
RRAAMjet

Funny you should mention people busting checks all around you. I don't think that I am particularly smart, but I have never been pinked and have never even had an extra sim period in my career. Sooner or later it will happen to me, I guess it happens to everyone. However, I am afraid that should it happen the whole house of cards might come tumbling down and I might never pass another ride again. With guys busting all around me in 727 groundschool, I got real worried for a while. Of course I got through it, probably with overkill, but that was really scary for a while when people I thought were smart were getting the hook left and right...

Passed my Airbus oral last week, things are cruising now. What a great time I am having in F/O school. Great instructors, great subject matter and all the possible knowledge that I can absorb with almost no crap to waste what pitifully little brain space is left in a head composed mostly of bone...

Cheers
Wino

gaunty
3rd Jan 2001, 13:35
TowerDog

Nah you don't want to go sailing yet, believe me I tried and got seriously bored and self destructive (idle hands...... etc).

Now I understand where you came from, AA sounds like a walk in the park with all the ice cream you can eat for free and you get paid for it :)

http://disneyclipart.simplenet.com/Characters/Scrooge_McDuck/scrooge01a.gif

smith
4th Jan 2001, 04:40
Question for you AA guys. Once you transitioned to a new aircraft type, how long do you have to stay there?

Wino
4th Jan 2001, 04:58
on the current contract an upbid incurs a seatlock of 12 months, a down bid incurrs an 18 month seatlock.. Certain circumstances can break the lock but except for newhire engineers it isn't worth mentioning.

Cheers
Wino

Roadtrip
4th Jan 2001, 11:08
Don't quit TowerDog! AA is wonderful. Gut out boot camp and bid F/O. Just think, you can be in training for half of probation! F/O school is great - gentlemen's treatment and superb instruction. The line is even better. Compared to where I used to work (for a certain ACMI cargo outfit right next door to your Tower JFK office), AA is heaven.
You want to stay, trust me.

TowerDog
4th Jan 2001, 20:47
Okay all of ya, ya guys talked me into going back to work.
I am returning to 72 boot camp the 13th.
Never been plumbing so don't know if I will like it, but can see myself bidding to F/O slot asap.
Seems like a waste of time and training to complete the FE program, then 2 days later back to the school house to upgrade to right seat.

Speaking about boot camp, I did spend 5 months in Japan going through the 74 program for a major carrier over there.
Air Law Exam and Radio License Exam sure got yer attention.
Also the pressure they build up before sim training: JCAB very difficult, very difficult, you must study very hard.

This deal with AA is fairly easy compared to nip training. No real pressure on, just many boooring days in system class.

Thanks for the good advise guys and I will see ya'll in Dallas soon.
Ya'll be good, ya heah?

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

Roadtrip
4th Jan 2001, 21:31
Attaboy, now you're talk'in TowerDog. I know how you feel. I feel like I've been starting over all my life, too. But, it does keep one from falling into a comfort rut. New airplane, new people, new places, good contract, etc. If you can be at it long enough maybe you can make back some of that retirement that Tower management stole from you guys. I know it's alot of work, but you must be still young since you obviously weren't the oldest in your class (hence you got an FE slot vice F/O?). F/O training is great - very comprehensive and practical. It's not JAL where I hear they specifiy exactly which hand and finger you position switches with. Relax and consider which equipment and base you want to bid F/O for.

TowerDog
4th Jan 2001, 22:15
Roadtrip:

I am 44. (Was 43 at date of hire)
2 guys older than me in class.
The oldest one left for Fed-Ex after 2 weeks of basic indoc.

Actually Tower Air managment did not steal retirement from me, as we only had 401K.
Some other guys may still be owed un-paid wages and such.

No doubt i will enjoy working for AA, but I sort of had this bug to go cruising. Therefore the uh, decisions.
Will keep my eyes on the ball from now on and see ya Dudes in Dallas. :)

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

[This message has been edited by PPRuNe Towers (edited 05 January 2001).]

Wino
4th Jan 2001, 22:46
Dont worry a couple of weeks of vacation combined with wise bidding and you will get plenty of cruising in, while checks are still hitting the ole bank account at the same time.

Heck, Ill have my next boat soon and we can go flotilla style through the Islands...

Cheers
Wino

gaunty
5th Jan 2001, 15:56
Yay

Onya TD

Ernie, Gann or Hemingway take your pick, eat your heart out. :)

smith
7th Jan 2001, 21:32
RRAAMJET:

Did you fly a CF18 in the military?

NG_Kaptain
8th Jan 2001, 03:40
TowerDog,
I've never applied, but how would my resume look to the chief pilot. 14,000 hrs total. D-18 C46, 707, DC6, HS 748, DC 9-30/50, MD-83, L1011 and 737-700/800. Not too hard to figure out who I fly for. Pay sucks but fantastic job satisfaction and very nice home base. Am a US citizen with US CPL and CAA ATP, Perf A and most of the above type ratings. Age 48 and of Caribbean/Caucasian heritage. And how hard is it to get a MIA base to be close to the Caribbean?

TowerDog
8th Jan 2001, 16:37
NG:

They are recruiting folks with experience for a change. Sure ya get in on your time, but age-wise it may be last change: Some guy in my class was 47.
Have not met any older new-hire.
(They have an un-official cut-off for age, and can't make it public as they could get sued for age discrimenation.)

Better Fed-Ex yer papers in.
MIA base goes junior, ya get it right away.

Good luck.

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

SunSeaSandfly
10th Jan 2001, 08:31
Agree with you, NG, great outfit, great routes, LOUSY PAY. Let's get negotiating, comrade.

------------------
fly low, bite hard

TowerDog
10th Jan 2001, 20:33
Uh, so who do ya guys fly for?
Ryan has B-737 NG, but no L-10s?

Or is it BWIA?

(Great flying but low pay?)

------------------
Men, this is no drill...

SunSeaSandfly
12th Jan 2001, 00:45
Ryan ain't Caribbean, TowerDog, guess that narrows it down!

------------------
fly low, bite hard

Anthony2107
15th Jan 2001, 02:58
Any of you guys care to help a poor old wannabe with less than 500 hours get a flying job in the US ?

Thanks

A2107

OzExpat
9th Feb 2001, 19:50
So, TD, I've been following this story with great interest -- real seat of the chair stuff! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif So here it is with a great deal of time having past.

In the meantime, history has been made in some respects, presidents have cum and gone, even Israel has a new leader. So...

What's the latest scoop with you? Did you tuff-out boot camp? Have you done the F/O thing yet? Or did you finally decide to go sailing after all?

Hmmm, so many questions ... so little time! :)

------------------
Once a king, always a king.
But once a nite's barely adequate!

Roadtrip
9th Feb 2001, 20:08
NG CAPTAIN -
There was a guy in a class that was 51, but probably had a US ATP, military background, and a bachelors degree (same as Perf A's??) A friend of mine who is from South Africa was just hired by AAL. MIA is junior and lots of new-hires get assigned there.

Wino
10th Feb 2001, 04:27
Last I heard TD was a day before his oral and doing well, but I've been busy and couldn't follow up...

He had the right attitude though, one day at a time, like a 12 step program...

Cheers
Wino