PDA

View Full Version : A380 Decompression

bossan
3rd Feb 2009, 23:34
Recently had the pleasure of flying the awsome ( but ugly ) A380.

Can anyone tell me how the floorventing of the uppermost deck works?

Flight Detent
4th Feb 2009, 00:48
I'm guessing the detail will be within those series of DC-10 cargo door accidents a few years ago!

Cheers

bossan
4th Feb 2009, 01:46
Yes, the Windsor and Paris accidents are the reasons me asking this question.

Looking upwards from the lower passenger area, I do not see any evidence of slots or flaps which would release - the relative - overpressure from the uppermost compartiment.

I actually asked the cocpit crew and they told me that there was nothing mentioned in their on board library.

I wonder....

Rainboe
4th Feb 2009, 08:48
The vents are probably concealed in the sidewalls behind the side panels, where there is structural space to allow for the ribs and stringers and whatever holds the skin on. This space also takes all the airconditioning ducting, so there is more room there than you may realise. Unlikely they would be in the floor/ceiling to allow maximum flexibility of the cabins. You may rest assured designers are very aware of this problem since the AA/THY DC10 accidents in the 70s- that THY one especially is remembered as one of the worst in Europe. Similarly the floor of the main cabin and the cargo hold will be able to vent into each other in the same way.