PDA

View Full Version : Jaguar landing at Leeds airport?

Speedbird777
20th Nov 2001, 22:05
Was walking home today (live near Leeds airport) and heard a loud roar. Turned to see a jag (I think?) landing at Leeds airport. Lived here for 4 years and never seen anything military land there - any info guys?

Iain
20th Nov 2001, 22:35
I am not sure over in the UK, but I remember flying in and out of KSNA seeing some Marine Helicopters do low approaches.

Roundout
20th Nov 2001, 23:51
Fannnntastic gen Iain. Let me get this right - Speedblimp777 asks whether any of us have the foggiest what a Jag was doing at Leeds, UK and you have a brainf@rt about having seen marine choppers shooting :eek:low :eek: approaches in the US. There's a village out there that needs you my boy .

NextLeftAndCallGround
20th Nov 2001, 23:53
Bit of a novelty to see anything land there isn't it? ;)

tony draper
20th Nov 2001, 23:59
Bit far north for the Beast of Bodmin,
Although I think thats a Puma not a Jaguar. ;)

Speedbird777
21st Nov 2001, 01:10
Was a little puzzled by Ian's reply. Found it strange that it landed at Leeds when Church Fenton and Linton on Ouse are so close. Was a great site though.

chiglet
21st Nov 2001, 01:15
S777,
It's SOP [Standard Operating Procedure] for the UK Military to do "Practice Diversions" to most Civil A/Fs in the UK.
EG, Hawks:- Valley to Liverpool/Warton VFR return.
Jetstream/HS125s Cranwell Navex, plus Approach and 'Go Around' at TeesSide/Leeds/Newcastle
Leeming [Tornado F3's] Linton [Tucans] ALL do Navex/Airways Training and 75% end up in an "approach" to a Civvie airfield
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Speedbird777
21st Nov 2001, 04:24
Thanks chiglet. Just never seem em fly into them before.

kriskross
21st Nov 2001, 15:27
Saw the Puma at Belfast Aldergrove this morning, it does get around doesn't it!!!

Arkroyal
21st Nov 2001, 18:53
But can the thing get out again? Does not the Jag use the curvature of the earth to get airborne? So 2000mtrs or so at 600+ ft AMSL could be fun :eek:

Speedbird777
21st Nov 2001, 19:11
Happened again today!?!? Not 100% sure it was a Jag - v.small + v. fast + v.noisy - definitly fast jet

Bervie
21st Nov 2001, 20:13
Leeds is quite a common Practice Div for the Hawks out of Valley if nowhere else will accept them for an approach. Little further away than Warton/Blackpool but better than none at all. Coventry for night PD`s is quite common too. And if the jet should unfortunately have a minor snag, Leeds is a great night stop compared to Holyhead!
;) :cool: ;)

tony draper
21st Nov 2001, 20:34
A Jag flew low over Newcastle today, first time I've ever seen one of them puppies,generaly just the odd F3 from Leeming I suppose, normaly way up aheight.
Made my day. ;)

javelin
22nd Nov 2001, 03:02
I wonder if it autolanded ? :D :D

Speedbird777
22nd Nov 2001, 04:36
Do military jets have the facility to autoland?

Ray Darr
22nd Nov 2001, 16:53
You asked: "facility" to autoland...

Well, (having autolanded at Leeds before myself...) I would like to point out (to the chorus of many “Boo’s!” out there!) that there are many "facilities" capable of autolanding even a Mallard DUCK - IF the (duck) is so equipped!!
:D :D :D

Serious answer: NO IDEA what has autoland capability in the armed forces (of whoever's country). You'd think at least the C-17 is? :confused: I’ll defer that answer to those that salute for a living! :D I seriously doubt the Jaguar (or anything in that category) can autoland (but I’ve been wrong before!).

Leeds is a regular diversionary practice aerodrome, by the way. I have to agree with one poster thatLeeds makes for a darn sight better overnight stop than many on HM’s approved diversionary list!

Leeds can be a whopper of a place to LAND at, yet alone autoland. Landing north, that darn strip drops away EXACTLY at the point the rubber-bits normally tend to kiss the ground, so you can wind up chasing terra-firma for an uncomfortable length of time. Throw in the Autoland equation, and add the manufacturers recommended maximum tailwind component and you have a VERY interesting arrival. In my opinion even HALF the recommended tailwind is a tad on the “holy CRA-P!” end of the scale. Ahh the memories…

By the way, last time I was in the Lake District I had the CRAP spooked out of me (and Mrs. Darr) when two of Her Majesty's finest winged-wonders shot past us AT EYE-LEVEL at a fabulous rate (somewhere near Hardknott pass - FABULOUS place, huh?!). It brought a "Go Get'Em Boys!" cheer from both of us those magnificent Jaguars headed west! :D

~Ray Darr

(Edited to add in some reminiscing)

[ 22 November 2001: Message edited by: Ray Darr ]

ops_bored
22nd Nov 2001, 20:06
If anyone is night stopping at Leeds,
here is a little tip.
Jump into a taxi and head for Otley
(about 5 miles and 6 Quid)
A great night out with propper beer,
you can stand on just about any street
corner and see at least 3 other pubs.

Wish I still lived there!!!

Alcohol, letting ugly people have sex since 1669!!! :D :D :D

BRL
23rd Nov 2001, 02:24
...and is the Drapester a secret ' spotter '.?

tony draper
23rd Nov 2001, 02:46
Negative, one just appreciates, a good piece of engineering, Draper always looks up when he hears a strange engine sound.
If visiting the Londonderry Lorry park Cafe, at Leeming one would take ones pot of tea and egg butty and sit beside the runway and watch the F3's at play for a while.
One always intended to visit the Leeming air show, but it was one of those things one would always do next year alas.
One can also recognise the various craft our brave aviators drive, but one is hardly qualified as a spotter. ;) ;)

Steepclimb
23rd Nov 2001, 07:37
You know I saw a Hawk landing at Ronaldsway once, actually there were nine painted red. I was amazed.
Then there was the time I saw bus on the M6 it was red too.........

RAF Rupert
23rd Nov 2001, 21:00
Not sure about the Jag, but the Tucano definately has autoland. Only good piece of kit in the kite. Cleared VMC use only though, due to FM immunity snags.

KD
23rd Nov 2001, 21:17
I remember using the auto land on the Tucano back in 99 . The system is more of a back up one. You would set up as for a PAR and the system would monitor the inputs . It would kick in ( usually a violent movement of the stick without your own doing ) and land for you , disengaging for the taxi back.

Agree with RAF , it is a great bit of kit and you always knew you`d get back on the ground.

I believe the Hawk used in Canada has a voice activated ILS ? I hear the pilots take out cassetes to the aircraft with their words " Up ,down , left , right , a little bit , too much , more , less , hold it there " programmed on to it. This is used in conjuction with the HUD and can be linked up between Hawks for pairs ILS .

Sounds a bit far fetched to myself , but there you go . :confused:

[ 23 November 2001: Message edited by: KD ]

LambJalfraezi
25th Nov 2001, 09:12
RAF aircraft with autoland...generally not, although c-17's a bit clever! We wouldn't bother to use it if they could, mind you. We're all here because we love to fly, and the harder it gets, the more fun it is. Computers are for surfing, not flying...get your hands on the controls and put her where ya want her!

' I did that on purpose you know...I didn't have to miss'

[ 25 November 2001: Message edited by: LambJalfraezi ]

Mycroft
25th Nov 2001, 16:13
Steepclimb - are you sure you counted right? The Red Arrows normally deploy with 10 a/c in case one goes tech; their displays don't work very well with only 8.

Steepclimb
25th Nov 2001, 21:59
No Mycroft, it was nine post display, displays work even less well with ten. I taxyed in with them, it was so tempting to call myself Red Ten on R/T. It was quite a moment taxying in with the Red Arrows, although I was a bit of a Cuckoo as I was flying a 172 at the time.

Happy days.