PDA

View Full Version : Designation of variant 737-8AS

Mighunter
31st Jan 2009, 17:13
Good Evening,

Just wondering what exactly the variant -8AS refers to. I understand obviously that the 8 denotes the 800 series 737, but I cannot seem to find any information on the latter part of the variant designator. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

The Mighunter

frogone
31st Jan 2009, 17:32
When Boeing build an aircraft the first operator gets a designator. So -8AS is Ryanair. If the aircraft moves to another operator eg VARIG, it will still maintain -8AS and won't revert to VARIG's designator if they have one.

IR

Mr.Kite
31st Jan 2009, 17:33
"AS" is simply the designation that Boeing give to Ryanair 737-800s. For Thomson they're known as 737-8K5, Air Berlin 737-8Q8 etc......

Think it's the same for all Boeing aircraft - BA 744s are 747-436, Qantas' are 747-438s etc.

Mighunter
31st Jan 2009, 17:36
Brilliant, many thanks for clearing that up, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something more technical!

The Mighunter

BelArgUSA
31st Jan 2009, 18:54
When I have an aviation "general subject" question...
I simply take my computer and click in "www.google" first...!
As an example - google gives "Boeing customer numbers",,,
That directs me often into second - the criticized but excellent "Wikipedia"...
Funny is, you can even put the question in a few languages too.
I have seen Wikipedia making errors, but it is rare, aviation or other subjects.
And then, if that still does not work, third - I finally type the question on Pprune.
This avoids the famous question "what is...?" -
Followed by 10 to 20 answers that could be replaced by a short one.
And then an idiot like me suggesting "google" or "wikipedia"...
How simple life is, for some of us... but takes years of life experience...!
xxx
:8
Happy contrails

P.S. I believe the Boeing customer number listing was requested many times in our forums.

PT6Power
28th Nov 2011, 21:28
Just in case you missed it.
Here it is:

Boeing customer codes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Boeing_customer_codes)

Kind regards!

misd-agin
29th Nov 2011, 01:31
googled - Boeing 737-8AS.

Fairly easy to figure out it was RyanAir.

-x36 is BA

-x38 is Quantas

Mr @ Spotty M
29th Nov 2011, 07:31
You will find Q8 is ILFC the leasing company, not Air Berlin, looks like Air Berlin is 6J.
This just shows how many a/c Air Berlin are leasing and not buying.