PDA

View Full Version : Hour building abroad towards CPL?

hightower1986
30th Jan 2009, 21:26
Hi im going to New Zealand next month for a holiday and to do my PPL, but im wondering if its worth me doing the hour building over there if i am wanting to do my CPL over here? Such as 25hrs min PIC for my PPL, plus whatever hour building i do? 40 hours etc, can i put these towards my CPL over here once i convert to a JAA PPL? and do my exams flight and test again? cheers

BackPacker
31st Jan 2009, 07:49
I don't know exactly what you want to achieve but I assume you eventually want to end up with a JAA CPL? In that case you might be better off in the Professional Studies forum, but anyway:

The entry requirements for a JAA CPL are, amongst others, an ICAO PPL. Doesn't matter if that PPL is JAA, FAA or something else. So you can do the full NZ PPL and use that as the entry to your JAA CPL. And incidentally, the UK allows you to fly G-reg aircraft within UK airspace on any ICAO PPL without a complicated validation process. So there really should not be a reason for you to convert from an NZ PPL to a JAA PPL somewhere along the line, unless you plan to do some G-reg flying in mainland Europe. And even then you can probably request waivers from the relevant authorities.

The other requirement for a JAA CPL is a certain number of experience hours as PIC. It really doesn't matter on which license you flew them, and where you flew them. The only restriction on those hours would probably be the aircraft type, I guess. Cannot have 100s of hours PIC in a hot air balloon and all count them towards a CPL(A).

IO540
31st Jan 2009, 08:07
And incidentally, the UK allows you to fly G-reg aircraft within UK airspace on any ICAO PPL without a complicated validation process. So there really should not be a reason for you to convert from an NZ PPL to a JAA PPL somewhere along the line, unless you plan to do some G-reg flying in mainland Europe. And even then you can probably request waivers from the relevant authorities.

You don't need waivers.

The ability to fly a G-reg on any ICAO PPL is valid worldwide.

It is up to the State of Registry what privileges (if any) a particular piece of paper gives you in a plane of their registry.