PDA

View Full Version : Trial lesson!

ricster
30th Jan 2009, 13:04
I've just saved for a month of not going out and living on cheap super noodles.

My first trial lesson is next Tuesday! For my next lesson I might sell my beloved guitar :bored:

Just thought I'll share with you guys:ok:

Ric
P.S. Im currently at university

SW1
30th Jan 2009, 13:17
All I can say mate is try and get a job whilst at Uni.

A friend of mine I studied with at Uni got herself a job at a nearby GA airfield, whilst studying for her PPL.

By the end of it she was pretty much flying and not paying, the deal was she got the aircraft for £70 Wet/hour and they took that out of her wages, which was about £7/hour.

The PPL can pay itself if you ask around.

Hakeem
30th Jan 2009, 13:25
Really i'm proud of you......
Proud to have such a guy in our pilot's community too........
God bless you......
I'm sorry i can't say anything else like others because i have no exp. lie that......
Take care and please be concentrate in lessons rest is with god.........
All The Best........:ok:

Keygrip
30th Jan 2009, 13:28
ricster, whilst I *truly* welcome you to PPRuNe and to the joy of the aviation industry, could I ask you to nip into the university library and research the definition of the word(s) "professional training" as seen at the top of this forum.

I'll move you to "Private Flying".

Really hope you enjoy the training as much as we did.

There's a whole boat load of experience in the pages of PPRuNe - but, be warned, there's a definate trend to people wanting you to at least attempt research before asking some of the questions.

mad_jock
30th Jan 2009, 13:44
mate powered is OK but expensive.

Go and see if your uni has got a gliding club. You get more time in the air per buck through gliding than anything else. Even if you decided to go further onto commercial what you learn is not wasted.

The number of large tin drivers who strap themselves into a glider every day they can is rather large

airborne_artist
30th Jan 2009, 13:55
In terms of improving your chances at RN FATs/OASC then paying £120+ per hour for powered flying probably isn't the best use of your money. Gliding would be cheaper and just as good at developing the hand/stick/rudder skills.

Lister Noble
30th Jan 2009, 14:00
Could pay for all your lessons if you get enough gigs!
I've still got mine:ok:

nick14
30th Jan 2009, 14:14
Have you tried investing your student loan?

My sister did some creative banking and managed to buy a brand new car on leaving uni, 10 grands worth would easily pay for your PPL and enough to kick start your living after!!

Just an idea. But please don't sell the guitar, or if you do, sell it to me:E

N

Pitts2112
30th Jan 2009, 14:38
I've just saved for a month of not going out and living on cheap super noodles.

Get used to that. After you've had your first lesson, you'll be hooked and that's life as a PPL. When you start measuring goods and services in units of flying hours, then you're fully converted and there is little hope of recovering your bank balance.

"Hmmm...I could take my girlfriend out for dinner, but that money would buy a half hour in a 152...hmmmm..."

:)

Humaround
30th Jan 2009, 18:09
Perhaps investing your student loan may not be the most intelligent thing to do right at the moment - at least if you lose it all on flying lessons you will have had a good time!

Vems
30th Jan 2009, 19:37
"When you start measuring goods and services in units of flying hours, then you're fully converted and there is little hope of recovering your bank balance."

That's why I hardly go out :E

Mike Parsons
31st Jan 2009, 08:47
Oh no, I have this illness too!!! :}

Genghis the Engineer
31st Jan 2009, 10:44
I'm worse, I do it in different currencies called "Thruster", "Stinson" and "Arrow".

G

K.Whyjelly
31st Jan 2009, 11:57
Don't know if it still holds true but when I was at uni last century (oh gaawd I feel old just writing that) there was an outfit called the University Air Squadron in which I did lots of flying and almost won a trophy or two and all for just the cost of lots of beer when you screwed up!! Although geared towards Mil pilots (at least it was) there was no requirement to continue on and join the Armed Forces at the conclusion of your degree course.

21st Century studes or even searching the Mil forum may bring a more up to date "State of the Nation" with regards current UAS procedures and requirements.

Just a thought.................................

airborne_artist
31st Jan 2009, 17:33
KY - he's already tried to get into the UAS - some comments from him about this on the Mil forum, if you check his past posts.