PDA

View Full Version : External Fuselage Light

UnderASouthernSky
27th Jan 2009, 16:34
After noticing an A320 yesterday landing yesterday, I wondered what the purpose of this light is, since it doesn't seem to be on (or installed) by all operators of the A320 - though I have noticed it on other a/c types such as A300 and DC-10.

The light is approx halfway between the cockpit and the wing, just below the windows maybe. I noticed it on the port side, but I guess there is probably one on the starboard as well.

What does it do, and why might some operators not use/need it?

privateer01
27th Jan 2009, 16:38
You refering to the one that angles off to about a 45 degree angle?

Might be a turn light so you can see where the taxiway is.

gatbusdriver
27th Jan 2009, 16:42
Probably the wing light.......lights up the the leading edge.

UnderASouthernSky
28th Jan 2009, 00:17
Thanks for your suggestions.

I did wonder if it was to enable the crew to see the wing/engine etc during the dark. But from my position, I couldn't work out if the light was angled in that direction - nor see who the operator was.

I did a quick search at airliners.net and came up with 2 pictures which seem to show it in more detail... though not really assisting me.

1st is a JetBlue A320 departing JFK on 03/01/2009. The light is on, beneath the 6th window but it doesn't seem bright (may be due to light conditions.

2nd is a Lufthansa A320 on the ground at Alexandria in January 2009. The light is off, but you can make out the position of it under the 6th window.