PDA

View Full Version : UK Tax Question

Seymour Skinner
26th Jan 2009, 15:54
Apologies if this isn't the right forum for this question or if it's been answered fully elsewhere but I've tried searching and can't find anything. I'm sure the question that I have must have been raised many times before by the pprune expat community.

I've been offered a job outside the EU that would leave me as non-resident in the UK for tax purposes. I understand that I will only be allowed to spend 91 days a year in the UK (on average) and I also know about the recent rule changes regarding entry days. The question that I have is based on the fact that Heathrow is one of the destinations of this potential employer. I don't know how often I am likely to fly there or if it will ever be more than a one-night stopover but I am very interested to learn how those wonderful people at HMRC treat such stopovers by UK tax exiles. It would seem very unfair if I were to manage my annual days in the UK very carefully only to be rostered a couple of trips to LHR and find myself over the limit.

I don't know if I'll be accepting this position and obviously I will be getting professional advice if I do decide to go ahead but this issue must have come up many times before for expat pilots on pprune so any hard knowledge on this issue would be very gratefully received.