PDA

View Full Version : PPL licence with ATPL exams?

evabalfe
26th Jan 2009, 02:14
Is it possible to use my ATPL theory exams in place of PPL theory exams for a PPL licence? I originally sat my PPL exams a few years ago but didnt get my PPL while they were valid. Ive now completed my ATPL exams and want to finish my PPL and was wondering if the ATPL exams will cover me or do I have to go do the PPL ones again?

Keygrip
26th Jan 2009, 02:38
Under which national authority?

evabalfe
26th Jan 2009, 02:48
I sat all my exams with the Irish Aviation Authority.

S-Works
26th Jan 2009, 06:40
As I understand it, yes. The ATP theory over rides the PPL.

BEagle
26th Jan 2009, 06:43
Certainly the holder of a valid pass for the JAR-FCL CPL(A) or ATPL(A) theoretical knowledge examinations is credited any PPL(A) theoretical knowledge examination requirements in the UK - so it's probably the same in Ireland?
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg
Don't forget your RT licence requirements though!

evabalfe
26th Jan 2009, 08:42
Thanks for your help guys. I actually decided to give the IAA a call just to be sure and as it turns out they wont count them, so I have to go back and do my PPL exams again:confused:..makes no sense!

2close
26th Jan 2009, 09:19
I had always understood that a pre-requisite of taking the ATPL exams is being in possession of a current, valid PPL issued in accorance with ICAO Annex 1, so strictly speaking you should not have been able to sit the ATPL exams in the first place.

However, saying this, I cannot find anything in JAR FCL 1 to this effect so maybe that is an urban myth.

I recently discussed a similar issue with the UK CAA and they were perfectly happy to accept passes at ATPL level in Air Law, HP&L & RT for conversion of a FAA PPL to a UK issued JAR PPL.

Looks like the IAA is being a tad pedantic.

evabalfe
26th Jan 2009, 14:48
Im coming from the military so it may be slightly different. The first licence ur awarded would be an ATPL so we just studied for the ATPL theory exams from day one. Originally I completed the PPL ground school as a civvie but theyre out of date now. I do have 70 hours logged but no licence and in terms of ground school even though Ive done both PPL and ATPL neither are any use to me...:(

Keygrip
26th Jan 2009, 15:01
I appreciate it wasn't your question - but why do you want to gain a PPL having just (just?) gone through the ATPL exams?

If you are military pilot then convert directly to CPL.? No?

Not quite sure what you are trying to achieve, how quickly, and why.

evabalfe
26th Jan 2009, 15:24
I was on a military wings course but failed it after 70 hours. I havent really decided yet if I want to go back and train as a civilian commercial pilot but I do want something to show for my 70 hours so I thought Id try and finish off a PPL first.

Keygrip
26th Jan 2009, 16:12
Ahhhh..not even sure that the military hours would count then. Could be that the instructor(s) were military qualified only and, if they had no JAA recognition, then all may be lost.

As others have said, how come you managed to sit "modular" ATPL exams without being a licence holder or military wings holder?

All irrelevant, really, in terms of your question.

Last I heard from the UK authorities is that PPL Air Law covers National legislation relevant to a PPL holder. ATPL Air Law covers international legislation relevant to an experienced professional pilot.

I can see why they don't mix.

However, if your PPL exams have expired, and the IAA will not allow the ATPL papers, your choices would appear to be either do the PPL exams again - or ask the UK authorities if they would accept your ATPL passes (depends where you did them) and then finish the PPL course under their legislation. You'll get the same JAA PPL whichever way you go.

I have a sheet of paper with an exam pass on my desk in front of me - expires on January 31st and I don't have time to do the flight test so, I gotta do it again. My fault.

"Them's the rules."

mad_jock
26th Jan 2009, 16:34
Think you can still count 10 hours of it towards the ppl.

evabalfe
26th Jan 2009, 16:53
Thanks for your help guys!