PDA

View Full Version : Logging hrs on small jets SP

donPablo
25th Jan 2009, 20:44
Hello,

does anyone know how are the guys logging their hours when flying a small jet (VLJ) in "multi crew" because of company's policy but the a/c is a single pilot cerified.
I mean all this in JAR enviroment. Can this kind of a/c be certified, somehow as a multi-pilot if its used in commercial air transport, are there any regulations about aircraft specification to be in JAR23 or JAR25 or maybe they're just flying : "one leg mine, second yours" ?

Superpilot
26th Jan 2009, 08:30
"one leg mine, second yours" ?

If it's certified for 'multi-crew', you get all the benefits of multi-crew. Including the ability to log P1 or P2 as applicable :ok:

donPablo
26th Jan 2009, 18:11
Yep, "If it's certified"... but what if its private-owned jet (VLJ) which is normally certified for single pilot ops but flies destinations such as LHR or FRA where the owner wants to have two pilots on board, then is it a big issue to make it multi-crew, shall we have some certified ops-instruction or what ?

I belive there are many jets like this ie. Citations, how are they dealing with that ?
I totally don't know anything about this JAR23/25 things, and what about the "cruise relief pilot" is it also for multi-crew only.

redsnail
26th Jan 2009, 20:41
It does depend on a few things.

Does your operations manual specify 2 crew? (Regardless of what the aircraft manufacturer says)
Does the country of registration specify number of crew for the operation?

Find out these answers and then go to your authority to establish what you can log.

buzzc152
27th Jan 2009, 12:30
My understanding is that if you fly a single pilot a/c but according to your company SOPs or AOC that it is operated multi crew then you log the hours exactly as you would for an MPA. If you need the hours to unfreeze your ATPL then a letter from your company confirming the aircraft is operated multi-crew to your CAA should be sufficient.

bfisk
27th Jan 2009, 13:13
What buzzc152 said. That's how we do it where I work :)