PDA

View Full Version : A320 family nosegear canted forward

rooaaiast
25th Jan 2009, 19:53
I operate A320 aircraft and have wondered why the nosegear leg is canted forward.
From ramp observation, the design isn't copied on any other Airbus, or Boeing.
It appears to transfer all the load onto the inner tyre during turns, and seems to work against the trailing-arm effect for a loss-of-hydraulics landing.
Anyone know the technical reason for the unique layout?

Cardinal
26th Jan 2009, 01:27
To expedite tire changes? In all seriousness, the Douglas tiwns, DC-9, etc, also had some forward cast, not very noticeable due to a shorter gear leg. FWIW the Airbus main gear legs are canted aft, no doubt to absorb my earth-shaking landings straight-up-and-down.

Excellent question.

IFixPlanes
26th Jan 2009, 07:08
Anyone know the technical reason for the unique layout?The wheels return freely to the center position. (inclination is 9°)

TURIN
26th Jan 2009, 10:23
Think the BAC 1-11 had a similar layout. Like the man says, quick wheel change without the need of a jack. :O

Never did it myself of course. :=

barit1
26th Jan 2009, 13:01
Not unique, and the idea dates back to at least the Lockheed Constellation (ca. 1940).
http://www.aviation-history.com/lockheed/twasc2a.jpg

ChristiaanJ
26th Jan 2009, 13:45
The wheels return freely to the center position. (inclination is 9°)
Sounds perfectly plausible.
In which case the idea goes back as far as the invention of the bike :)

forget
26th Jan 2009, 14:53
Everything you'll ever need to know about landing gear geometry - apart from why nose legs may be canted. :hmm:

http://www.ae.metu.edu.tr/~ae451/LandingGear.pdf

CV880
27th Jan 2009, 02:29
I think you will find all Douglas tricycle landing gear aircraft have canted nose gears (DC4 thru MD11). I always understood it was for caster similar to a bicycle or motorbike. On Douglas aircraft the center of the nose wheel axle was mounted on the centerline of the inner cylinder whereas other designers used a trailing axle to achieve caster ie. the axle was behind the centerline of the oleo strut thus obtaining caster effect like a trolley wheel.
Having said that I don't know why the A320 family is the only Airbus product to use a canted nose gear.

barit1
27th Jan 2009, 21:57
Here's one of three Lockheed 12-A's fitted with fixed tri-gear. This one was known as a C-40B (USAAC - 1939).

http://www.aerofiles.com/lockheed-c40b.jpg

(I note they didn't want to worry about tail strikes - :})

stilton
28th Jan 2009, 07:17
Bad idea really, had the same canted nosegear on the MD80. During tight turns, as previously mentioned, the outside nosewheel would be clear of the ground, providing minimal steering authority, on a wet or icy ramp this quickly became nonexistent :confused:

barit1
28th Jan 2009, 13:49
Pure speculation - Do you think this may have been a factor in the CO 735 departing the runway at KDIA on TO?

JFA
28th Jan 2009, 17:37
barit1,

Talk about the potatoe in a fruit party...

stilton
29th Jan 2009, 02:33
Well no, Boeing's do not have canted nosegear :suspect:

barit1
29th Jan 2009, 12:33
I withdraw my speculation - more homework was needed. :O