PDA

View Full Version : engine failure on an airway

benji123
25th Jan 2009, 12:46
Can anyone tell me -if you lose an engine on an airway what do u do?...question that came up at aer lingus interview..:ok:

westinghouse
25th Jan 2009, 13:45
inform ATC.
if you cant infrom them get off the airway. ( 90 deg turn etc....)

bucket_and_spade
25th Jan 2009, 13:52
Begin driftdown (if required) and consider a turn to clear the airway.

411A
25th Jan 2009, 16:24
Can anyone tell me -if you lose an engine on an airway what do u do?...question that came up at aer lingus interview..

Happened recently on my flight.
Requested lower from ATC and promptly received same.
No drama whatsoever.

This was followed by an engine out ferry for the required maintenance (high speed gearbox change), airplane back in normal service in four hours.

benji123
25th Jan 2009, 17:31
hi there..thanks for that..if you cant maintain the airway altitude is it compulsory to do a 90 degree turn..i cant find it any of my books..thanks for your help

Airbus Girl
25th Jan 2009, 18:57
Off the top of my head - most airways in Europe are now RVSM so you might find it under the RVSM rules....

Old Smokey
26th Jan 2009, 04:10
benji123, You will find information regarding the 90 degree turn in the North Atlantic procedures (I'm away from home and can't quote any reference). Such a procedure, to the best of my knowledge applies to a "RAPID" descent such as that following depressurisation, and not particularly applicable to the more leisurely drift-down following engine failure. Good airmanship still dictates an appropriate (away from the majority of traffic) turn away from the airway.

As a point of reassurance, the aircraft should be able to maintain cruise level for several minutes following engine failure with MCT set and allowing deceleration to drift-down speed in level flight. On several REAL tests which I've done in evaluating drift-down, there's quite a lengthy level flight period before drift-down speed is reached and the aircraft rolls over to maintain the speed. (This doesn't apply if you're flying ridiculously high and close to minimum speed, one more good reason to not go there).

In a good VHF or CPDLC environment there's more than adequate time to gain clearance for descent. A bad HF area is a genuine worry!:bored:

Best Regards,

Old Smokey

westinghouse
26th Jan 2009, 14:32
yep like when your with mumbai hf.
absoultely no chance. even if you did youll prob keep hearing " stand by... stand by ".:}

benji123
26th Jan 2009, 16:12
thanks all!

capt.sparrow
29th Jan 2009, 14:16
How about setting TA only on your transponder as you'll have trouble with complying with some RA's??