PDA

View Full Version : Logging P1 U/S

Soap Box Cowboy
24th Jan 2009, 19:06
This came up in a discusion today and was wondering if anyone can shed any light on it. Tried searching for it on here, I'm sure there is a thread somewhere in here.

The question is about logging P1 U/S I've always understood it to mean that you have the relevant P1 rating on the aircraft and you are flying under the supervision of an instructor.

I've heard of some eager chaps that log P1 U/S whilst flying as F/O's and during the leg when they are PF, all this is from left seat in a multi crew aircraft.

To me this sounds completly wrong and illegal, but then again in this industry you get plenty of enterprising chaps that should have their log book cover contain this note "I dedicate this work of fiction to the Civil Aviation Authority"

Anyone that can help me with this would be greatly appreciated, links proving or disproving this would be greatly appreciated also.

Pull Up Whoop Whoop
24th Jan 2009, 19:53
When I started flying a mulit crew a/c I only had 120 hrs P1, as I still do. To unfreeze the ATPL, as I understand, you need 250 hrs P1. I was told by the CAA to log all my hrs as PF under the P1 u/s column, and PNF hrs as co-pilot. The first 130 hrs as PF (P1 u/s) would then have to be countersigned by the cpt, but this would then count toward my P1 total. Beyond the 250 hrs P1, P1 u/s has no real relevance, its the P1 that counts. Hope that helps??

Airbus Girl
25th Jan 2009, 19:05
I was told that all time in RHS as FO, when it is your leg (ie. you are Pilot Flying) in a multi-crew aircraft is PIC u/s because you have the same licence and requirements, and do the same job as the person in the LHS from a flying-the-aircraft point of view. My licence actually says I have a type rating for the aircraft, and I think my old CAA licence actually said P1 or P2 in it. I believe (don't quote me!) that acting as Captain and sitting in the LHS is actually a company thing rather than a CAA thing, but I may be wrong. ie. I don't think they issue you with a different licence as FO or Captain but you must pass the company command course to operate as a Captain. ie. John Travolta could be Captain on any of his aircraft as he has a type rating for him, he owns them, so its up to him!!!

Rainboe
25th Jan 2009, 20:24
I agree with the last 2 comments. It looks like the soap box cowboy has preconceived ideas and just used his 'question' to express an opinion before any answers came in!

Oxidant
25th Jan 2009, 22:40
Please read "LASORS" . Download from CAA website & read the section on "logging flight time"